Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    Stood in the Fire Leonidas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SPARTA!!!
    Posts
    445
    Guild Wars 2 is pretty, I'll agree.

    But so was Aion...
    and Age of Conan...
    and Rift...
    ...you get my point.

    Being pretty is a very little piece of the pie that makes a good game, a good game.

  2. #22
    So, because Guild Wars has better graphics than the 7 year old game, WoW, it's not at all similar?

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanto View Post
    Sorry to say but a lot of people could give two shits about the graphics. I really dislike topics like this coming up where people (feel like they)need to prove a point to show game X is better than WoW. Who the hell cares? Saying you're going to play a game and simply enjoy it for the graphics is like saying you're going to go skydiving just because you have the money to do it. Makes 0 sense.

    People are attracted to the gameplay. Anyone who DOESN'T think GW2 has better graphics than WoW is as delusional as a kid on LSD. Guess what? WoW is running off an older than old engine, go figure! But that's not what's important. I STILL play Pokemon Red here and there because the gameplay is fun and it reminds me that graphics don't make the game.
    To me GW2 doesn't have better graphics today. Nor art style. It's highly subjective.
    Believing in the Dominance theory/Alpha theory when it comes to dog handling, is the same as still believing that our planet is flat, moronic. Give your dog a better life, stop bullying it because you are afraid of something that doesn't exist.
    http://www.apdt.com/petowners/choose/dominance.aspx
    "Animals are not intelligent"...of course they are, the question is...are you? A different intelligence does NOT equal a lack of intelligence.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
    Guild Wars 2 is pretty, I'll agree.

    But so was Aion...
    and Age of Conan...
    and Rift...
    ...you get my point.

    Being pretty is a very little piece of the pie that makes a good game, a good game.
    Age of Conan had a good engine, but the world and everything in it looked terrible.
    Rift DOESN'T have great graphics at all, AoC's were much better.
    Aion has the best of all 3 but unfortunately is a Korean MMO that quickly went F2P because Korean MMO's aren't fun.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    ArenaNet announced that GW2 was going to be about dragons waking up and shattering the world in 2007....
    And I've heard the same story ever since I was a kid, of dragons coming and posing a threat to the world they're currently in.

    It's not exactly a new theme at all.
    Believing in the Dominance theory/Alpha theory when it comes to dog handling, is the same as still believing that our planet is flat, moronic. Give your dog a better life, stop bullying it because you are afraid of something that doesn't exist.
    http://www.apdt.com/petowners/choose/dominance.aspx
    "Animals are not intelligent"...of course they are, the question is...are you? A different intelligence does NOT equal a lack of intelligence.

  6. #26
    Moderator MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    10,376
    If you're saying that bigger mobs are more epic simply because they're bigger, then I guess you're entitled. There's a lot more to it than that.

    Looking forward to playing BOTH games this year. Amazing, huh?

  7. #27
    This thread will go places.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
    Guild Wars 2 is pretty, I'll agree.

    But so was Aion...
    and Age of Conan...
    and Rift...
    ...you get my point.

    Being pretty is a very little piece of the pie that makes a good game, a good game.
    Rift looked horrible imo. On lowest settings (I always try on that first to see quality of animations and such) the chars had blocky skin textures and things looked really bad.
    Believing in the Dominance theory/Alpha theory when it comes to dog handling, is the same as still believing that our planet is flat, moronic. Give your dog a better life, stop bullying it because you are afraid of something that doesn't exist.
    http://www.apdt.com/petowners/choose/dominance.aspx
    "Animals are not intelligent"...of course they are, the question is...are you? A different intelligence does NOT equal a lack of intelligence.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    This thread will go places.
    Aye. A flame bait thread if I ever saw one.

  10. #30
    calm down people I was clearly talking about wow when I said which game am I talking about. Why does everyone think I was talking about GW2...Sheesh.

    (I would just like to point out that I am not against GW2 in any way, but this thread on the other hand...)

