Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gino View Post
    from what I have read is that windows 8 is going to be another micro$oft OS like vista and ME .. total shit. I personally will be just sticking with Win7
    I totally agree. And the whole "metro" thing makes me feel dirty
    I used to love going to the beach during summer, until Greenpeace started trying to push me back in the water.

Well I think this is a good time but actually it'll be a little better to wait for the next generation of video cards, which will also give Ivy bridge a bit more time to put a dent in the cost of Sandy bridges, even if the Ivys themselves don't depreciate much in price.

---------- Post added 2012-05-17 at 03:54 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    I'm sure there'll be some way to disable it :P
    In my experience MS doesn't give people ways to disable unpopular horrific features. Their corporate philosophy is more "you're going to like it, DAMNIT!".

Deleted
    Best time to buy/upgrade a PC is when you need it.

Gonna disagree, 6-12 months ago was the best time to buy.

1. Got in early (more use) on sandy bridge. Sandy is a superior overclocker because of the heat issues with ivy, normal (non k ) ivy are superior to sandy of course, but i wouldnt touch ivy k series.
    2. HDD prices. I built my PC last august and got a 500gb seagate with a sony dvd burner in a combo deal for 48 bucks, nowadays that would be like 100 bucks.
    3. Back then you could get 256bit gtx 460/465 for 120.00 bucks new with warranties, now they sell the crappy 192 bit for 139.99.
    4. Ill only half agree on SSD prices because back then you could find 60gb (most popular size) for 60 bucks on sale, but the larger ones were more expensive.
    5. I am going to disagree on the 7000/600 series GPU's, because no one needs that much power right now. GTX 600 and radeon 7870 and up are all over priced. Until they release a 660ti model in the 250 range finding deals on older gen cards are a much better value. For example, im pretty sure a gtx 670 is not 4x more powerful than my gtx 465, which i paid 100.00 NEW for 8 months ago.

Its an OK time to buy a PC, but not ideal! (mostly because of the inflated prices on new GPU's, 400 dollars for a graphics card is not within a lot of peoples budgets).

I paid 850.00 for my system last august, here are my specs: (850.00 for everything, monitor, mouse, windows)

22" hannspree 1080p monitor
    Windows 7
    Razer naga (got it for 50 bucks, promo code)
    Biostar p67 mobo
    GTX 465
    500gb seagate HDD
    Sony dvd burner
    8gb 1600mhz cas 8 gskill ram
    Hyper 212+ cooler
    antec 300 illusion case
    antec 520w HCG power supply
    surge suppressor power strip

I bought everything from newegg minus CPU and MOBO i got from microcenter.

Deleted
    @Fascinate:
    Best time to buy was around late 2006 when Core 2 Duos were launched. You could get E6600, 2GB ram and 8800 GTX -level system around $1200-1500 depending on other components. Funny thing here is, if you tossed in another 2GB ram at some point, that system is still mostly game worthy even today, nearly 6 years later.
    Last edited by mmoc7476e5f4f7; 2012-05-17 at 10:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raykus View Post
    @Fascinate:
    Best time to buy was around late 2006 when Core 2 Duos were launched. You could get E6600, 2GB ram and 8800 GTX -level system around $1200-1500 depending on other components. Funny thing here is, if you tossed in another 2GB ram at some point, that system is still mostly game worthy even today, nearly 6 years later.
    eh, not really, most of my friends have dumped almost that exact build in favor of i5's, and the one who hasn't, his barely runs

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Still mostly game-worthy? Frankly I'd disagree with that, the GPU does not even have native support of DX11, thus the person would be held back tremendously, especially in any newer titles.

I guess it would still be mostly game-worthy if all you care about playing are 2006 and older games.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

15+ Year Old Account
    If you bought an GTX 560 TI to go with your C2D however like I did ;> Still going strongly and very game-worthy!

Deleted
    Hmm, with game worthy I meant capable of running almost any game out there at playable framerates, despite of lowered settings. Still no small feat IMO.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Regardless, I would agree with the OP, now is certainly an excellent time to upgrade, whether by crossing the Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge, they will both lead you to the promised land of 1155 Intel Lane Z77 world. ;p I'm not 100% sure because it was more or less before my time, but I am not aware of the Q6600 technology supporting SATA III 6Gb/s ports, so that's another added bonus of upgrading now.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water