Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlychap View Post
    People who buy stuff don't generally go around talking about it.....they will get laughed at and ridiculed if they openly admit they'll buy stuff....that is the only reason why you never see people saying they will use the RMAH to buy.
    I love the idea of the RMAH because I am looking forward to buying from it. I am new to diablo but I love games where I can buy what I need. RMAH is buying game items made easy.

You say that as if it's something to worry about? Yes there will be extra fee's...like 30% of total sale fee...but who cares, you're making money from pixels.

I use ebay a lot so I've been doing paypal to bank account transfers all the time.

Only difference here is it goes from blizzard > paypal > bank, instead of ebay > paypal > bank.
    No, just bringing up the fact that there will be fees associated with sales through the RMAH. Some people still seem to be under the assumption that if you sell your Legendary Axe of +7 Uberness for $50, you'll get $50 in your bank account. That's just not how the system works. I'm not concerned that you'll have to go through a 3rd party to turn Blizz Bucks (or w/e they end up being called) into cash, but the fee associated with it is something to consider.
    Also, this was posted in response to another post implying that you wouldn't need to use PayPal (or any other service), to turn Blizz Bucks into real money.

Nobody knows until it happens. That's part of the fun!

Just remember the RMAH starts a week AFTER launch. And yes there are no more listing fees.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was always wondering this too. I'm technically not going to make a living off D3, but damn, if I can get at least $20-$50 a month from this, that would eliminate having to worry about my WoW sub, Vent, and other things I use on Paypal lol
    I cried alone every single night. It felt like every day that passed here stole another piece of my real life away. After i cried, I’d go and fight as hard as I could. My only thought was winning, moving forward, and getting stronger. — Asuna Yuuki

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    lol fyi I made a thread on this exact topic a few weeks ago, however frankly, if you make $50 in a month, you're doing swell, do NOT get your hopes up for much more than that, it will not happen, most likely.

Of course, it all depends also on scarcity of certain items, I'm sure some items will sell for A LOT, but those will be few and far between. Don't get your hopes up, you'll be sorely disappointed.

---------- Post added 2012-05-14 at 05:35 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zerdus View Post
    What would really be spectacular is if I could pay for my WoW subscription by playing D3. $15 (after cuts) a month through the RMAH seems doable.
    Why continue playing WoW when the amount of time you'll have to invest in D3 to really make any real money at all will likely be substantial? Why not quit WoW and make every last $1 you rake in be a profit? ^_^
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Splatter View Post
    That is incorrect. You can cash out your blizzard bucks through paypal. You lose 15% fee to paypal but you can get the rest transfered to your bank account.
    So blizzards cut is 30% then followed by a 15% on top of that. People really shouldn't think there is seriously money to be made. If anything it will be nice pocketmoney and that's it.

But people are probably out there right now with a plan to get rich off this, its sad really. And I can imagine once the chinese gold farmers get into this the AH will be flooded with items.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I thought Blizzard's cut was something closer to 10-20%?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Well i guess we cant sa for sure but i think its going to be hard to make "decent" money out of it. Im sure you can make extra cash on it, but who knows.

People with large capitals can make lots of money, this is no different from any other game.

Everyone knows there's a handful of players who make 500k+ / week when they work at it on WoW. In perspective, at $1/1k gold, they can easily make $500 per week, but this is quite a bit of work, and assumes you have a sizable capital(the player I know who makes that much, has a 6 mil gold capital, and it takes him ~3-4 hours a sitting to get everything he needs up).

Now, that being said, it depends on how much cash enters the market. If only $100,000 enters the AH, per month, and $120,000 leaves the AH per month - you have an unstable economy. There's no real money to be made here, and I think this'll be the issue we'll have the first few months. People are actually going to try to make cash early on, and it's just not gonna work.

Now, if this market ever stables out, and there is ever more cash going in than is going out, Profit can be made easily as playing something similar to the real life currency market(USD - GBP, for example).

As for farming - farming inferno should be fairly profitable. Making BiS items for people, etc. HC RMAH is going to be VERY volatile.

---------- Post added 2012-05-14 at 05:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MrSerious View Post
    So blizzards cut is 30% then followed by a 15% on top of that. People really shouldn't think there is seriously money to be made. If anything it will be nice pocketmoney and that's it.

But people are probably out there right now with a plan to get rich off this, its sad really. And I can imagine once the chinese gold farmers get into this the AH will be flooded with items.
    Blizzard's cut is 15% on commodities, and $1 on everything else.
    Paypal's cut is 15%.

