Which classes are strong at which points in the game?

I was talking with some friends a few days ago about this game, and what classes we would all be...(I chose Witch Doctor).

One of them said Demon Hunters start off really powerful but become weak later in the game, while Wizards start off weak and become a powerhouse of demon death later on.

This got me wondering...which classes are powerful at which points in the game?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    my barb started off kinda weak but after I got revenge and Whrilwind ive just been tearing everything up

Hard to say just yet. I'm still ploughing through normal, at the beginning of Act IV. I've been playing with a group of 3-4 including my DH, a WD, Mk and Barb. All of us can easily solo a room full of mobs at this stage, and we're more concerned about magic find, then any survivability stats. We might get a rude shock when we reach nightmare, but I will welcome the challenge, and the harder stages will help identify what classes really shine.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Melee Wizard completely dominated the entirety of normal. Dunno how, but apparently that's not that common. I died twice. Once to belial, and once to Izual.