Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Elective Mode - Useful or Easy Mode?

It seems everyone is discovering Elective Mode now. My friends are telling me about it, I see forum posts about it, etc.

The question is this. I prefer playing it the 'normal' way, where I can only use one ability per action type. I consider Elective Mode to be "Easy Mode". Which is fine. It's my play style, my game, whatever. The issue is... Am I going to start running into people or groups that consider me 'gimping' myself by staying on normal? Am I holding a group back, or causing a handicap, but sticking with it? Or should I just do what everyone else seems to do and have all the stuff I want at the ready?

Personally I use elective mode, but it hasnt really changed gameplay for me, I find it no easier than playing without it enabled really.

Deleted
    I don't see how it's "Easy" mode...
    On my Wizard I only change 1 slot from mastery to another Forceful.
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...dOR!aXb!bZaaaa

Doesn't change a thing, don't bother with what people may think. I use elective mode but my friend doesn't, and he is just fine. Elective Mode just opens up more build possibilities, doesn't mean you will end up with a better one with it activated.

Enjoy wiping on Act 3/4 in nightmare mode with your "normal mode"

I can see it now: World First Inferno Elective Mode

10+ Year Old Account
    ofc I use Elective Mode, why would you want to be restricted to a set of skills?
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

what is elective mode?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Babaganouch View Post
    ofc I use Elective Mode, why would you want to be restricted to a set of skills?
    Because thats the way the game was designed? Its more a challenge?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    If that's the way the game was designed, then how come we have the option to turn it on?
    You arguement is just as valid as "Oh, let's play with every key-bind, video/sound/gameplay option on default because that's how it's designed". : )
    Last edited by vian; 2012-05-17 at 07:46 AM.

Advanced tooltips are also disabled in several other games by default.

the unfamiliar player, won't look for a way to turn it off, and may be confused.
    the familiar player WILL find a way to turn it on.

I rather enjoy having my bird and my shadow power (or mobility options) available at the same time on my demon hunter

10+ Year Old Account
    If that's the way the game was designed, then how come we have the option to turn it on?
    You arguement is just as valid as "Oh, let's play with every key-bind, video/sound/gameplay option on default". : )
    I could say the same about Hardcore mode.

I see it like spec choices, what I want to use when.

Certainly, you have the choice to use all of them turned on... But if that were the default, then it would make turning on 'non-elective' mode completely useless.

Elective mode should be the default setting, honestly.

Default setting is actually noob mode, apparently elective mode would be too confusing to beginners.

Deleted
    What the hell? The only reason for "normal" mode is so newbies are not overwhelmed by too many abilities at once. So they tagged them with some categories to make it more clear. It's exactly the same as advanced tooltips.

Not using elective mode is like moving in WoW without strafing, playing StarCraft 2 without unit healthbars or leveling in HoN with auto-level abilities mode.

Default settings =/= "the way the game was designed".

INB4 World First! without using keybinds!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Digits View Post
    Default setting is actually noob mode, apparently elective mode would be too confusing to beginners.
    Word.

I found myself in so many awkward situations when leveling, not knowing which set of skills I could use for certain encounters. Now I have my 6 skills that I run with and Im glad I did go through those horrible deaths to find out : )

10+ Year Old Account
    You arguement is just as valid as "Oh, let's play with every key-bind, video/sound/gameplay option on default because that's how it's designed". : )
    An excellent argument. Good use of a counter-example to prove a stance. I approve and agree.

The skill locked categories didn't get added until late in the beta and was just to help new players pick a variety of skills. For most of the games development it was only elective mode.

10+ Year Old Account
    YOU ENABLED MUSIC LOOPING! WHAT, YOU TOO CASUAL BABBY FOR ONE-OFF MUSIC, HUH!?

Elective mode is disabled by default because it'd be too confusing for the average windowlicker to figure out.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow