Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    in Limbo... damn the Wi-fi is expensive here...
    I'm playing atm, but none of my achievements are counting.... it sucks I just beat one of the bosses in act 2 and didnt get the acheiement for killing them.

Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    This is where your entire post goes down in flames
    You may hate its content production, class balance, practices etc etc and I agree with you for the most part.

But not other company runs a MMO as smoothly as Blizzard in the backstage. Servers have constantly low ping granted your ISP is decent, 40vs40 battles without any network lag, cross server everything chat, dungeons, raids and soon zones

@OP:

Answer is very very simple:
    Not giving a crap.

Why should they?
    People will rave about diablo (even as most seem to be 14-17 year olds who never played diablo in its time, just join the hype) and will play it and adore it no matter what problems it has, so why should they waste money on making sure its smooth?

It all solves itself in time, when people try to log later, give up for the day, have to work and whatnot, even then they might be "furious" but the next day they will play it lol, besides its not a subscription based game thus there is no loss of revenue if players are pissed, they already bought the game.

Personally im not playing it, found the beta to be a tad bland and very similiar to torchlight, but would still play it if not for the constantly online issue.
    I travel a lot and many times i dont have a stable internet connection, so i am in all senses deprived of a single player game due to it, thus i didnt buy it.
    If you dont dont give a crap and arent playing it why commenting then my friend.

Everytime an MMO launches there's downtime. Just be happy you didn't spend 5 1/2 hours waiting in a queue to get in then have the servers crash. I think Blizzard went ballsy this time around. Their infrastructure didn't have any limits on how fast nor how many people could log in so if anything they just underestimated the amount of nerds that were going to take work/school off today.

Quote Originally Posted by Graph View Post
    I think any game that lunches and tries to have million of people logging on at the same time will have problems, People just have to be wait for them to fix it.
    Yup, read this OP. you are stupid.

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Radux; 2012-05-15 at 07:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Are you really looking for logic in a game that sends you dragons via the mail service?...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dariusz2k View Post
    Everytime an MMO launches there's downtime.
    Problem is this isn't an MMO.

And for the record SWTOR, a real MMO, had no launch-downtime at all. Blizzard screwed up that's all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    This is the mentality we have to fight! This is 2012, we arent in 2005 anymore Internet gaming isnt a wonder new thing, its something that its here, costumers that payed to play should do it from day 1 and the companies have to work for it.
    No its your mentality we have to fight. Gamers have been getting along with launches just fine until your kind began to start demanding flawlessness from everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    You really shouldn't talk about them being amateurish if you know absolutely nothing about the subject. I don't know either, and you don't see me complain after 2 hours of constant Enter and Ctrl + V spam. Give it a rest already.

Copied from another post:

"Actually, they probably exactly estimated launch traffic.

They probably decided the traffic (and bitching) would die down after the first 24h. Once people can log in, they assume we won't care.

Is it worth the extra 200 servers/Virtual Servers to handle launch load? They assume people will bitch and go to bed, come back tomorrow and play. Problem solved, $1M saved."

No one will remember or even care that they couldn't log on for the first 2 hours in a day or two. Most of the posts about the launch are already dead and buried because all those people are playing. Just remember that the next time any server based game is launched, you aren't going to be getting on for the first few hours. Also, what is failing is almost entirely the LOGIN servers, which have exactly one purpose, authenticate and transfer people logging on. Once people are in the game the login servers aren't used anymore, so there's little point in stacking the hell out of them for a one time launch spike.
    Last edited by Dacomp89; 2012-05-15 at 06:52 PM.

This is the mentality we have to fight! This is 2012, we arent in 2005 anymore Internet gaming isnt a wonder new thing, its something that its here, costumers that payed to play should do it from day 1 and the companies have to work for it.
    No this is not a Mentality we have to fight. Yes it is 2012, not 2005, but this isn't solely a game issue. Any server in the world will have significant issues trying to deal with a massive amount of people all pinging it with requests at near the exact same time. Its not something that can just have a magic wand waved at it so it disappears, no amount of game coding or server coding can eliminate complete server overload at this point that I am personally aware of.

Why do you think Zombie attacks on internet sites are still effective? Because of this issue.

So personally no I do not think the launch was amateurish given just what their servers are having to deal with currently. Once a few days have passed and the buzz has died down things will almost assuredly smooth out as the game population smooths out and people start logging in at different times rather than all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by DPA View Post
    Yup, read this OP. you are stupid.
    yes I may be, For believing D3 launch would be smooth

Quote Originally Posted by vanin View Post
    SWTOR, a real MMO, had no launch-downtime at all
    That isn't completely accurate.

And for the record SWTOR, a real MMO, had no launch-downtime at all. Blizzard screwed up that's all.
    It is an MMO. Diablo 3 is more popular than SWTOR.

Check Activision/Blizzard last shareholder report, and check next one to see Diablo3 box sales.
    ATVI as an entire company makes about 4.5 billion a year in revenues. They don't report revenue by game, if you checked the quarterly shareholder financial reports. You are misinformed.

10+ Year Old Account

NO but it sure as hell had 5 hr queues so it didnt make much difference to a lot of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacomp89 View Post
    Is it worth the extra 200 servers/Virtual Servers to handle launch load? They assume people will bitch and go to bed, come back tomorrow and play. Problem solved, $1M saved."

No one will remember or even care that they couldn't log on for the first 2 hours in a day or two. Most of the posts about the launch are already dead and buried because all those people are playing. Just remember that the next time any server based game is launched, you aren't going to be getting on for the first few hours.
    this this this this this this this this this this this this.

Why spend a bunch of extra money to survive the WORST server loads you'll experience in the entire lifetime of your product? In a day, no one will have any issues, and life will be fine. The internet will forget about it, and misc "ZOMG IT'S ONLINE ONLYYYYYYY. BUT WHO AM I KIDDING I SPEND MY ENTIRE LIFE ONLINE ANYWAY!" posts.

What I don't understand is how online games like Modern Warfare can work at launch while a game like Diablo can't.

I really think Blizzard did an amateurish work. They are supposed to be the best in the industry. They are also the richests.
    Now, people that were against being online for a single player game like Diablo have even more munitions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    Based on their subscriber numbers and the monthly cost of a sub, reaching that amount of income from WoW alone isn't difficult. Of course, that is before you even figure in mount/pet purchases, etc or even other games like SC2 and D3 purchase income (also soon to add RMAH income)

um, 10 million players, at the max 15 bucks a month is 150 million, then you got other services they charge, still not even coming close to a billion a month, you were insane for saying billion and a lunatic for adding the 's' at the end of it.

Deleted
    I must say that I'm very annoyed. This is single player game for many of people and we can't play it - why ? Blizzard is making 1 billion$+ yearly and they can't afford a decent authentication servers ? This is bullshit.

Yeah SWTOR shut down after 4 hours of uptime for maintenance.

BUT STILL, you made a SINGLE PLAYER based game, and made it ONLINE ONLY...

how does that face that you just spent 60 dollars on a game and you still cant play it smoothly 14 hours after launch? I got on at 3.30 CST and log off at about 5 am...
    when I tried to get on about noon today and I havnt been able to get in a game today... so thats an hour and half of play time since launch.
    Theres really no justifiable way to release a game at midnight when %75 of the people cannot log on still.

If you dont dont give a crap and arent playing it why commenting then my friend.
    You misunderstand me, it is not me who doesnt give a crap, its blizzard.

Also, by not playing does it make me any less eligible to comment on why they arent having a smooth launch? I had no idea that when you bought the game you were granted some sort of inside knowledge :P

My guess is as good as yours, but i stand for what I said, they didnt care and have no reason to. Players love it and will soon forget about it, in two days the problem solved itself at 0 cost, why waste millions to make sure its a smooth launch then?