Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

NYPD Stop and Frisk Policy- Targeting Minorities

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1521081.html

So for those of you that didn't know, the New York Police Department engages in stop and frisk policies whereby a police officer can detain anyone based on "reasonable suspicion," and proceed to question and frisk that individual. In 2011, they stopped nearly 700,000 people, 87% were either black or Hispanic.

Not for nothing, about 12% of these stops resulted in arrests, and nearly 6,000 guns have been seized since 2002.

Do you support this policy?

Will this further alienate law abiding minorities and strain the relationship between the police and the community?
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

NYPD stopped and frisked 8% of NYC total population last year???

That's bullshit and needs to stop
    Every man is born as many men and dies as a single one

-Martin Heidegger

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    Will this further alienate law abiding minorities and strain the relationship between the police and the community?
    Probably. I'm ambivalent - it increases the likelihood of stopping a crime before it can happen, but it also kinda smacks of "police state," behavior and seems open to corruption/abuse of power.

As to the minority angle? Whatever; minorities commit the majority of crimes, so it's understandable if they'd be selected over others in a random lineup.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

I was born and raised in NYC. Lived there for 26 years.

From the time I was 14 till about 24 years old I been stopped multiple times a week by cops just because I looked suspicious.

Never found anything on me. Never been arrested.

NYPD IS corrupt. Lots of times they planted drugs on my friends just to be able to lock them up and get some fingerprints because they had none on record. I myself have had drugs planted on me one time even after I ALLOWED the cop to look in my vehicle. He put me in cuffs, kept searching, found nothing, then let me go.

I really have no problem with targeting suspicious behavious. But if I'm walking to the store to buy milk for my mom in my own freakin neighborhood I shouldn't have to be bothered by police, cuffed or questioned especially when I have no prior history of ANYTHING.

Also if NYPD wasn't so corrupt it wouldn't bother me as much either. But when you KNOW the shit that they do on a daily basis (even pulling over drug buyers, taking the drugs and bringing it right back to the dealers... no one gets arrested) it really is hard to trust any type of law enforcement.

btw I'm a soldier in the U.S army now.

Deleted
    US is democracy no longer, its turning into police state (like USSR was), police can do anything, you can be arrested there for no reason and held inprison without trail. Sad country is sad, even worse than in my shithole (Slovakia).

Quote Originally Posted by Hatlatitla View Post
    US is democracy no longer, its turning into police state (like USSR was), police can do anything, you can be arrested there for no reason and held inprison without trail. Sad country is sad, even worse than in my shithole (Slovakia).
    Police states and democracies aren't mutually exclusive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Probably. I'm ambivalent - it increases the likelihood of stopping a crime before it can happen, but it also kinda smacks of "police state," behavior and seems open to corruption/abuse of power.

As to the minority angle? Whatever; minorities commit the majority of crimes, so it's understandable if they'd be selected over others in a random lineup.
    This explains a lot about you, of course, Oklahoma...
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    God, Guns, Gays and Gynecology - the Republican 4G Network.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1521081.html

So for those of you that didn't know, the New York Police Department engages in stop and frisk policies whereby a police officer can detain anyone based on "reasonable suspicion," and proceed to question and frisk that individual. In 2011, they stopped nearly 700,000 people, 87% were either black or Hispanic.

Not for nothing, about 12% of these stops resulted in arrests, and nearly 6,000 guns have been seized since 2002.

Do you support this policy?

I do fully.
    If the police and the country for that matter doesn`t have a strong grip you can expect thousands of incidents and people crying for "fascim" while holding a PC flag.
    Pretty much like you have in france and partially in britain where the cops can hardly do anything and are afraid to

Don´t complain where there isn`t a problem
    The alternative is far far worse

Deleted
    Power corrupts, unfortunately. The western world is slowly but surely becoming a police state and it presents a number of troubling possibilities for the future. Though here in the UK the police are a lot less zealous and tend to have their hands tied for various reasons. I've lost faith in the authorities due to their lack of action in a number of domestic violence cases involving members of my family as the victims.
    Last edited by mmoc454417f773; 2012-05-17 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post

Something like 1% of stops have turned up illegal weapons. Even after factoring in crime rates minorities are still being more heavily targeted. Please get educated on something like this before you support it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Police states and democracies aren't mutually exclusive.
    Real democracy cannot turn into police state because it would undermine the basic principle of democracy....
    If you prefer total control of the state over everything you do, everywhere you go, than its your choice. Atleast I can vote more than two parties , but hey the US is on another lvl from USSR you can vote TWO parties not like in USSR only 1. Now thats a progress !!!!!

"When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty"
    Last edited by mmoc74dbc71507; 2012-05-17 at 09:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bany View Post
    I do fully.
    If the police and the country for that matter doesn`t have a strong grip you can expect thousands of incidents and people crying for "fascim" while holding a PC flag.
    Pretty much like you have in france and partially in britain where the cops can hardly do anything and are afraid to

Don´t complain where there isn`t a problem
    The alternative is far far worse
    Well, our minorities have been anywhere from 1 to as many generations as non-minorities, dear European.

You people ban your burkas, our situation is different.

Deleted
    Real democracy cannot turn into police state because it would undermine the basic principle of democracy....
    If you prefer total control of the state over everything you do, everywhere you go, than its your choice. Atleast I can vote more than two parties , but hey the US is on another lvl from USSR you can vote TWO parties not like in USSR only 1. Now thats a progress !!!!!
    Your avatar offends me
    Mods from mmochamp are freaking hypocrites for allowing it, the number of people that died because of communism it is far superior to what the germans did.
    I bet things would be a whole other matter if i were to use a swastica on my avatar..
    And that is just the problem that the current world faces, and it reflects on the (european) police
    The americans don´t know how good they have it, proper response times with proper motivated, caring professionals without fear from anyone, internal or external

The americans don´t know how good they have it, proper response times with proper professionals without fear from anyone, internal or external
    Unless you're a minority. Then your search and seizure rights are negotiable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your avatar offends me
    Mods from mmochamp are freaking hypocrites for allowing it, the number of people that died because of communism it is far superior to what the germans did.
    I bet things would be a whole other matter if i were to use a swastica on my avatar..
    And that is just the problem that the current world faces, and it reflects on the (european) police
    The americans don´t know how good they have it, proper response times with proper motivated, caring professionals without fear from anyone, internal or external
    Sorry, the world doesn't care about his avatar. Go change the world's perception.

Your avatar offends me
    Mods from mmochamp are freaking hypocrites for allowing it
    This kind of attitude really sheds some light though on why you're ok with this.

Deleted
    Your avatar offends me
    Capitalism and Imperialism killed far more people than Nazis and Communist combined.... so stay cool

10+ Year Old Account
    Capitalism and Imperialism killed far more people than Nazis and Communist combined.... so stay cool
    Icwutudiddur. Nice one.

Back to the subject at hand....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This kind of attitude really sheds some light though on why you're ok with this.
    So does that comment
    Side against the people that are most likely to commit felonies (sorry..it is indeed the m word, not just them but definitely them) for fear of your own protection, your children and your property and get called a fascist or nazi
    This is why some countries in europe are they way they are..because of people with this attitude

---------- Post added 2012-05-17 at 11:05 AM ----------

Yah right, communism alone did enough dmg in eastern europe, korea and china to make up for 2 or 3 stock market crashes