Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

[TV] What are kids watching these days?

I woke up yesterday a little bit too early, so I decided to watch some kids shows. I almost vomited. Nothing original, funny or well painted/acted was on. Every cartoons had so many flashy parts, lame jokes and usually something retardedly cute looking animal.

I remember good old times when we were watching Disney cartoons, Tom and Jerry, Flintstones, Looney tunes, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and many more... You know what's funny? Most of these cartoons are super old, but kids were watching them for good 30 years and now suddenly kids are fed some cheap lame shit. WTF? I even remember old shows like original black&white Adams Family, which is excelent.

I feel a bit sorry for kids these days, they aren't allowed to watch the quality kids shows that we were watching.

Deleted
    David Attenborough. What I watched the most growing up.

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly have no idea. I miss the good old cartoons, Ed, Edd and Eddy <3.

I feel like kicking soembody when I hear that some childeren don't know what Tom & Jerry is. (Note: I said somebody, not the said child) :P.

Ahh! Real Monsters. <3
    Obelodalix
    "There will be a mount reward for killing Deathwing."
    http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...c3VvPCVHwc_kWA

Can you count Adventure Time as a kids show? Because it is algebraic!

isnt it normal to like the things that were popular in ur age? imo its always like people disliking something thats not in ur "time" , todays kids will be exactly same in the next 30 years=D

10+ Year Old Account
    i can't stand tom and jerry even when i was kid. i have a channel that shows old cartoons on saturdays and in the mornings but its a local channel since i'm to poor for cable

even my dad watched pokemon, ed, edd, and eddy and such with me as a kid and he even chose to put it on that channel. There are quite few recent cartoons i don't see the appeal to, i don't know their names off the top my head but they are quite popular.
    I'd torture a thousand souls just to see her smile.

I've always attributed the rise in crappy animation to the rise in computer assistance in the production. Cartoons that were mostly hand drawn and slightly (if any) computer aided always seemed to be of higher quality. I know its not the best cartoon but look at Pokemon. The original season was fun and had great moments. Now its just one big CG mess!

Quote Originally Posted by Poppey View Post
    Every cartoons had so many flashy parts, lame jokes and usually something retardedly cute looking animal.
    Yep, exactly why I don't care about them, and plus I've just grown out of them. Whenever we say stuff like, "Back in my day cartoons were much better," I can't help but think I sound like my grandparents sometimes x)
    TMNT, Scooby Doo, Arthur (from PBS), and Looney tunes, especially Looney tunes!!! Were my favorites
    Last edited by Libram; 2012-05-14 at 07:17 PM.

Apparently everyone is watching My Little Pony.

Quote Originally Posted by Urmydinner View Post
    Apparently everyone is watching My Little Pony.
    Not me XD
    I'll admit I did check it out and watched a few episodes of it since 'everyone' seems to be watching it.
    Libram was not entertained... >:|

The problem as with any other show on tv is ratings have gone down. The ratings just not there to throw a lot of money at a cartoon. It's too the point many tv stations have gotten out of the cartoon business altogether. Heck I noticed in Canada a few years ago they starting importing a lot of cartoons from Japan (Anime) but even that seems to have all but stopped.

And why are the ratings down? The kids are too busy playing Xbox or Playstation, playing on the internet or playing with their ipod to watch cartoons.

I can think of a couple shows I used to watch, but I quit watching most of those channels around 5 years ago and they've swapped out almost everything. The TV shows weren't great before except a few rare gems (Avatar: The Last Airbender) and the new ones look worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Sythari View Post
    Rugrats <3
    right, that too. I watched that for years as a kid.

One good kids show that came out was My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic on the hub. They went in with some competent people in charge, scrapped everything about the show except the base premise (multicolored ponies) and made the most entertaining thing I've ever seen.

I've heard good things about Regular Show and Adventure Time too, but I haven't seen those personally. Adventure Time looks like it was made on drugs, but that might be its appeal.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2012-05-14 at 11:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

They watch the Disney Channel....... thats why we should be worried once we're old and they have to take care of us

15+ Year Old Account
    Actually if you go back and watch the TMNT or GI Joe cartoons their pretty terrible. Not saying I didn't enjoy them as a child and I don't have fond memories of them.. but in hindsight and having re-watched some. I can say their not great.

Didn't you get the memo? Cartoons from the 90s and earlier (especially those before 1995) are too politically incorrect and insensitive and offensive, and thus deemed inappropriate for children. Especially Looney Toons and the others from the 60s and earlier. It's actually pretty pathetic. And I can still watch the old 80s cartoons I grew up on, same with those before I got into high school (1995 and earlier). I have unfortunately been unable to stomach the complete crap that is being barfed into my eyes from Cartoon Network lately, with the only good thing being the Venture Bros, but I don't even know if that is still on or not. Haven't seen it in months.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    Actually if you go back and watch the TMNT or GI Joe cartoons their pretty terrible. Not saying I didn't enjoy them as a child and I don't have fond memories of them.. but in hindsight and having re-watched some. I can say their not great.
    Exactly. Despite the popularity of many 80's spawned cartoon franchises, their original incarnations were extremely low quality ventures. I tried watching an episode of transformers recently out of curiosity, and I couldn't sit through more than 3 minutes of it.

---------- Post added 2012-05-15 at 01:59 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    Didn't you get the memo? Cartoons from the 90s and earlier (especially those before 1995) are too politically incorrect and insensitive and offensive, and thus deemed inappropriate for children. Especially Looney Toons and the others from the 60s and earlier. It's actually pretty pathetic. And I can still watch the old 80s cartoons I grew up on, same with those before I got into high school (1995 and earlier). I have unfortunately been unable to stomach the complete crap that is being barfed into my eyes from Cartoon Network lately, with the only good thing being the Venture Bros, but I don't even know if that is still on or not. Haven't seen it in months.
    What about Animaniacs? That show really pushed the line hard.
    Last edited by Callace; 2012-05-15 at 02:09 AM.

Deleted
    The amazing world of gumball, if you watch it you'll feel like you're on acid or something :P

Deleted
    Something that annoys me, is that 80s generation is quite quick to bash the pokemon generation and later generation's cartoon while i would assume that the older generations dont have much over for our cheesy 80s and 90s cartoons like Thundercats and Knights of the round table etc.. I love those but i think they are just as silly and stupid , if not more so than the cartoons that are around today. Except for Teletubbies, that stuff must have been made in a laboratory to turn toddlers brains in to gravel.