  11. #31
    I like the graphics of WoW more, but will be playing GW2 instead. Everyone has their preference!

  12. #32
    Why does everything have to be compared to something else? Can't we just enjoy these different things for what they are?

  13. #33
    The Lightbringer Kouki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,494
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanto View Post
    Sorry to say but a lot of people could give two shits about the graphics. I really dislike topics like this coming up where people (feel like they)need to prove a point to show game X is better than WoW. Who the hell cares? Saying you're going to play a game and simply enjoy it for the graphics is like saying you're going to go skydiving just because you have the money to do it. Makes 0 sense.

    People are attracted to the gameplay. Anyone who DOESN'T think GW2 has better graphics than WoW is as delusional as a kid on LSD. Guess what? WoW is running off an older than old engine, go figure! But that's not what's important. I STILL play Pokemon Red here and there because the gameplay is fun and it reminds me that graphics don't make the game.
    Why don't you defend your point by talking about gameplay of guildwars2 that or change your sig.
    -Scrapbot stole my sig-

  14. #34
    The Patient EdisonTrent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Australia, the arse end of the world.
    Posts
    281
    I know I already posted here, but I feel like adding:

    A lot of those games, Tera, Age of Conan etc. attempted to go for a realistic aesthetic instead of a stylized one; GW2 and WoW go further in the other direction, a little further and much further respectively.
    A consistent visual style can help a game age better, as you're more likely to overlook things that don't look quite "right", ie the uncanny valley effect. Just look at Wind Waker, that game still looks amazing, even today, due to its emphasis on visual style.

    GW2 is yet another MMO with better graphical fidelity than WoW, yes, but it also has an actual aesthetic to back it up.
    RIP Gunther, he wanted orange, the world gave him lemon-lime.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    This thread will go places.
    Places like a trash can. There's no point in this thread.
    If you're trying to make WoW look bad compared to GW2, then you're making yourself look like an idiot.

  16. #36
    Stood in the Fire Leonidas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SPARTA!!!
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilscrappy View Post
    Aion has the best of all 3 but unfortunately is a Korean MMO that quickly went F2P because Korean MMO's aren't fun.
    Huh? "Quickly went F2P?" It went F2P last month, on the 11th... >.>

  17. #37
    The Lightbringer Kouki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,494
    Quote Originally Posted by EdisonTrent View Post
    I know I already posted here, but I feel like adding:

    A lot of those games, Tera, Age of Conan etc. attempted to go for a realistic aesthetic instead of a stylized one; GW2 and WoW go further in the other direction, a little further and much further respectively.
    A consistent visual style can help a game age better, as you're more likely to overlook things that don't look quite "right", ie the uncanny valley effect. Just look at Wind Waker, that game still looks amazing, even today, due to its emphasis on visual style.

    GW2 is yet another MMO with better graphical fidelity than WoW, yes, but it also has an actual aesthetic to back it up.
    They have an overall painted theme and its going to last a while with it.

    ---------- Post added 2012-05-15 at 01:40 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Lilscrappy View Post
    Age of Conan had a good engine, but the world and everything in it looked terrible.
    Rift DOESN'T have great graphics at all, AoC's were much better.
    Aion has the best of all 3 but unfortunately is a Korean MMO that quickly went F2P because Korean MMO's aren't fun.
    Aion was out From the time Of BC till last month before it went free to play fool.
    -Scrapbot stole my sig-

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    This thread will go places.

    Post count... +1!

    OT: Anyone else notice that the DW picture is all the way scaled out and the GW2 one is zoomed in on the character...

    Perpective is hard!

  19. #39
    The Patient EdisonTrent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Australia, the arse end of the world.
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
    They have an overall painted theme and its going to last a while with it.
    I think you may have skim-read my post, I was defending GW2's emphasis on visual style as opposed to many other MMOs that came out recently.
    RIP Gunther, he wanted orange, the world gave him lemon-lime.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephlim View Post
    Post count... +1!
    I'm one point closer to super saiyan epeen... now two.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •