[TV] Pillars of the Earth (If you like GoT check it out)

I just completed watching a TV mini-series called Pillars of the Earth, based on the book of the same name by Ken Follett. It focuses on the battles between some royal/nobel families and the Catholic church in 12th century England. It is a fictional story, but there are historical accuracies that provide the setting. It's neither as violent or sexual as Game of Thrones, but it's still a good watch! Check it out! They should be releasing the sequel mini-series later this year too, although that's apparently set 150+ years later.

Quote Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
    I just completed watching a TV mini-series called Pillars of the Earth, based on the book of the same name by Ken Follett. It focuses on the battles between some royal/nobel families and the Catholic church in 12th century England. It is a fictional story, but there are historical accuracies that provide the setting. It's neither as violent or sexual as Game of Thrones, but it's still a good watch! Check it out! They should be releasing the sequel mini-series later this year too, although that's apparently set 150+ years later.
    I really liked it up until the last 2-3 episodes then it kind of lost focus. Still worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by phenom568 View Post
    I really liked it up until the last 2-3 episodes then it kind of lost focus. Still worth watching.
    I found the last couple of episodes a little predictable, since you know they've got to tie it all together into an ending, but overall still good I think. Not sure how into the second one I'll be though - it centers around the direct descendants of Jack and Tom and maybe a couple of the other characters, which seems a bit of a stretch I think, and may be too samey, but I'm sure I'll watch

The book it's based on is fantastic, but the auther really loves his sex scenes. I think the show is also good, but it's not as good as the book. I'd definitely recommend either, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    The book it's based on is fantastic, but the auther really loves his sex scenes. I think the show is also good, but it's not as good as the book. I'd definitely recommend either, though.
    As a general rule (due to limited time and patience), I tend not read fiction, but I can imagine the sex scenes in the TV version were less risque than the book.

As a general rule (due to limited time and patience), I tend not read fiction, but I can imagine the sex scenes in the TV version were less risque than the book.
    Yeah, that was also one of the aspects of the show that was significantly better. I don't mind sex in a story, but I typically prefer it to be something involved with a particular weakness of a character - like if they let out their insecurities or something. Unfortunately it's not like that in the book.

That said, I'd still read it even if your patience is low-ish. The scene where Jack burns the cathedral down is so much more intense in the book. I swear I was practically shivering during that part.

One thing to mention though - the choice of Ian McShane was incredibly incredibly incredibly incredible! He's such a great actor and he really made his character come to life.

Found the book decent although a bit overrated. Didn't expect too much from the show but was rather pleasantly surprised and rather glad that it wasn't as bad as I imagined it to be.

Yeah, that was also one of the aspects of the show that was significantly better. I don't mind sex in a story, but I typically prefer it to be something involved with a particular weakness of a character - like if they let out their insecurities or something. Unfortunately it's not like that in the book.

That said, I'd still read it even if your patience is low-ish. The scene where Jack burns the cathedral down is so much more intense in the book. I swear I was practically shivering during that part.

One thing to mention though - the choice of Ian McShane was incredibly incredibly incredibly incredible! He's such a great actor and he really made his character come to life.
    Ian McShane was simply amazing! I wanted to strangle him myself the entire time (in a good way for being such an evil SoB)! His hair made me super uncomfortable though

Granted it has been a few years since i read it, but i don't remember THAT many over the top sex scenes in the book. hell, my super conservative grandfather-in-law who is an elder in his Church (Church of Christ, none the less) recommended it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    Granted it has been a few years since i read it, but i don't remember THAT many over the top sex scenes in the book. hell, my super conservative grandfather-in-law who is an elder in his Church (Church of Christ, none the less) recommended it to me.
    Well, it's nowhere near as bad as other Ken Follet books, but there's some intricate detail about nipple-biting that's really unnessecary, for example.

Well, it's nowhere near as bad as other Ken Follet books, but there's some intricate detail about nipple-biting that's really unnessecary, for example.
    Hmm...I feel like I vaguely remember that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ian McShane was simply amazing! I wanted to strangle him myself the entire time (in a good way for being such an evil SoB)! His hair made me super uncomfortable though
    Does he call someone a cocksucker in it? If he doesn't, I am out. It should be a rule that Ian McShane has to call at least one person a cocksucker in anything he does.

And now I am suddenly overcome with the urge to watch Deadwood again for the Nth time.

15+ Year Old Account
    Here's a trailer:

Might have to check it out. Looks like it's up my alley.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Does he call someone a cocksucker in it? If he doesn't, I am out. It should be a rule that Ian McShane has to call at least one person a cocksucker in anything he does.

And now I am suddenly overcome with the urge to watch Deadwood again for the Nth time.
    California cocksucker!

Nah, he doesn't say it but he's incredible. Plays a power hungry man like no other.

California cocksucker!

Nah, he doesn't say it but he's incredible. Plays a power hungry man like no other.
    Where is that from - Deadwood?

10+ Year Old Account
    Starz always puts out quality shows. I have really enjoyed Spartacus, Party down and now Magic City from them, will def check this out.