Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Lightening Rod vs Rathrak

I am currently using a normal Lightning Rod, and working on Heroic progression (We're 3/8 with Morchok, Ultrax and Yor'sahj down). I do however have Rathrak, but no normal off hand. So my question is the Lightening Rod the best option (as I believe it is) or is Rathrak bearing in mind that I will only have a LFR offhand? As soon as I can get the heroic Ledger of Heroic rituals I know which way I'm going, but at the moment which is the best option?
    Last edited by mmoc288584a1e1; 2012-05-14 at 07:44 PM.

your best bet will be to take a couple minutes to use Wrathcalc. You'll have no idea if people are right on a forum, and they'll all insist they are...

http://elitistjerks.com/f73/t37800-w...s_spreadsheet/

just keep in mind that on fights with stacked adds, rathrak is hard to beat. Wrathcalc will give you hypothetical info for a single target fight. If it is looking close, you might get a gain on add fights with a LFR offhand.

This question has been asked many times on these forums... Search option would show you the answer... BUT: Rathrak is garbage.

Weapon BiS is as follows for a balance druid: Dragonwrath > H Lightning Rod > Lightning Rod > Everything else.
    Monk: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...feroz/advanced
    Druid: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lhorn/advanced
    When going from a druid to a monk... You have to remember what a mount is... and how to use them...
    And, when going back to a Druid from a monk, you relish in the awesomeness that is Swift Flight Form!

Quote Originally Posted by Elhorn the Doomchicken View Post
    This question has been asked many times on these forums... Search option would show you the answer... BUT: Rathrak is garbage.

Weapon BiS is as follows for a balance druid: Dragonwrath > H Lightning Rod > Lightning Rod > Everything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by axxey View Post
    http://www.wowhead.com/compare?items...0.4097.0.71881

46int, 197spell power and proc damage

Vs

142hit, 173 haste

Even single target I lean towards dagger rather than staff.
    Different threads, different BiS ftw!

Rathrak is garbage.
    No it really is not.

I'd argue that the warmaster staff is better than Lightning rod seeing as mastery > haste on the last 2 fights (the ones that matter after warmaster)

How is a weapon proc worth 3% of your damage single target (more on AOE fights), and on top of that has more int and spell power than Lightning Rod garbage?

Wrathcalc does not account for the proc damage, those early BIS lists also did not account for proc damage. You should SERIOUSLY reconsider that list you have there...

Rathrak and an offhand is your BIS unless you have a Dragonwrath.
    Last edited by earthwormjim; 2012-05-14 at 10:58 PM.

Deleted
    Firstly I'd like to apologise about the title, the misspelling of lightning is driving me crazy.

But to return to the task at hand, taking into account the extra enchant available whilst using an offhand I gain 14 Intellect and 159 Spellpower through Rathrak, at the cost of an extra 173 Haste from Lightning rod. As this doesn't even take into account the proc of Rathrak I think I'm going to roll with that set up (apart from on Spine) for the time being. It will just then be a case as to what heroic drop I get first, the Ledger or the Lightning rod, to see what I roll with next.

Thanks for the help, and for those interested the link to the comparison is sadly unavailable because I can't post links....

10+ Year Old Account
    I am in a similar position, but my best OH is still the 378 Orb of the First Satyr. I am leaning towards going with Normal Lightning Rod vs Normal Rathrak and the 378 but am still not sure. Was also considering using the Rathrak setup for aoe fights, but it would make me under hitcap unless I hearthed and reforged each time, which is a pain.
    "Brevity is...wit"

I'm sorry to tell you thsi but you're wrong. Dragonwrat is BiS followed by Heroic Deathwing Dagg+OH>Lightning Rod

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shokter View Post
    I am in a similar position, but my best OH is still the 378 Orb of the First Satyr. I am leaning towards going with Normal Lightning Rod vs Normal Rathrak and the 378 but am still not sure. Was also considering using the Rathrak setup for aoe fights, but it would make me under hitcap unless I hearthed and reforged each time, which is a pain.
    I don't know if it's the same as warlocks, but for us normal mode rathrak+ 378 offhand is still better than normal mode Lightning rod. Lightning rod heroic is only better for us because there are no decent offhands that drop in heroic mode.

yeah rathrak with 378 off hand is better than normal lightning rod

Quote Originally Posted by edanna View Post
    I'm sorry to tell you thsi but you're wrong. Dragonwrat is BiS followed by Heroic Deathwing Dagg+OH>Lightning Rod
    If you are killing Heroic Deathwing, wouldn't the warmaster staff be better with the mastery?

Quote Originally Posted by CausalXXLinkXx View Post
    If you are killing Heroic Deathwing, wouldn't the warmaster staff be better with the mastery?
    Maybe if you were doing it with the 0% buff and you were trying to like super min/max. Normal boomkin setup is still very much viable on heroic madness, and the fact that the dps check went completely out the window with the 10% buff, mastery stacking for spine and madness isn't really worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by edanna View Post
    ledger+mace has like 75 more intellect than lightning rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyepic View Post
    Maybe if you were doing it with the 0% buff and you were trying to like super min/max. Normal boomkin setup is still very much viable on heroic madness, and the fact that the dps check went completely out the window with the 10% buff, mastery stacking for spine and madness isn't really worth it.
    Is it only not worth it to be lazy and not reforge etc?

Quote Originally Posted by CausalXXLinkXx View Post
    Is it only not worth it to be lazy and not reforge etc?
    Just stating that in the end, reforging to mastery will not affect the outcome of the encounter. Not sure if that would be considered lazy but feel free to look at it that way.

Deleted
    Hmm, I don't think ditching Lightning Rod for a 378 off hand seems to be the best idea, so I think I'll just wait for an off hand to drop in dragon soul.

If you can reach haste break-points with Rathrak, then go for it. You should aim for 2776 haste(without Dark Intent). If you get it, use Rathrak + viable offhand, preferably the one from Ultraxion. If you can NOT reach that point, use Lightning Rod until you get some gear. I use heroic Rathrak over heroic Lightning Rod.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...candy/advanced

I'm basically in the same position as shokter, with the 378 offhand. I think I'll just stick with the staff for now and hope for a better offhand. Thanks for asking the question that was on my mind