Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    WoW - Massive, open world, thousands of people in-game at the same time (barring server population issues), etc. Questing is done generally solo, while dungeons and raids are scaled group content, requiring anywhere from 30min for a 5-man, to hours for a raid. Loot is shared amongst the group that completed the content, with pre-set loot tables on all bosses.

Diablo 3 - Randomized, closed world, at most 3 other players, other than yourself, in your world, at any given time (if you make your game public, it can be ANYONE, if not made public, only your friends can join you). Game's entirety can be completed solo, from the main storyline quests, to the side-dungeons and massive labyrinths. Content auto-adjusts it's difficulty (health and damage of monsters, even number of monsters) based on number of players in the game. Loot is individualized (though can be traded) to each party member, and is very heavily randomized to the point you won't be able to predict anything specific dropping.

Deleted
    If you really want to compare them maybe one act in Diablo 3 would be a bit like solo'ing an old raid in WoW. That's probably the closest you'll get in comparing, overall they're very very different.

Never played Diablo but because it is a Blizzard game and so many people say good things about it and the previous games even without intention to buy it for now i have been curious. But for what i have read here in MMO-Champion front page and in the forums i don't think its worth it.

Tell me if i am wrong but this is the idea i have of the game:

You start in the lowest difficulty and you beat the game.

Then you beat it again two more times to reach Inferno mode.

After that, you just play Inferno mode forever hoping for the best loots to drop either solo or with 3 more people.

You have the action house to buy items you need if you are not lucky enough for them to drop.

You will have Arena.

People say the lore is great but even if it really is, i think 60€ is not worth it for a game that looks even more farming based than WoW.

Look it up on youtube and the answer will be obvious.

The only thing I didn't see mentioned in prior posts is that Diablo 3 uses a click move interface and a 3d isometric camera that you cannot control.

Deleted
    You grind. That is as similar as things gets.

Quote Originally Posted by xlightning View Post
    Never played Diablo but because it is a Blizzard game and so many people say good things about it and the previous games even without intention to buy it for now i have been curious. But for what i have read here in MMO-Champion front page and in the forums i don't think its worth it.

After that, you just play Inferno mode forever hoping for the best loots to drop either solo or with 3 more people.

You have the action house to buy items you need if you are not lucky enough for them to drop.

You will have Arena.

People say the lore is great but even if it really is, i think 60€ is not worth it for a game that looks even more farming based than WoW.
    My money says you grew up when at least the XBox/PS2/GameCube were the current consoles available on the market, making you about 9-11 in the year 2002. It's a matter of perspective of different generations. The challenge level in the Diablo-styled games, once you get up to higher difficulties, is what drives you to complete it over and over, the reward is getting those items you really want. If the game's loot wasn't randomized, and system wasn't designed to promote farming, nobody would play beyond one playthrough, cause there would be no replay value, short of the varying classes.

The instant gratification you are looking for, is going to come from spending like 2 hours playing, having completed a fair chunk of a single Act's storyline, killed ALOT of demons and undead, and got a pile of shiny treasure to show for it. It is far more faster-paced than WoW ever will be, and totally reliant on your skill level, and not a group, to beat any content.

The fact is ... in pure definition it is not like an MMORPG... but the ODD thing is ... that D3 is better shaped to be successful in this time of fast 2012 kind of on line gaming.

It uses some elements of present day MMO designs and then transforms it on ... steroids.

Hard to explain, but you'll understand when you play it.

These days on line games need to have NO downtime, FUN from the start, REWARDs all the time and do grouping when YOU like it (not some 14 year old raid kid who likes to view everyone in his Raid or dungeon group as a surrogate NPC to be used...).

Add an advanced 500.000+ player central Auction House and it obliterates all MMO economies by sheer size.

So the game stands head and shoulder above Diablo 2.

The Diablo 3 version strips down an MMO to its pure and naked "fun" without the negatives of a typical MMORPG that could be a hindrance to this fast/furious fun part.

Annoyances like long waiting times to group, long playing sessions in end game content, time sinks, etc ...

While it is NOT an MMO, it certainly is competing in the same market and the competition of Blizzard will feel it. No doubt about that (certainly with the included RMAH).

Quote Originally Posted by ElbowMacaroni View Post
    The only thing I didn't see mentioned in prior posts is that Diablo 3 uses a click move interface and a 3d isometric camera that you cannot control.
    Standards of the genre, which is why nobody mentioned it. Titan's Quest is the same, as is Torchlight, DarkSpore, Dungeon Hunters: Alliance (Console game), and I assume others I am not aware of.

The difference some have, and Diablo 3 is included in this, is that you can at least zoom in and out on your character to some degree (to get a more close-up look of your gear and such), but otherwise the camera is definitely fixed.

Deleted

You will have Arena.

Man if you think WoW is a farming game and don't like it because of it then D3 is probably nothing for you.

Farming is a lot more fun though than the "farming" in WoW.

