Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    <snip>
    Not really the place. But i know 4 people that have, nex to their own Xbox360, another locked xbox360 on which they run cracked games. Its easy to do, and these locked versions are dirt cheap.

Wii I dont really use that console myself anymore, my gf does and she buys the games in stores. But i know for a fact, since a ahem.. close friend did it, that is very easy to run cracked games on the Wii aswell.

Ps3 is the only one im not to sure about. But im sure its there, numbers from torrentsites on active console torrents show its there.

And something the industry is starting to realise all to well is that pre-owned is perhaps worst then piracy. Piracy can in no way be proven its a lost sale. If it wasnt available for pirating you cannot know if someone wouldve bought it or not. However selling second hand games for consoles is a guarenteed loss in sale for the publisher and developer. That person was ready to buy a new copy, and was instead sold a pre-owned copy. Something we see pretty much exclusively to consoles.

Thats why sony and MS shell out a lot of cash on deals to draw exclusive content and deals to their console. Look at all the unique IPs or preferential treatment that is sometimes given (hello DLC 2 months early). Something that doesnt happen for the PC as there is no big corporation that benefits from it, unlike MS who takes a cut from sales of xbox360 games or sony for ps3 games.
    These companies have an active interest in getting sales and development for consoles, and would rather benefit from almost a total demise of pc gaming in favor of consoles. And they are willing to pay a lot of money on that. THAT is why developers prefer consoles, and piracy is merely the excuse they use.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Honestly... the chances the next gen consoles will compare to anything you listed, is next to "it won't." Considering they will likely put mobile pieces or lower end pieces into the consoles (think i3s, and GTX 460s) they will not compare at all. They have to if they want to keep the consoles small anyways, they don't give them much room to breath/cool. =/
    No, it's more evident that console manufacturers are going the way of the quad core CPU, as it seems to be the most ideal without being overkill. Console performance now is not a lack of CPU power, the Xbox 360 has more then enough juice to run any desktop game at max settings, however it is hindered by an ancient graphics card. I know Nintendo is using a modified AMD 5850 GPU in the upcoming Wii U console, along with a quad core IBM processor with a shit ton of memory. At this point with Sony shares at a 31 year low, I am not even sure if they will release a new console.

---------- Post added 2012-05-15 at 05:54 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Friendlychap View Post
    Apparently the next xbox & playstation are gona use SLI/crossfire like setups with their GPUs. And since they don't have to deal with an OS like we do on Desktop PC they're able to push out a lot of power with nothing in their way. Is it really fair to compare say...an i5 2500k in a desktop vs a i5 2500k running in a console? One would assume the i5 2500k would be running much faster just because it doesn't have to deal with any junk the PC does.

Who knows if the next gen's SLI/Crossfire type gpu setups even if they're running on old GPUs....wouldn't still be able to be as powerful as current gen high end cards?
    lol you do realize that NO ONE is going to buy a console with dual graphics cards, that's going to cost a fortune and console fanboys are not going to shell out over 500 dollars for a console again. The PS3 was evidence enough of what the market is willing to bear price wise, so no, you are incorrect. Not to mention they are going to heat up like bastards and be excessively large. Consoles are designed to be small in size, not full tower desktops.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    No, it's more evident that console manufacturers are going the way of the quad core CPU, as it seems to be the most ideal without being overkill. Console performance now is not a lack of CPU power, the Xbox 360 has more then enough juice to run any desktop game at max settings, however it is hindered by an ancient graphics card. I know Nintendo is using a modified AMD 5850 GPU in the upcoming Wii U console, along with a quad core IBM processor with a shit ton of memory. At this point with Sony shares at a 31 year low, I am not even sure if they will release a new console.

---------- Post added 2012-05-15 at 05:54 AM ----------

lol you do realize that NO ONE is going to buy a console with dual graphics cards, that's going to cost a fortune and console fanboys are not going to shell out over 500 dollars for a console again. The PS3 was evidence enough of what the market is willing to bear price wise, so no, you are incorrect. Not to mention they are going to heat up like bastards and be excessively large. Consoles are designed to be small in size, not full tower desktops.
    Any desktop game at max settings? LOL WHAT?! Yeah, when the Xbox 360 is running BF3 at max settings (AA actually INCLUDED), maybe, but no, the Xbox 360 has 5-7~ year old hardware. Please don't post such garbage.

In regards to SLI.... read more of the thread, they could do dual 520s or something similar, as much as that would still suck though.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Why bother SLI-ing any cards that they could afford to stick two of in a $400 console? Can you even SLI two GTX 520 or CF two HD 6450s?

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah just looked it up, 520s can't be Xfired, but regardless, why are we talking about silly consoles anyways? /realizes what he's been doing
    "A flower.

yeah just looked it up, 520s can't be Xfired, but regardless, why are we talking about silly consoles anyways? /realizes what he's been doing
    Because we are being good and sticking to the topic of the thread

By the way, I am fully expecting my computer to easily keep up with the XBox 1080 (so the one after the 720). That is how far behind console technology is.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just to put this out there... Xbox is supposedly using the 6670 in the next gen console. Console gaming will always be behind PC gaming in terms of hardware. They find ways to manipulate code and such to allow it to still look good and play at the FPS they need for console gaming. Xbox 360 has near 8 year old hardware in it, and the next gen is already starting out over a year behind and it hasnt even came out yet. Hopefully PC gaming can take a leap forward, but I doubt it. Buying a console and not having to deal w/ much is always the easiest way out for most.

10+ Year Old Account
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 6670!!!

What big boys they are now. :P

Yeah, it will be fairly current tech (only one generation old, unless AMD suddenly turns around tomorrow with the 8xxx series) but it's still extremely low-end. Hardly a worthy GPU for 1080p gaming.
    "A flower.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 6670!!!

What big boys they are now. :P

Yeah, it will be fairly current tech (only one generation old, unless AMD suddenly turns around tomorrow with the 8xxx series) but it's still extremely low-end. Hardly a worthy GPU for 1080p gaming.
    How would that compare with the 5850 or 5870 from the previous generation? I know both were in the slightly higher end of AMD's product line in the 5000 series, but yeah, while the 6670 might be a decent choice, I think it's more about getting the performance from a console without having an expensive as hell system. I think they will stick with the same processor type as well to keep costs down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    How would that compare with the 5850 or 5870 from the previous generation? I know both were in the slightly higher end of AMD's product line in the 5000 series, but yeah, while the 6670 might be a decent choice, I think it's more about getting the performance from a console without having an expensive as hell system. I think they will stick with the same processor type as well to keep costs down.
    If I recall, 3-4 6670s = 1 5870.

Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    Code:
    Not really the place. But i know 4 people that have, nex to their own Xbox360, another locked xbox360 on which they run cracked games. Its easy to do, and these locked versions are dirt cheap.

Wii I dont really use that console myself anymore, my gf does and she buys the games in stores. But i know for a fact, since a ahem.. close friend did it, that is very easy to run cracked games on the Wii aswell.

Ps3 is the only one im not to sure about. But im sure its there, numbers from torrentsites on active console torrents show its there.

And something the industry is starting to realise all to well is that pre-owned is perhaps worst then piracy. Piracy can in no way be proven its a lost sale. If it wasnt available for pirating you cannot know if someone wouldve bought it or not. However selling second hand games for consoles is a guarenteed loss in sale for the publisher and developer. That person was ready to buy a new copy, and was instead sold a pre-owned copy. Something we see pretty much exclusively to consoles.

Thats why sony and MS shell out a lot of cash on deals to draw exclusive content and deals to their console. Look at all the unique IPs or preferential treatment that is sometimes given (hello DLC 2 months early). Something that doesnt happen for the PC as there is no big corporation that benefits from it, unlike MS who takes a cut from sales of xbox360 games or sony for ps3 games.
    These companies have an active interest in getting sales and development for consoles, and would rather benefit from almost a total demise of pc gaming in favor of consoles. And they are willing to pay a lot of money on that. THAT is why developers prefer consoles, and piracy is merely the excuse they use.
    I never said it was difficult in general, I said it was more difficult compared to PC's. Proof is the fact that PC Piracy has been going on longer as well. PC's are easier to pirate on, end of story. You hear more cases of pirated OS's, games, music, videos on PC's than on any console. Many more Game developers, music producers, movie producers all agree with this as shown in my previous links.
    Last edited by Saithes; 2012-05-16 at 12:59 AM.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Any desktop game at max settings? LOL WHAT?! Yeah, when the Xbox 360 is running BF3 at max settings (AA actually INCLUDED), maybe, but no, the Xbox 360 has 5-7~ year old hardware. Please don't post such garbage.

In regards to SLI.... read more of the thread, they could do dual 520s or something similar, as much as that would still suck though.
    I said it COULD, I didn't say it was. No game is running at true 1080p, nor are they running at max settings. I said it has enough CPU power to do it, but it lacks the RAM and GPU to do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somehow I doubt it has the CPU power to do it, especially on some of these newer games. The Xbox 360 and PS3 (and Wii for that matter) have 6+ year old tech, their CPUs are bloody old as shit.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    the rumored GPU for the xbox720 is a HD6670, hardly even a mid range card for computers, so it's not like PC will have to play catch up, and i doubt PS4 will be much better

also, on the issue of piracy, it doesn't really cost the gaming industry anything, regardless of platform, and looking at the cloud and serial key based system for next gen consoles, piracy and used games will be a non existent

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering the console's GPU's are old as hell yet still being able to play bf3/mw3 in 720p, I'm acturally interested in seeing what kind performance you can get a few years after their release (When developers acturally start optimizing for the console, which also happened with the 360/PS3).

If piracy really is an issue on a PC game:
    1. They didn't do a good enough job on the port, nobody wants to pay $60 for an unoptimized, GFWL, nearly no options/rebindable keybindings & horrible support.
    2. The buyer needs a good reason to WANT TO buy the game, the reason can be: constant patches, support, some form of online-interaction (multiplayer/co-op/leaderboards), the developers needs to listen to their customers.
    3. Release a goddamn DEMO if you want customers to see if the game is something for them (Gets rid of a portion of the pirates, $15 may not be much, but it's much for a student & you certainly don't want to blow it on nothing)

Orcs Must Die got pirated like hell on the release week, why?
    No offline mode on Steam's side (you need to be online to go offline, in the European steam client)
    No co-op/online interaction
    They didn't listen to their customers, nearly no patches were brought after release, only DLC

While there's some people who will always pirate stuff (aka. scumbags), if they fill the criteria listed above they will get rid of a large portion of pirates.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Honestly... the chances the next gen consoles will compare to anything you listed, is next to "it won't." Considering they will likely put mobile pieces or lower end pieces into the consoles (think i3s, and GTX 460s) they will not compare at all. They have to if they want to keep the consoles small anyways, they don't give them much room to breath/cool. =/
    a 460 and an i3 w/ a minimal O.S. designed for like a tablet or less would be pretty amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    Considering the console's GPU's are old as hell yet still being able to play bf3/mw3 in 720p, I'm acturally interested in seeing what kind performance you can get a few years after their release (When developers acturally start optimizing for the console, which also happened with the 360/PS3).

If piracy really is an issue on a PC game:
    1. They didn't do a good enough job on the port, nobody wants to pay $60 for an unoptimized, GFWL, nearly no options/rebindable keybindings & horrible support.
    2. The buyer needs a good reason to WANT TO buy the game, the reason can be: constant patches, support, some form of online-interaction (multiplayer/co-op/leaderboards), the developers needs to listen to their customers.
    3. Release a goddamn DEMO if you want customers to see if the game is something for them (Gets rid of a portion of the pirates, $15 may not be much, but it's much for a student & you certainly don't want to blow it on nothing)

Orcs Must Die got pirated like hell on the release week, why?
    No offline mode on Steam's side (you need to be online to go offline, in the European steam client)
    No co-op/online interaction
    They didn't listen to their customers, nearly no patches were brought after release, only DLC

While there's some people who will always pirate stuff (aka. scumbags), if they fill the criteria listed above they will get rid of a large portion of pirates.
    it's not that impressive when you consider that they only have to play at 60FPS max, and have much lower quality textures, its like playing a PC game on the absolute lowest settings on a 720 res screen, at those specs the intel HD3000 can play MW3/BF3

there will always be people that pirate games simply because they don't want to pay for them, they make up an extremely small percentage of the pirating population, in the same way that anyone can shoplift a game from a store, but few do, most people pirating games are bypassing DRM for a game they paid for, or want to try it before they buy it, neither of these where issues 12 years ago when every game had a demo and only had a CD key or Disk-in-Tray DRM to deal with