Page 1 of 2
LastLast

+damage or straight stat items?

I found a yellow ring with +33 int on it today and found that the +2-4 damage ring I got 2 acts ago gave me better damage... 29 damage in fact. I am very confused on why this much of a straight stat would not be better then 2-4 damage....

If someone could clarify me on weather or not I should use the +33 int ring or not...

Thanks.

33 int on a witch doctor or wizard is going to give you 33% increased damage on spells

I believe your looking at weapon damge not your spell damage 33 int way better

From what I thought I understood is that everything is biased off of weapon damage.

Weapon dmg = spell dmg folks...

The better your base weapon is, the more benefit you'll get from +int because it is a % based variable. Chances are at your current state 2-4 just gave more damage because you have a low dps weapon or something. You also have to consider though, +int boosts your resists, so it's likely the better choice overall and will scale better.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    33 int on a witch doctor or wizard is going to give you 33% increased damage on spells
    This. Most class stats are basically direct percentile damage increases - on spells for some (WD), straight up attacks for others (Barb).

Quote Originally Posted by Dhurn View Post
    Weapon dmg = spell dmg folks...

The better your base weapon is, the more benefit you'll get from +int because it is a % based variable. Chances are at your current state 2-4 just gave more damage because you have a low dps weapon or something. You also have to consider though, +int boosts your resists, so it's likely the better choice overall and will scale better.
    This is what I had thought, I have pretty good yellow off hand and main hand wizard items. I just hate that such a big state increase (33) did not show up better then 2-4 damage...

mouse over you int stat and you will see the bonus % for your spell. DPS isnt every thing.

At first, straight up damage boost (2 -3 damage and such) will be a higher dps boost than your primary stats will be (more so with faster weapons)
    Later on when you have high 'natural dps' with better weapons and gear, then stats will start becoming a larger deal because they increase your damage by %
    EDIT: unless my theory is wrong

Quote Originally Posted by The Ogdru Jahad View Post
    so does that mean the strength ring on my monk who uses dexterity gets no benefit other than armor?

That is true

EDIT: All primary stats have some 'defensive' usage
    Last edited by BLSTMASTER; 2012-05-16 at 04:28 AM.

so does that mean the strength ring on my monk who uses dexterity gets no benefit other than armor?

I think so, just like the only thing Dex gives my Barb is dodge.

Quote Originally Posted by BLSTMASTER View Post
    At first, straight up damage boost (2 -3 damage and such) will be a higher dps boost than your primary stats will be (more so with faster weapons)
    Later on when you have high 'natural dps' with better weapons and gear, then stats will start becoming a larger deal because they increase your damage by %
    EDIT: unless my theory is wrong

That is true

EDIT: All primary stats have some 'defensive' usage
    So the fact that you quoted me in a post BEFORE my post, was a huge mind fuck until I figured out it was an edit. lmao, thanks for the help! Also thanks beanman not forgetting ya!

So the fact that you quoted me in a post BEFORE my post, was a huge mind fuck until I figured out it was an edit. lmao, thanks for the help! Also thanks beanman not forgetting ya!
    your mind. I like it.

In your character screen theres the damage stat under armor. That factors in everything, including your % boost.

this is exactly how I thought D3 damage was, just so every class is balanced in a sense. Well put and lets hope this is how it is coded to be. even though I would rather Int give more damage then straight damage.

Strength = Armor for everyone, damage for barb
    Dex = Dodge for everyone, damage for monk / demon hunter
    Int = Resistances for everyone, damage for wizard / witch doctor

If you haven't already go into your options and turn on advanced tool-tips this will give you more info and help you tell what you will get more damage out of.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post
    Strength = Armor for everyone, damage for barb
    Dex = Dodge for everyone, damage for monk / demon hunter
    Int = Resistances for everyone, damage for wizard / witch doctor

If you haven't already go into your options and turn on advanced tool-tips this will give you more info and help you tell what you will get more damage out of.
    Thanks for the clarification, but question, is it viable to have gear for a class with other stats that aren't primary for you? Like a monk with a little str and int here and there? Or is it always better to build purely dexterity or w/e your primary stat is?

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Slot, did you compare the dmg your actual spells did? Or did you just go by the dmg shown on the character sheet?

10+ Year Old Account
    You should always take your class stat (Int, Dexterity, Str ect) as they do a %'age of your damage rather than a straight out number.

Or if you're like me, Just stack magic find

10+ Year Old Account
    I've noticed that +damage gives a much greater boost to your dps, rather than +stat.