is GW2 combat aim based like a FPS?

reading this thread over on mmorpg.com

I notice that people say this game is aim based like a FPS, and not tab target. is this true?
    Ok well all attacks are in a way ones that u can aim with. But a few are directional AIMs. How they work is you point your mouse in the direction and height you want it to go and it flys that direction (like FPS/tera) Also the GTAOEs are much like aimed abilities in gw2. As with the FAST option of quick aoe something option basiccly where ever your mouse is thasts where the GTAOE is going (many classes main abilities is a gtaoe that needs targesting on few sec cd so you use it alot and do far more damage with the faST option enabled)
    Paladins are Cool Now?
    What happen to Kalgan?

It's tab target but there are some abilities that only shoot straight, some shoot towards the target but only go straight, and some abilities follow the target.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    It's tab target but there are some abilities that only shoot straight, some shoot towards the target but only go straight, and some abilities follow the target.
    in the quote, which attacks aimed by mouse, I mean.
    Paladins are Cool Now?
    What happen to Kalgan?

Quote Originally Posted by Knighthonor View Post
    in the quote, which attacks aimed by mouse, I mean.
    He's talking about ground target abilities. The 'aiming' is just deciding where you want to place it on the ground.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2012-05-15 at 02:35 AM.

Guild Wars: Modern Warfare

no, its one of the trillion hotkey/tab targeted MMORPGs.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's, at least in my eyes, kind of a hybrid of the old tab-target system and an action MMO, really depends on the ability you use.
    RIP Gunther, he wanted orange, the world gave him lemon-lime.

Short: No, it isn't.

It's hotkey combat, meaning you target something and when you press an ability it'll be used on that target. The combat is based around the dodging and damage avoidance mechanics, and the global cooldown doesn't exist. Everything has an animation, and as long as you're not in the middle of an animation for something, you can use that ability. There isn't any 1.5 second delay like in WoW.

However, the abilities do abide by physics, sort of. If you shoot an arrow, for example, it'll be shot at your target but if there's a wall/another player in the way, it'll hit that instead. Similarly, for melee attacks anything within the arc of damage also receives damages.

So the targeting simply provides aiming, rather than being absolute like in a game like WoW. The ability will still be cast and go on CD, even if you have no target or the target is out of range/out of los.

Then of course there's the ground targeted stuff, which the most basic is AoE circles. You use your mouse for that, but saying GW2 combat is like an FPS just because of that is too big a stretch.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-05-15 at 03:16 AM.

Deleted
    Engineer <<Dart Voley>> its like a FPS , even if u have already targeted the player
    For example in Counter strike , if u hold down the left click , while u hold AK47 > the weapon will lean to the left and then to the right , spraying all over the place .
    So u have to , gentle lean the mouse to the down-right and then to the left , in order all ur bullets to go in a staight line

Same happens with the <<Dart Voley>>
    After the 2 shots , u have to lean the mouse on the left side and then to right , otherwise 3 shots (pitiful damage dont bother) with miss (normaly its a aoe attack , but it might be used as a FPS single target attack)
    Last edited by mmocd9c65c8d53; 2012-05-15 at 03:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    no, its one of the trillion hotkey/tab targeted MMORPGs.
    Aww we gots a hater in our midst.

I notice that people say this game is aim based like a FPS, and not tab target. is this true?
    Wrong forum bro! *Points to Tera forum.*

Quote Originally Posted by Magdaer View Post
    Guild Wars: Modern Warfare
    I almost spit my drink all over the screen....thanks for this!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Plzbegentle View Post

Same happens with the <<Dart Voley>>
    After the 2 shots , u have to lean the mouse on the left side and then to right , otherwise 3 shots (pitiful damage dont bother) with miss (normaly its a aoe attack , but it might be used as a FPS single target attack)
    I definitely noticed this, but I hadn't really thought about it until now; Found myself having to lead my target slightly for the shots to connect, which was easier said than done when trying to avoid getting hurt in close range.
    RIP Gunther, he wanted orange, the world gave him lemon-lime.

The game does highlight the enemy that's directly in front of you automatically, and you can just fire an ability and it will target and hit it, so you CAN run around and just aim and attack without manual targeting. Of course, you can also just mouse click or tab to target as well if you prefer. Basically this game is a nice hybrid.

I played by just aiming at enemies and using holding down the right mouse button the entire time, and it worked fine. I do wish they'd add a mouse-look toggle though, so we don't have to hold down a button.

reading this thread over on mmorpg.com

No for the most part. for the most part if your use to tab targeting and you have a target it acts like normal hotkey MMOs, but that does not mean you have to select a target to hit them, if you don't select a target you can cast still and it will hit whatever is in the default direction of the spell and some weapons for some classes do have swing arcs, for example if you have 2-5 targets direectly infront of you in about a 60* cone in melee range a Ranger with a longsword will hit all 2-5 targets. (Currently AoE target cap is 5 enemies, odds are this will stay this way even when it goes live because of reasons I won't try to explain but either way thats the probable hard cap on AoE targets)

So it is still very much a hotkey MMORPG, but you don't have to select a target to hit something, its just easier if you do.
    Last edited by Hockeyhacker; 2012-05-15 at 06:25 AM.