Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlychap View Post
    What happened to the time when you bought a game and it came with the full game. You owned the game.

Now look, you can sell used stuff...but now with steam/drms you are not allowed to resell or lend your games out....since when is video games so different to any other item I own.

People say..."Oh well...be greatful we get extra content to enjoy our games even more!" Well that is just wrong....we're not even getting full games these days. We're paying a premium price for a game that only gets 50-70% of it's content released...and we literally pay for the rest in 10% batches until all the content is released and you've end up spending $100/120 USD for a game.

Game developers...creating 100% of game....marketing team...please remove 30-50% of the games content....ok better now...now with this extra content we already have finished and meant to release with the actual game itself...we'll just sell them in small batches and charge people extra so we can make tons. Let's also make sure we have a 1 time use so no one can resell or lend the game to their friend or even let their siblings play it.

Friend comes over....hey can i play x game? Na mate sorry it's on my profile you can't play...you'll have to go out and buy your own copy & register it on your account sorry!

SO many game developers are purposely holding back features and content for extra profit...and it's starting to annoy me. I really wish something would be done about it. If only people would stop buying games from companies that do this.

So stupid.
    1. Reselling games were growing & killing the industry, sure it's not hurting Activision/Blizzard/EA, but smaller studios who publish their own games/have a publisher like Paradox Interactive were continuing to getting molested by the used game market, I agree with you on "Hey can I play with you?" "Nope sorry, you need to buy the game yourself".

2. The only continous payment should be in MMO's, they shouldn't exist in anything else, so I agree on that.
    (The $60 + $60 game/DLC thing is only in Call of duty, so you're overkilling there.)

Steam is doing a good thing with it's DRM, since it's the only option in our time, it's the internet, everyone wants to get the very best for free, if you didn't pay $15 for Bastion or $25 for The Walking Dead & just got them off torrents for free, the studious would be GONE, continous growing would kill the PC Gaming, you choose.

It took Skidrow 3 days to make a server emulator for Diablo III, while legit paying customers gets screwed by maintenance, lost achievements & disconnects, this is not how the industry should work. The always-online DRM is way over the top.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

The "old style" games are now "Game of the Year" edition of that game. Look at Arkham City per say you get in the GOTY version everything that was released + a new campaign -> this is just an example there are tons of other games. That should have been the ORIGINAL game. Another thing that HAS to be done. EACH GAME SHOULD HAVE A LEVEL DESIGNER! Another favorite of mine which I only see on consoles these days: SPLIT SCREEN CO-OP!

Right now I personally am disappointed that I have to buy ALL the Mass Effect DLCs from XBL and they're not all packed in the game or in a GOTY edition of the game or a set with all 3 games and ALL the DLC. It's just so annoying >_< especially when some DLCs are actually parts of the original story that got cut out. Sure I can understand alternate costumes or maybe even stages for a fighting game but single player campagins?!?

I also hate the Blizz way of doing things. Launch an expansion, build a major patch every 4months or so and everyone has to pay a monthly fee! Either buy the expansion -> play forever or pay a monthly fee -> get every expansion/major content patch included. They're double dipping in wallets and raising the bar for new customers >_<.

DLC is becoming a real problem, slowly but surely. I have nothing against full level dlcs that are not required to get the games full main story but things like weapon packs, character costumes, new "real" endings and mini transactions in general are becoming more and more common. Things like that should be unlockables and part of the full game. Basically they cut chunks out of a game and intend for them to be dlc from the start. Greed is a nasty thing.

As for second hand games. I don't care. I don't buy them myself and I don't sell games back to stores either. They rip you off and I have regretted selling games when I was younger.

It all started when Kotick said he wanted consumer to pay up to five times the amount for one game.

Companies that care only about their shareholders, trying to maximise profits do not care about their consumers. Yet they do not realise, that if they lost their consumers they would be nothing.

I too miss the days that when you bought a game from the store, you were pretty much guaranteed that you would have many days of play time to enjoy it, and most likely that it would be moddable, and that the developers intended it to be moddable. These days DRM screws stuff up so much that you buy a game that lasts you six hours, and then you can't do much else with it. You can't even look into the source code and play around with it to extend its playability, because it's all encrypted lest someone crack it.
    RETH

Quote Originally Posted by kivipää View Post
    Shows what you know. SC2 was cracked within days, and Diablo 3 was already pirated in the beta. Yes, there were D3 private beta servers.
    Did you see the so-called D3 pirate beta servers? They (or should I say, "it", since there was only one) was completely disfunctional.

Expect to see the same worthless crap for any so-called D3 release pirate servers for quite some time. I imagine that eventually someone might get something running that is vaguely playable - but it's going to be so much work that I doubt it will ever be up to much.

15+ Year Old Account
    What happened to the time when you bought a game and it came with the full game. You owned the game.

Now look, you can sell used stuff...but now with steam/drms you are not allowed to resell or lend your games out....since when is video games so different to any other item I own.