Once you get to inferno and you can safely kill everything then you can basically kill everything for possible upgrades whenever you want. You don't depend on others to kill something (unlike WoW) and you don't have to wait a week to kill a certain boss again (also unlike WoW).

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroEdgeir View Post
    My money says you grew up when at least the XBox/PS2/GameCube were the current consoles available on the market, making you about 9-11 in the year 2002. It's a matter of perspective of different generations. The challenge level in the Diablo-styled games, once you get up to higher difficulties, is what drives you to complete it over and over, the reward is getting those items you really want. If the game's loot wasn't randomized, and system wasn't designed to promote farming, nobody would play beyond one playthrough, cause there would be no replay value, short of the varying classes.

The instant gratification you are looking for, is going to come from spending like 2 hours playing, having completed a fair chunk of a single Act's storyline, killed ALOT of demons and undead, and got a pile of shiny treasure to show for it. It is far more faster-paced than WoW ever will be, and totally reliant on your skill level, and not a group, to beat any content.
    Yup, i was 9 in 2002 but i have played games since the age 4 on my SNES / Mega Drive. I was a little kid when games used to be difficult but i understand the perspective you are talking about. I love difficult games that are skill based but from what i have read it feels too much farming based to my taste. It's the kind of game i would eventually buy when it gets cheaper to see the lore and have fun for a few weeks but not for 60€ with so "little" content, and because it's Blizzard i bet it will be like SC2, it will stay at 60€ forever.

Thank the powers that be it is not. So burned out on WoW I could scream when I see my room mate playing it. Walking past his room every couple hours and seeing him in HoT or LFR over and over and over again keeps me burned out on it.

Quote Originally Posted by dahmer View Post
    Man if you think WoW is a farming game and don't like it because of it then D3 is probably nothing for you.

Farming is a lot more fun though than the "farming" in WoW.

Once you get to inferno and you can safely kill everything then you can basically kill everything for possible upgrades whenever you want. You don't depend on others to kill something (unlike WoW) and you don't have to wait a week to kill a certain boss again (also unlike WoW).
    Yeah, it's great to depend only on me and from the little i know about the lore it sounds great but i don't like to stay hours killing monsters hoping for some item to drop. You are right, it's not for me. Maybe when it's cheaper just for the lore...the bad thing as i already said in my other post is that it will take forever to stay cheaper like Starcraft 2 for someone that only wants to play for the lore.

so "little" content
    Depends how you look at it I guess. The way you need to play changes with each difficulty.
    Normal: Walk into a group of mobs, spam attacks untill everything is dead. Maybe you need to use a healthpot every now and then.
    Nightmare: Walk into a group of mobs, spam attacks untill everything is dead. While you do this you need to move out of the group so you don't get overwhelmed.
    Hell: Approach with caution, don't run into the group. You need to kite while not getting yourself trapped.
    Inferno: Dead the moment you see a group. (Obviously not that bad, but from what I've seen Inferno is going to be hard.)

Anyone remembers Hell Duriel?

10+ Year Old Account

You will have Arena.

I guess you are from a younger generation. I'm myself 30+ and grew up with games that usually required a lot of work from the player himself. Games have changed over the years and become much more user friendly. Diablo harkens back to a time when gaming wasn't about getting instant gratification, and you either like that style or you don't. There's not much of middle way here.

No

goddamn10

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Udontknowme View Post
    so ive never played any of the diablo games, but im excited for tonight anyway. then i started reading up on the game and stuff and ive always thought it was kinda like wow, but it seemed more like a singleplayer game? is this the case?? can u see other ppl while questing?do u raid and stuff??
    Well, first of all you should be excited. Diablo 3 is one of the most anticipated games in 2012, and it will be filled with pure awesomeness. It is actually nothing like wow, the gamestyle is totally different, the way you do quests are more fun. There is always a cool story as well. The only similarities you will get is the names of the spells, and some of the abilities might look same as well. It is because both games are from blizzard and world of warcraft took its talent system from Diablo when it first came out(A very important message to those who thinks wow copied talent/spec from DAOC), thats why you might find some similarities in some skills. But thats all !

And yeah, there are actually lots of dungeons in Diablo 3, whether you solo them or do them in group, is totally upto you.

You won't find pandas or Pokemon in Diablo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Udontknowme View Post
    okay, but since theres an auction house im guessing u can trade with other players in towns or?
    It's not an MMO based AH like you would find in WoW in a big city or something. When you log into Diablo 3, you pick your character and it brings you to the 'Lobby'. It's a screen that has the AH, your stats, achievements, where you can select your game, etc.
    I cried alone every single night. It felt like every day that passed here stole another piece of my real life away. After i cried, I’d go and fight as hard as I could. My only thought was winning, moving forward, and getting stronger. — Asuna Yuuki

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by arphir View Post
    You won't find pandas or Pokemon in Diablo.
    You will however find Hell Bovine :3

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann