Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Hello,

I've been playing arena competitively (2k+) for a couple years now. That being said, I've literally ran into three women in total in arenas - all of which were on the same 5s team that I found in /2 and was like 1300MMR.

So, that leads me to ask - do women even play arena competitively? Maybe it's just Sargeras Alli, but I don't see em.

It'd just be nice to splice up all the raging testosterone in vent/skype -_-
    How do you know the real sex of your opponents? Do you have a magic monitor that produces a gigantic pink arrows that points to players that are female, complete with a speech bubble that say "OMG ITZ NOT A LADZ". The majority of younger females have more sense than to say what sex they are unless the like the sight of boys dribbling over them

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Biston View Post
    You say this like there is a non-binary gender option.

Yes, but women avoid disclosing their gender like the plague. Guys are dumb.
    Tough to avoid disclosing your genre once you get on skype though!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    I know there is a very competitive all female team that goes around tourny to tourny and would easily crush some of the 2200 guys that think they are all stars.

I don't think there has been a female in a tournament team in years. There may have been an all female team in TBC? Maybe? Not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    I know one decent female playing mage at 2kish ratings, not that high but that's probably highest rated girl that I'm sure is a girl.
    Other than her ALL the girls I know who have at least some interest in pvp and arena are really terrible, especially healers.

Girls panic, give up easily and generally aren't aiming for competitive play, it's guys who want to 'be the best' usually. Most females just want to have relaxed fun or help others and feel 'needed'.
    Well, this is highly anecdotal and borderline sexist, but in there you do come somewhere within the vicinity of some actual nuggets of truth.

It is true that, as a whole in American society, girls are socialized differently than boys. Go watch groups of kids playing ... boys will be in more age-homogeneous groups, whereas groups of girls will have a greater age-range. This is because boys are more prone to activities/games where even just a year difference is an insurmountable physical obstacle (find a 9-year-old who can run as fast as a 10-year-old), whereas girls tend to focus more on activities where competition is not so much the goal as inclusion. And this is actually supported by research (which I could probably find and cite if I felt compelled to, but I have read it for myself) and not just anecdotal.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Sounds like you expect every char to be called Iamawoman if they're female.

Wow, these forums are full of shit these days, most of the time its some lonely bloke asking for dating advice or some other shit, how about you stick to games for christ sake and not ask totally irrelevant things, who cares if woman do or don't, they are still people for fuck sake.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelodalix View Post
    By "some" you mean one (Hafu).

And you say that was if there are several WoW arena "tournys" out there. Which there aren't. If by tourny you mean they've participated in all the Blizzard Arena Passes then disregard my comment, but if not it'd be quite funky if you could actually tell us what tournament(s) they've been attending.

Note: I am trying my absolute best to not sound sexist. I've played with women who are/were at gladiator level, from TBC throughout to now in Cataclysm, and am one hundred percent sure there are many, many more. I am just not a big fan of people overdoing things/making false claims; ergo "hey there are thousands of all women teams that compete in tournaments and have been to Blizzcon and shit" when in reality the only girl who's ever played in a Blizzard/player hosted tournament was Hafu when she teamed up with Glick, Rhaegyn and YoG.
    This too.

In the end, it's like asking if girls raid. Do girls raid? ofc they do. Are there a lot of girls top end pve? No. Do girls arena? Ofc they do. Are there lot of girls in top pvp(especially arenas)? No, and even less so than pve.

For every 10 teams in high end arena maybe one of them has one female on it. The same goes for competitive fps and starcraft and all other types of competitive vidoe games. If you are talking about people who professionally game and go to real tournaments(and no, arena server is not a 'real tournament' unless you get really high), there are barely any. It's not sexist, it's just fact as of now.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrrar View Post
    For every 10 teams in high end arena maybe one of them has one female on it.
    Probably less than that actually, I've played with a lot of people at what I would consider reasonably high end, very few of them have been female. Only maybe one or two have been female and what I would consider "high end" (top few % of arena players)

Part of the reason there aren't many females is that "only nerds play videos games like wow/starcraft". There are females that are high rated and even rank one but more males play video games this is suprising.
    You're right except for 2 things.

1. My name is spelt "God" not "Loucious-sama".
    2. I'm not a man, because man is inherently flawed. I am in fact a being so far beyond your comprehension that archaic constraints like flesh, blood, time and consequently, gender, have no meaning to me.

Deleted
    They are exceptionally dangerous when they are actually trying, but fortunately most are just not interested.

Why fortunately? In this game their increased ability to perform multiple tasks and more logical approach in strategy make them so superior.
    Most of female players I know don't arena or even pvp at all, but those who do are all highly ranked.