People say..."Oh well...be greatful we get extra content to enjoy our games even more!" Well that is just wrong....we're not even getting full games these days. We're paying a premium price for a game that only gets 50-70% of it's content released...and we literally pay for the rest in 10% batches until all the content is released and you've end up spending $100/120 USD for a game.

Game developers...creating 100% of game....marketing team...please remove 30-50% of the games content....ok better now...now with this extra content we already have finished and meant to release with the actual game itself...we'll just sell them in small batches and charge people extra so we can make tons. Let's also make sure we have a 1 time use so no one can resell or lend the game to their friend or even let their siblings play it.

Friend comes over....hey can i play x game? Na mate sorry it's on my profile you can't play...you'll have to go out and buy your own copy & register it on your account sorry!

SO many game developers are purposely holding back features and content for extra profit...and it's starting to annoy me. I really wish something would be done about it. If only people would stop buying games from companies that do this.

So stupid.
    I 100% completely agree with this and have been saying it for many years. DLC and paying $50-$60 for incomplete games is what has driven me away from console gaming. If there is a game out that I want to play, I usually pirate it. Most of these gaming companies can kiss my a$$ anyways, and do not deserve my money.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufcat View Post
    If there is a game out that I want to play, I usually pirate it. Most of these gaming companies can kiss my a$$ anyways, and do not deserve my money.
    You see all that DRM that annoys folks so much?

It's necessary because of people like this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ContentsMayVary View Post
    You see all that DRM that annoys folks so much?

It's necessary because of people like this.
    People like that are going to get past it anyway. Anyone with a habit of pirating games is going to figure out how to get past the DRM in 5-20 minutes. There are very few games I can think of where the DRM stops anyone with even a bit of knowledge around the subject from playing the singleplayer mode of something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zefie View Post
    People like that are going to get past it anyway. Anyone with a habit of pirating games is going to figure out how to get past the DRM in 5-20 minutes. There are very few games I can think of where the DRM stops anyone with even a bit of knowledge around the subject from playing the singleplayer mode of something.
    Doesn't matter. People pirating makes developers and publishers use DRM. It might not be very effective, but they'll keep doing it.

If you don't think a game (or any product) deserves your money, don't pay for it and don't get the product.
    Pirating sends the wrong message.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    Doesn't matter. People pirating makes developers and publishers use DRM. It might not be very effective, but they'll keep doing it.

If you don't think a game (or any product) deserves your money, don't pay for it and don't get the product.
    Pirating sends the wrong message.
    So because people do something that DRM won't stop, developers have to put in DRM. Wat.

Honestly, I pirate games to try them, in the same way that I listen to albums elsewhere before buying them. There's no other way to decide if it deserves my money or not besides guesses.

So stupid.
    I agree. I remember having friends come over and we would connect our playstations and have about 4 players total, and would play racing games like Crash Team Racing or GranTurismo.
    Now it's cheap quality single player games with all of the investment placed into a equally poor multiplayer mode.

Thank god for The Pirate Bay.

10+ Year Old Account
    So because people do something that DRM won't stop, developers have to put in DRM. Wat.
    guesses.
    I'm not saying they have to. Just why they're doing it.

DRM and piracy are both different problems.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    I'm not saying they have to. Just why they're doing it.

DRM and piracy are both different problems.
    So basically, developers are stupid and make futile efforts?

10+ Year Old Account
    So basically, developers are stupid and make futile efforts?
    I think it's the publishers more than the developers, but yes.

Both game developers and publishers have some really stupid ideas about a lot of things. DRM and piracy are amongst them. Pricing is another.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

15+ Year Old Account
    TBH I have pirated games and still do. Those that I find interesting and fun enough I usually buy after finishing the game just to support the publisher. I bought all ME games after finishing them. Same with SC2. But there are a lot of games that I've tried, even finished in some cases, but never bought.
    Last edited by Deleo; 2012-05-22 at 02:57 AM.
    I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me.
    We are not monsters! We are not the mindless wretches of a ghoul army! NO! We are a force even more terrifying! We are the chill in a coward's spine! We are the instruments of an unyielding ire! WE ARE THE FORSAKEN!
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long.

I'm not sure why some people are upset about Steam. I've never had to be connected 100% of the time to play my games, I've only had to log in once and then disconnect my internet (that's what my friend does when he's over).

Also, for the used game thing... what about a used car? Should reselling a used car be illegal because the manufacturer doesn't receive a profit? Same goes for a video game.

I think game companies are just getting very greedy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chry View Post
    I'm not sure why some people are upset about Steam. I've never had to be connected 100% of the time to play my games, I've only had to log in once and then disconnect my internet (that's what my friend does when he's over).

Also, for the used game thing... what about a used car? Should reselling a used car be illegal because the manufacturer doesn't receive a profit? Same goes for a video game.

I think game companies are just getting very greedy.
    I dunno, I guess I don't really hate Steam. I was just irritated that I had to go through Steam to get my copy of Skyrim to work . . . and now Skyrim won't run unless Steam is in offline mode for some reason.

So when I installed ME3 and it wanted to go through Origin . . . /rageface.
    Putin khuliyo