10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Wizard's Intelligence vs Weapon Damage! Advice wanted!

Hello everyone! Ok, after playing some hours, some questions got raised and among them is this.
    First of all, very basic, Im assuming that Intelligence is the best stat for a Wizard (dps wise). So far so good! My main question lies on the weapon stats. The dps that Im reading on the weapon, is it only physical, like Im going melee? Or it involves magical dps? And after that question, what stat should I focus on a weapon for me? +Dmg or Intelligence? I have seen possible upgrades with more Intelligence that increase my Intelligence dmg on the details if I take the new weapon, but they show me a decrease in damage in the tooltip if I do it!
    I know that I my forming of question my not e the best, but I think it got through!

Thx for reading!
    Ridiculous this is... Yes, something very ridiculous is happening in here!

from what i gathered:

all spells do damage based on your weapon damage, intellect multiplies this damage. thus +dmg would be better for you than int at low levels, as you get higher levels intellect becomes better

I figured it's more the other way around, the more of your main stat you have, the more valuable +damage becomes.

+damage is better in every case.

At low levels, your weapon damage is so low a point of +damage is like 5-10% more damage. At high levels, you have a lot of intellect, multiplying the value of +damage.

If you don't have +damage on your rings, amulet, and weapon, you're doing it wrong.

yea it's kindof annoying that a weapon with a little more dps and no int ends up being better for me than one with 150 int :/ but i guess in end game it will make more of a difference

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom51 View Post
    +damage is better in every case.

At low levels, your weapon damage is so low a point of +damage is like 5-10% more damage. At high levels, you have a lot of intellect, multiplying the value of +damage.

If you don't have +damage on your rings, amulet, and weapon, you're doing it wrong.
    ^this
    /10chars
    Only death my pay for life

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom51 View Post
    Some tooling around with different items and looking at my DPS stat made this pretty obvious for my Monk (I was surprised to see that a 20 dex ring wasn't better than the +1-2 damage ring I had, or something like that). I've got +3-6 damage rings and neck right now, and flawless rubies in my weapons.

Does the DPS statistic align reasonably with output capability for a caster also? It seems like it might be weird for a Witch Doctor, how do +damage and int work for his minions?

10+ Year Old Account
    From 1 to around 35-40, +damage will outdo most chunks of Intelligence on gear. Once you come closer to the end of Nightmare, Intelligence will begin to pick up, once you have a 150+ dps weapon and 700+ Intelligence. (Estimating. Only going by what I noticed when gearing.)

Deleted
    If you go to Options>Gameplay>Show advanced Tooltips you can see how much % of you weapon damag you spells do.

1% damage modifier for every point of main stat.
    +1 damage with 100 Int for example is essentially +2 damage.

+Damage is going to be better in almost all cases because it is a flat damage increase, as opposed to the % increase that comes from Int. That, and the +Damage is also increased by the % from Int, making it even better.

BETTER BE STACKIN' THEM RUBIES IN YOUR WEAPONS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all your answers everyone! Really helpful!
    Ridiculous this is... Yes, something very ridiculous is happening in here!