For every 10 teams in high end arena maybe one of them has one female on it. The same goes for competitive fps and starcraft and all other types of competitive vidoe games. If you are talking about people who professionally game and go to real tournaments(and no, arena server is not a 'real tournament' unless you get really high), there are barely any. It's not sexist, it's just fact as of now.
    While true, it's important to point out that the smaller number of high-end female arena players is not due to an INABILITY of females to be just as competitive/adept/skilled as their male counter-parts, but simply that there are fewer female WoW players, in general. A few people in this thread have suggested (or even flat-out stated) that women simply CANNOT be as competitive/skilled in arena as men, or that, at the least, they have a lower skill-ceiling... this is patently untrue. (NOT saying that you were one of them, just thought that you made a good point, hence the quote. )

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Biston View Post
    You say this like there is a non-binary gender option.
    Uh. Globally, there are literally dozens of recognized genders, including: transgender, trans, transsexual, intersex, androgynous, agender, cross dresser, drag king, drag queen, genderfluid, genderqueer, hijra, intergender, neutrois, pansexual, pan-gendered, third gender, third sex, sistergirl, brotherboy, and many more. Gender is definitely NOT a binary category. You may have been considering biological sex instead, which, interestingly enough, is also NOT binary.

Sources for those interested: http://www.turtlebayandbeyond.org/20...erent-genders/ , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_identity, http://jezebel.com/5812179/the-navaj...ferent-genders
    Quote Originally Posted by Urti
    No, they (new-gen gamers) are happy. Never happier than when they are crying loudly about the injustices of voluntary forms of entertainment.

Most of the time, especially in WoW/MMOs, the women that have to make sure you know they are women aren't very good at the game, so you wont see them in high arenas. You probably have seen/played against plenty of females, they just didn't need to make sure you knew they were girls.
    I think there's a lot of truth to that, across-the-board in all facets of life. Women who are good at things in general are not exactly interested in opening themselves up to being patronized. The real sexism that exists in the world is not the blatant obnoxious behavior that most people probably imagine, but is much more subtle and perpetrated by people who don't actually mean to do harm but just don't understand that they're being condescending.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SonsofDisaster View Post
    Uh. Globally, there are literally dozens of recognized genders, including: transgender, trans, transsexual, intersex, androgynous, agender, cross dresser, drag king, drag queen, genderfluid, genderqueer, hijra, intergender, neutrois, pansexual, pan-gendered, third gender, third sex, sistergirl, brotherboy, and many more. Gender is definitely NOT a binary category. You may have been considering biological sex instead, which, interestingly enough, is also NOT binary.

Sources for those interested: http://www.turtlebayandbeyond.org/20...erent-genders/ , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_identity, http://jezebel.com/5812179/the-navaj...ferent-genders
    A.) The people who know about this note you included a lot of overlaps. The people that don't, don't care.
    B.) If girls are rare, non-cis is rarer still.
    C.) Not really relevant to PvP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

10+ Year Old Account
    umm theres a lot of women in arena but i seriously think that some arena players are carried by their more skilled team mate, regardless of gender.

Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    I've literally ran into three women in total in arenas
    And how are you so sure about that? I don't understand why guys keep thinking that girls are a myth or something, some (like me) may just want to actually play the game, not brag about their gender. I have seen a few girls that want to let people know at all costs, but most really don't care I guess. Does it really matter anyway? It'd be quite awkward to whisper your opponent team after arena saying "oh btw im female". Or not?

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah ..some girls really just feel the need to tell their gender. i dont get it.

in my experience , at least in our server, when there is a raid and a girl talks on vent..she gets flamed..hit on..all stuff negative.

as a result, ive never spoken on vent and have been known to lie about ..you know.

going back to the point, you can see a lot of arena players on twitch.tv, they have their webcams on.....its for you to gauge if you think they are competitive or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Obviously.... How sexist do you have to be to even ask this question?
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

Deleted
    the person who asked this question obviously has never gone out and seen the actually real world, now here is a piece of advice get of the computer and go out and actually see that in every aspect of life men and women are equal and in every place there are women doing things that you would not expect and probably doing it better than men in a lot of places.
    I am a man as well just gota dig this type of sexism out of the world, Of Worldcraft

Deleted
    Cut the "discriminatiooon!!" talk. Women and men are different. The equality talk is about rights and duties, not capabilities and interests. Women are not copycats of men. They are less interested in all kind of competitive games and sports. Take individual cases and yes, there is no reason to be better or worse at it. The very best player of the world could be of either gender. Take whole gender vs whole gender and yes, by sheer stadistic they will have less representation and be worse. In a game where there are already less women than men (though I suspect the number are not that far as many people think), in the aspect which is less inclined to interest women they will have spare representation.

Deleted
    one of my arena buddies is female, our 5s team managed to get to 1800 in one evening (Im sure we could get to 2k if people were online at the same times), shes pretty good on her Resto Shammy

sexy accent too, its a calming presence

The number of people getting up on their soap boxes about oh no sexism and completely missing the point are amazing.

How can you function as human beings in society when apparently gender and sexism issues jumps to the fore in your head whenever someone mentions gender? Ironically it must be frustrating for the opposite gender to be around you.

Stop all this "HOW DO YOU KNOW IF THEY ARE MALE OR FEMALE STOP ASSUMING" crap. We the arena community can make judgements on how many female players there are in arena because we have played with many different arena players, with voice chat, and thus know what gender and at what skill level they are. For some people who have played with a lot of partners, they might even have a statistically significant sample size.