As long as in the lifetime of the game I can manage to make back the $60 dollars I paid for it, then I'll call that decent.
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?

Also keep in mind that you're competing against people who can play/farm items almost 24/7 (school children, unemployed ones, professional farmers)
    I doubt you will get much out of it, if you find something really awesome it will probably already be for sale for a very small amount.
    Maybe if you're good at buying low / selling high, and if you keep current about what each class really needs... but other than that I wouldn't bet on making a lot of money with it.

Deleted
    best way to make money from video gaming is open a youtube account upload videos and get enabled for monetization through your gaming videos and get paid by adsense ppl who think they are gonna make alot of money on d3 are morons, you will make more money from uploading videos of d3 to your youtube if your monetized

If you're good enough to farm Inferno mode, you may be able to make a good chunk of cash. Anything else though and don't expect much.

People who buy stuff don't generally go around talking about it.....they will get laughed at and ridiculed if they openly admit they'll buy stuff....that is the only reason why you never see people saying they will use the RMAH to buy.
    This imo same reason why gold farmers are still around.If ppl didnt buy gold they would never exist in first place.

My mentality on this whole thing is that I am going to play the game for fun, try and beat it all the way through on Inferno, and farm it for a while. Then I will probably reroll another class and do the same again. If along the way I get a drop that I sell for even a few bucks profit then I am happy. Anyone who is going into this game with their mind set on making money and that is it, really should consider just spending that time working another job .

That being said, I am sure there is some money to be made, and like others have said it will mostly come from Inferno drops that people are too lazy to farm for themselves.

Deleted
    I heard gold could be sold via RMAH. I have a feeling that it would be easier to shift than any item. Sell your loot on the gold AH, sell gold on the RMAH

Quote Originally Posted by scamander View Post
    I heard gold could be sold via RMAH. I have a feeling that it would be easier to shift than any item. Sell your loot on the gold AH, sell gold on the RMAH
    Of course. The link between the 2 AH is perfect. After just a few hours the difference will be minimal...

And THAT' s what it makes so attractive ...

1 ALL gear and weapons will have a real money value attached to it.

2. People will be attracted to the system AS SUCH. Not to make money, but to make virtual money on virtual goods ... And after a while the 2 systems gold/money become ... one.

3. The lines between them will become blurred and everyone will be talking about it...

THE QUESTION is not so much ... will I make 10 dollars a month to just game Diablo ... Nope. It will be in the long run ... What's the value of my gear ... And HOW in the world am I going to play another on line game for FAKE chips if I can play for real money values this time?

I am convinced the philosophy of seeing a chest YOU OWN having real money value will change this industry for good. OF COURSE it existed in the minds of gold sellers etc already ... But this time Mr Average will take part in it ...And the system is build in the game from scratch with an accessable AH...
    Last edited by BenBos; 2012-05-14 at 06:28 AM.

I have seen several people in this thread say that you can cash out BNet currency to paypal. This is incorrect as I have read it. As the rules stand now, you must choose:

A. Whether to put an item on the GAH or the RMAH.

B. Whether or not your proceeds will go to BNet currency or to an attached third party account, such as PayPal.

Once Bnet currency proceeds are taken from a successful auction, they can only be used for services they deem for Bnet currency or for purchases on the RMAH in Diablo 3. The Bnet currency cannot be cashed out to paypal once it is acquired. This is something you have to set up ahead of time. Just to forewarn and better inform people.

Items will have a fee of 1 dollar that is detracted from the successful sale of an item on the RMAH before the proceeds are distributed to BNet currency or Paypal. If you choose to cash out to paypal when you post the auction, another fee of 15% will be deducted before the balance is placed in your paypal account. I forget how much the commodities fee is.

*edit*
    Actually I just looked it up, and the commodities fee before paypal is 15%, and then another 15% from paypal. As gold is listed under commodities, this might put a cramp on some people's plan's to do item on GAH and then proceeds gold on the RMAH for paypal. That would put your total profit margin taking the initial GAH proceeds hit from Blizzard, then the 30% cumulative hit from the gold selling on the RMAH.
    Last edited by Malfecto; 2012-05-14 at 06:43 AM.

Deleted
    My plan is to just sell items to pay for my wowsub every month, which means I need to sell about 10 things are £1.15 each.