Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Making "decent" money through playing D3?

I am new to the Diablo series. I will be buying D3 just because I'm trying all types of games these days. What got me interested is the real money auction house. But my question is, is it actually going to be possible to profit from this game? I noticed there is something like a total of 30% fee of overall sale on an item if you want to transfer it from your battlenet "wallet" to your paypal and then of course finally to your actual bank account.

That said, any extra money helps. How much do you think it will be possible to earn playing D3 for say as-long as you raid in WoW per week. I see the "cap" on a sale per item is $250 so if you do manage to sell something for $250 after all the fee's you'd have $175 cash in your bank.

People from countries with crap currency could benefit a ton from playing this, from turning their loot into USD, then USD into their own currency.
    Last edited by Friendlychap; 2012-05-14 at 03:42 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I personally think its difficult to say at this exact moment how the D3 economy will be. I dont think it will outweigh a normal paying job, but who knows, maybe the economy will bloom out nicely as ppl make money, and spend that money to buy better items. I honestly am looking forward to grinding out high-end legendarys and selling them for a bit of extra cash.

really depends on how exactly things will be priced, on what the prices will be based on(rarity, amount, etc), you should have a better idea within couple months. obviously, far from a daily paying job, but then again - you can always try to make a living(tho id advice against that).

Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    really depends on how exactly things will be priced, on what the prices will be based on(rarity, amount, etc), you should have a better idea within couple months. obviously, far from a daily paying job, but then again - you can always try to make a living(tho id advice against that).
    Well I wouldn't quit me job to play video games....that would be boring.

But an extra $50-$500 a month helps. I wonder how much items you could possibly sell worth something from playing 15-20 hours per week every month. 15-20 hours is a small amount, I know people who work full time jobs that somehow manage to put more hours into WoW then they do at work per week lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont think people quite understand how the AH works.

The only 'money' to be made, is if people buy in first. You cant just 'sell stuff'. People will need to buy items with real money, and nobody will be buying stuff with real money while levelling, thats for sure. And even then, it won't be til the rare stuff, the high level stuff, starts getting posted.

I think SOME people might be able to squeeze $10-$20 out of it in a few months, and a few rare people who get cool stuff will get more.

That's really going to depend on how much a "decent" amount of money is. It's also going to depend heavily on how the economy develops. One should also keep in mind that Blizzard will be taking a % off the top just to list the item, plus another % when it sells, and then you have to deal with any fees associated with PayPal when you try to go and cash out anything you've made. I haven't seen anything specific on what the Blizzard fees will be, and I'm not very familiar with PayPal, but I see it becoming really hard to get a respectable amount of cash out of the RMAH.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a wait and see experiment not yet live, only time will tell if it's a success for the long term, for those interested here's a calculator of sorts giving a fair idea as to what to expect in terms of earning minus blizzards cut. I wouldn't view it as a job replacement under any circumstances, those are pipe dreams (we all have them).

http://www.diablofans.com/news/1188-...os-blue-posts/

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/top...8349588?page=1
    Last edited by Blockygame; 2012-05-14 at 04:01 AM.
    HOOKED ON DIABLOL, GOOD TIMES ARE BEING HAD

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally if make any money ever Ill consider it a huge gain. I dont see why anyone else would think otherwise.

Think of all the people who will be trying to make money on release. You will have to a) Play more than them or b) Be extremely lucky with drops. Best of luck

Whatever you plan to sell, thousands of other people will also plan to sell. Whatever your price, thousands of other people will be willing to sell it for less. More people will be interested in selling than buying. Orders of magnitude more. Expecting any kind of regular income is a dream at best.

Now spikes on the rare amazing drop for endgame characters, that we could talk about. I don't think the numbers will be all that high for money spent, but I'm open to the idea that I'm going to be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Loregasm View Post
    One should also keep in mind that Blizzard will be taking a % off the top just to list the item
    I could be mistaken, but I swear I saw a blue post stating that they were no longer taking any money to post an item, but instead limiting it to only being able to have ten items posted at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I dont think people quite understand how the AH works.

