Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Failed to launch a critical file.

Not long ago I was able to open the game fine, but now I get:

"Failed to launch a critical file. Please close all other applications, temporarily deactivate your anti-virus software, and try again. Alternatively, log in as administrator and try again."

I've tried everything it said, even reinstalled D3. No luck, please help?

That's extremely strange.. Have you/ Can you install it on another computer or from Battle.net? Try either of those and see if the same thing happens. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some hidden file somewhere and not letting you start it properly. Try searching everywhere for a remainder file.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have another computer, unfortunately.

I made this account, solely for the reason to help you out here Musik. I had this problem earlier, and it appears to be an issue with the Bnet updater. (People have had the same problems with the MoP beta etc...).

What I had to do was CTRL+ALT+DELETE and start the task manager, then end the process for something called Agent. It may be slightly different than that (I don't remember the EXACT name), but it was agent.exe or something very very close. Then I restarted D3 and it worked just fine. Agent.exe is an extension of the bnet updater, that seems to have some pesky bugs in it.

For some reason Agent.exe doesn't shut itself down when you close D3/uninstall/reinstall etc...

I could open D3 at first, then I got this error, ended Agent, and everything works fine now.

best of luck! Let me know if it works for you too.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyain View Post
    I made this account, solely for the reason to help you out here Musik. I had this problem earlier, and it appears to be an issue with the Bnet updater. (People have had the same problems with the MoP beta etc...).

What I had to do was CTRL+ALT+DELETE and start the task manager, then end the process for something called Agent. It may be slightly different than that (I don't remember the EXACT name), but it was agent.exe or something very very close. Then I restarted D3 and it worked just fine. Agent.exe is an extension of the bnet updater, that seems to have some pesky bugs in it.

For some reason Agent.exe doesn't shut itself down when you close D3/uninstall/reinstall etc...

I could open D3 at first, then I got this error, ended Agent, and everything works fine now.

Xyain. I could hug you so much right now.

Thank You!

I made this account solely for the purpose of thanking you, Xyain.
    Not many people go out of their way to be helpful, or kind.

I tried what you said and it worked perfectly.

Thank You.

I did what u said Xyain and it still doesnt work:/ if anymore possible help i wold really appreciate it

Deleted
    i've launched it in administrator mode and suddenly i got this error , unticked it and the game started no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by dragothica View Post
    I also get this error when I have Administrator Rights enabled, when I run the game without them it runs just fine.
    took away admin rights and now it works, thanks!

Blizz fucked this one up really badly, I would have had about 10hours to play since midnight launch and managed barely 2 thanks to their shitty trafficking...

Diablo 3 "Critical File" Error (Mac OS Lion)

I'm getting this bad boy every time I try to play while it's "playable" lol. I'm guessing that the launcher/updater has permissions to the "critical file" when it tried to actually run the game.

postimage.

org/image/81czbdn3f/

---------- Post added 2012-05-27 at 10:37 PM ----------

Here is the thing: I can't do "administrator mode" in Mac OS. Any advise?

I tried deleting the agent and runnning/ not running as administrator and nothing worked. The thing that did work however was a simple troubleshoot compatibility..never before had that helped me but for once i am happy to have it. For the less advanced people out there, right click the icon and click "Troubleshoot compatibility". It runs it in windows xp service pack 2 and i saved settings and it all works fine again. Hope this helps someone.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyain View Post

Thank you!!! This worked for me