Need Help Comparing 7970s

After reading reviews on both the Sapphire and Gigabyte models on Newegg i decided to go with the Gigabyte due to the reports of coil chatter on Sapphire. Now im going through a massive case of buyers remorse kinda thing. No joke the day after i happened across a review saying Sapphire cards are in the end more OCable and faster. Looking on Newegg Sapphire is throwing an "effective clock speed" of around 4 times every other card. Is there 2 different scales they are running on? is it just some bogus shiny number kinda thing? I mean its the same card basically for one to run 4 times faster seems a bit ridiculous.

Just looking for anyone who can explain. And now that newegg dropped the Sapphire $30 more remorse :P

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Gigabyte 7970 will play every single game @ max no worries

It also isn't 4x as fast so not sure what you read.

yea was counting on the max thing for the eyefinity setup i was planning on running.

Effective Memory Clock: 5700/5800MHz thats the Sapphire

Effective Memory Clock: 1375MHz (5.5Gbps) Gigabyte

Those are the numbers that are throwing me

would link to Newegg but new account(its #1 and #3 on newegg if you punch in 7970)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yulzin View Post
    yea was counting on the max thing for the eyefinity setup i was planning on running.

Effective Memory Clock: 5700/5800MHz thats the Sapphire

Effective Memory Clock: 1375MHz (5.5Gbps) Gigabyte

Those are the numbers that are throwing me

would link to Newegg but new account(its #1 and #3 on newegg if you punch in 7970)
    They're just reported in different manner. Quadruple the Gigabyte's number and you can compare it to Sapphire. Actually it should read "Real memory clock" or just "memory clock" in the Gigabyte part.