Which i5 to purchase?

Howdy, I'm putting a computer together and needed some advice. I'm looking at getting a i5-3750k or the i5-2500k. The price difference is only $20($169 for 2500k and $189 for 3750k at microcenter) atm so thats not really an issue. Im not sot sure how much overclocking I'll be doing right away but might do a little eventually. Apparently the 2500k is better for overclocking if you plan on going past 4.5; the i5 3750k starts at a higher clock but has heat issues past ~4.5 or so. I honestly doubt I'll even get near 4.5. The 3750k starts at a higher clock, has better stock performance but it is still pretty new. The 2500k however has been around for a while, is a solid cpu and will probably still do everything I need it to do. So.... go with the tried and proven 2500k or try out the 3750k and see how it goes...

As far as mobos go, I'm leaning towards one of the z77 over the z68. Mostly because the z77 will do what the z68 can, plus some, and it will be there if I do go with the 2500k and wish to get a 3750k down the line. It seems that most people are advising the z77 for that reason, plus the perks the z77 offers.

Any tips/opinions/thoughts?

You won't see much of a performance increase after 4.3 ghz. The Ivybridge has 30% more increased performance than the sandybridge. With the added features in the Z77 Boards I'd be more leaning toward the Ivybridge. If you just wanna see high clock numbers go for a 2500k

I'm not too interested in pushing the OC too far; I dont do anything else besides gaming for the most part and OC'ing for just the heck of it doesn't interest me too much. Thanks for the info.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thundaar,

I would say go with the 3570k. You also get $50 off the mobo @ Microcenter if you buy a z77 or z68. I would personally recommend the ASrock z77 Pro3(if you don't plan on 2xGPU's) or the Asrock z77 Extreme4 if you do.

Definitely Ivy Bridge, if you live near a micro center you can get a good deal on a processor and mobo combo.

Looks like I'll be going with the i5-3750k, thanks for the help. One last thing, which Z77 mobo to go along with it? I do live near a Microcenter and would like to take advantage of the deal if possible, but I'm willing to mspend upto ~$150USD. I do plan on grabbing another GPU eventually btw. So its either the ASRock Extreme4, the GIGABYTE UD3H, or the ASUS P8Z77- V LX? Or maybe I overlooked a different mobo?

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    All of those will be fine Thundaar. The Extreme4 is really solid and Asus also makes really good motherboards.

Plus you get $50 off!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thundaar View Post
    Looks like I'll be going with the i5-3750k, thanks for the help. One last thing, which Z77 mobo to go along with it? I do live near a Microcenter and would like to take advantage of the deal if possible, but I'm willing to mspend upto ~$150USD. I do plan on grabbing another GPU eventually btw. So its either the ASRock Extreme4, the GIGABYTE UD3H, or the ASUS P8Z77- V LX? Or maybe I overlooked a different mobo?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131837

This is what I'm planning on getting, personally.

Deleted
    Yeah definitely i5-3570k + Z77 motherboard considering you're near a MicroCenter. If you want a some feature rich SLI capable motherboard get the Asrock Z77 Extreme4 or if you want to save money and is either going with an AMD card or just don't care about SLI then go with the Asrock Z77 Pro4-M, it's a really good mATX motherboard and it's only $60 with the CPU purchase.

Edit: Just read your other post, so yeah if you're going for AMD GPU's then the Pro4-M is still good. It actually has better SATA connection placement than the other non mATM counterparts (similar layout as with the Extreme4).
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2012-05-14 at 05:05 PM.

I have a 560ti 1GB atm, might grab another in a month or so. Thank you everyone for the suggestions, very helpful.
    Last edited by Thundaar; 2012-05-14 at 08:23 PM.