Always on, the change of this time?

I've read a few threads about D3 and the always on "issue". I'm not going to complain about it... franky D3 has been great, even with a few short down periods. However, the people talking about LAN play have made we wonder. According to the ITC US internet connection ratein 2000 was 44%, a good portion dial-up. In 2012 78% of US households are likely to have broadband connections.

If you are under 20 do you know what a rotary dial phone is?

So my question, is LAN and disconnected the old man tech of era that has come and gone?

I survived dial up, the kermit protocal, more high speed techs than one person should admit to.These days I assume there will be wifi everywhere I go. When there isn't it makes no sense. For me, at least, I view my world as being connected... so why shouldn't my games move forward with that idea.

What do you think?

Do YOU want ALL games made from now on required to have an internet connection to play? Do YOU want to have to rely on another computer's status to be able to play a game in single player, 24/7/365? I sure as heck DO NOT!. ( http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/4/277...playable-games )

If you do, then I hope you enjoy your inevitable unplayable games you bought. Older games, I just need a machine that can play it and some electricity to play in single player because they don't require one bit of communication to another computer.

How would you like it if you just discovered an "always online" single player game with online capabilities then days later the company announced they are shutting down the servers for good?
    Last edited by bigmac; 2012-05-18 at 01:33 AM.