Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Myths about IT guys.

Why does everyone think that IT guys, especially programmers are fat, lonely, stinky, boring and socially awkward people? I work as programmer and my colleagues are cool people, non of them have any troubles finding a girl, lol, girls even seek IT guys. Why does my non IT friends have to make fun of me because of my job? Especially people like factory workers and lawyers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by -Dalliah- View Post
    Because stereotypes.
    and
    /thread

Because most spend the majority of their time stuck to chairs but, not all are out of shape

Deleted
    Because IT is, by and large, a fairly monotonous job to be in. Few people actually work in the development sector in comparison to just plain old system administrators or maintenance guys. All the jobs that are required by society to function get some bad rep.

People call teachers lazy, doctors overpaid, lawyers greedy, accountants dull, IT guys lonely losers. However unessential jobs, e.g. actors, singers, writers etc, get a certain level of praise. For whatever reason we like to piss on the people that keep our day to day lives running in a smooth fashion. All the celebrities die in the morning, the world continues without much issue except for mourning. All the IT guys drop dead? Nothing works. Teachers? Enjoy an uneducated few generations. Doctors? See where I'm going?

15+ Year Old Account
    Myths about IT people? They know what they're doing. lolololololololol

But seriously, it's because your job involves spending all day in front of a computer, you know who else does that? Gamers. Gamer stereotypes get applied to you.

http://www.globalnerdy.com/wordpress..._flowchart.jpg
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

It guys? I only know about it girls, and the stereotypes about them are totally true, dude.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post

But seriously, it's because your job involves spending all day in front of a computer, you know who else does that? Gamers. Gamer stereotypes get applied to you.

You know which other jobs involve sitting in front of computer many hours a day? most of non manual job.

Just about all white collar jobs are this way now.
    "Peace is a lie"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppey View Post
    Why does everyone think that IT guys, especially programmers are fat, lonely, stinky, boring and socially awkward people? I work as programmer and my colleagues are cool people, non of them have any troubles finding a girl, lol, girls even seek IT guys. Why does my non IT friends have to make fun of me because of my job? Especially people like factory workers and lawyers.
    I instead know IT guys that are exacly the opposite and fit the stereotype. I just have to go to IT department in my university and laugh.

Sadly this is SOOOO fucking true hahahahahahaha, you just made my day

but the sterotypes are sometimes true, sometimes not. Me and this kid both worked at IT at our school for about 2 years. I'm the one at the beach, hes the other one

http://imgur.com/a/ISbey
    Last edited by Chaosbubba; 2012-05-17 at 05:52 PM.

How many blizzard employees does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
    None, its working as intended!

Deleted
    The same reason people claim the Infantry are stupid and uneducated, it is just a stereotype.

Because the world is still run by generations that didn't grow up with computers. A job involving computers in any way is seen as just another forum of video gaming for a shocking amount of people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, my brother in law worked IT for GE when he was younger and he is just a normal dude, but I've also run across plenty of big fat neckbeards who act like Comic Book Guy when you ask them for help. The stereotype reinforcers are definitely out there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Yes, somebody's got to fix my internet and I'll find someone for the task. By any means necessary.
    I need my daily dose of Youtube.
    I can tell you why women like IT man - money, good sex, money, bright future, good manners.

Stereotypes are just a crazy thing man, nothin' we can do about it because they are here to stay!

Deleted
    Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Quote Originally Posted by Dyondegekstee View Post
    Have you tried turning it off and on again?
    I called Cox Communications to troubleshoot my connection, which constantly dropped. This was the 5th time I called and I was already tired of going through the same steps every time I called. The conversation went like this:

Me: "I've already reset my IP using the Command Prompt. I have reset the modem and the router. I have unplugged everything and plugged it back in. I have changed the wires. I've done this every time I've called, and it didn't fix the problem. I even replaced the modem and router. I think the problem is on your end and you should send someone out."

Him: "Alright. Did you try resetting the modem?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Deleted
    Because people are dumb.

10+ Year Old Account
    , non of them have any troubles finding a girl, lol, girls even seek IT guys..
    Both managers from both jobs have been.. slightly off... No socal skills; nor the ability for general conversation,
    Yet everyother worker I've worked with in IT has been perfectly normal, decent weight and none of them seemed to have lack fo female company?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's...closer to the truth than you might think. And I've seen enough of them, young and old.