The only 'money' to be made, is if people buy in first. You cant just 'sell stuff'. People will need to buy items with real money, and nobody will be buying stuff with real money while levelling, thats for sure. And even then, it won't be til the rare stuff, the high level stuff, starts getting posted.

I think SOME people might be able to squeeze $10-$20 out of it in a few months, and a few rare people who get cool stuff will get more.
    This doesn't make any sense. What incentive would anyone have to try and use the RMAH if you couldn't make money? For instance: I find a cool item that I don't plan on using, I put it on the AH for sale, and someone buys it. How would they buy it if I had to put money in first in order to sell it? What would be the point of that?

I think you're the one who doesn't understand how it will work, and why it's being implemented to begin with: to prevent people from going to Ebay and the like to sell their items for real money. If RMAH didn't replace the likes of ebay and other services, then there would be no reason to use it.

So yes, you can 'just sell' things. That's the whole point.

I expect it to work like this:

There will be an initial wave of lots of sales on the RMAH in the first few months as lots of people are playing and trying to max out their character. Competition will be fierce, but there will be lots of sales. Then the game will die down and most people will "give up" on trying to make money off the RMAH. But a select few will stick to it and make consistent, although slow sales in the new market that's left over.

10+ Year Old Account
    i still can't believe people haven't gotten it around their heads that this "real money" just goes to your battlenet money account thing that allows you to ONLY ... repeat...ONLY buy things that use battlenet currency...aka wow sub...wow transfers factions changes etc etc...or buying games from blizzard store...buying pets / authenticators from blizzard store. You CANNOT withdraw the money you earn through RMAH to spend on things outside of blizzards battlenet currency system...So many people are going to be disappointed as fuck -_-.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    This doesn't make any sense. What incentive would anyone have to try and use the RMAH if you couldn't make money? For instance: I find a cool item that I don't plan on using, I put it on the AH for sale, and someone buys it. How would they buy it if I had to put money in first in order to sell it? What would be the point of that?

I think you're the one who doesn't understand how it will work, and why it's being implemented to begin with: to prevent people from going to Ebay and the like to sell their items for real money. If RMAH didn't replace the likes of ebay and other services, then there would be no reason to use it.

So yes, you can 'just sell' things. That's the whole point.
    You have completely missed the point of the post you quoted. You can't sell something if there is no one to buy it. What Chazus is saying is people are unlikely to spend real money on crappy items as they level up. Most people are going to be spending their money on rare drops from the higher difficulties. You unlikely make money selling low level magic items, the RMAH is there to facilitate the sale of rare high level items that are normally sold on places like E-bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadzta View Post
    i still can't believe people haven't gotten it around their heads that this "real money" just goes to your battlenet money account thing that allows you to ONLY ... repeat...ONLY buy things that use battlenet currency...aka wow sub...wow transfers factions changes etc etc...or buying games from blizzard store...buying pets / authenticators from blizzard store. You CANNOT withdraw the money you earn through RMAH to spend on things outside of blizzards battlenet currency system...So many people are going to be disappointed as fuck -_-.
    That is incorrect. You can cash out your blizzard bucks through paypal. You lose 15% fee to paypal but you can get the rest transfered to your bank account.

You can also send the money to paypal, and from there do pretty much anything you want with it. I don't use paypal myself, so I can't really say how anything on that side of it works.

Put it this way don't quit your job for it, once the bots come and they will farmers will be making the money not the average gamer.

you can have any money you make deposited into your paypal account with like a 15% cut or something like that.

I doubt there will be any realistic way to make decent money, whatever decent quantify as. I think people are looking at D3 the wrong way. Don't think of it as some pipe dream for a money venture. Think of it as a way to have fun, which is what the game is intended to be. Keep what you want and need, and sell the stuff you don't need along the way. Most people probably won't make enough money to do much with in real life, and I wouldn't doubt it if most people put the money they make back into buying items. I'd assume the only possible way you can make a relatively high amount of money is basically by being luckier and out-farming everyone else, which will be incredibly hard to do. You are better off just playing the AH, buying low, selling high, if you want to make profit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Paypal really? sick i just got schooled as fuck...wheres the blue post for that? source?