Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I think he was using clever use of game mechanics, but he looks like an idiot for basing his ability to get "world first" Inferno on being completely invulnerable to damage.

The fact that he made some stupid video about pulling out of an imaginary race made me laugh, though. This whole "world first" thing in Diablo is just some retarded ploy to get you to watch their streams or subscribe to their channels. They can't prove they're world first, only that they're the first ones in the world to post it. For all they know, some Korean gaming god is sitting there laughing at all of them as he progresses faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigeldruid View Post
    To me it wasn't an exploit, but it was something that should get fixed. Athene did nothing wrong by using this, Blizzard did nothing wrong by fixing it. I can understand Athene pulling out since, how the hell are they gonna stay competitive now?
    I don't know... Maybe play the right way? Use skill to beat the game? It doesn't take much skill to use a cheap mechanic and that is why Blizzard fixed it.

The point of Inferno is to be insanely hard.

Deleted
    Since when was Athene four different people? Why is this "Athene's world first" when he's being carried by three friends? Why do these things in a group and then take all the glory yourself?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

Using abilities in a rotation to achieve something like this isn't really an exploit. Either way though, tough luck.
    The thing with the levitate spell in Trial of the Crusader was also just "using a spell". It was still an exploit, because it wasn't intended to work like this. Exploiting, by definiton, just means taking advantage of a bug - of something, that is supposed to work differently.

It wasn't intended for monks to not take damage by doing this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lignar View Post
    I'm not sure how much time someone could have put into this when the game is just over 3 days old...

I'm not saying it's not effort, just saying this isn't the weeks-long effort you see guilds put into full clears of new raid tiers.
    From what I interpreted, the lot of them spent a while trying to discernt the most potent strat to run Inferno with, long before the game itself was released, and furthermore that they pretty much havent slept in the past 3 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Since when was Athene four different people? Why is this "Athene's world first" when he's being carried by three friends? Why do these things in a group and then take all the glory yourself?
    Because no one likely cares about the other 3 people, whilst Athene is very well known in the gaming community.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

Was the guild Athene once good in Warcraft? And who do I report to that I pulled out of the world first race? I do not want people trying to rank me when I gave up when I decided to go in to work the other day.

Also, it sounds like Blizzard did not nerf a thing with Inferno, they just prevented abusivie behavior of game mechanics.

Sounds like "Crap they found out about my exploit and I can't win without cheating."
    As for prot... haha losers he dmg needs a nerf with the intercept shield bash wtf silence crit a clothie like a mofo.
    Wow.

Athene? Exploiting? He's an attention-seeking buffoon who gets no more respect from me for doing charitable events and world firsts than the next asshole trying to make himself look good. Anyone remember when he exploited his way to Lvl 85 and a GM put him right back to 80 for it? Hilarious times.

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    It wasn't intended for monks to not take damage by doing this.
    Uhm... did you not read the tooltip ? That's EXACTLY what the spell is intended to do.

So they dropped out because their one tactic doesn't work anymore?

Athene, I am disappoint.

15+ Year Old Account
    What's the difference between an exploit and clever use of game mechanics?

Blizzard bans for exploits, but not for clever use of game mechanics. So in this case, it was a clever use of game mechanics that got fixed.

Now you know.

I don't think he is guilty of using an exploit, but Blizzard is right in every way to hotfix the issue and I am thankful that they did.

If you are skilled enough you will switch up your skills, runs, and gear to still be competitive. This is Athene sideways admittance that he can't compete because they took away his only way to win, showing that he isn't as good as he want people to believe.
    (On Dark Iron, US Realm)

Lets see they didnt stream it so no one knew....
    They knew even in beta it would be overpower...
    They cant kill bosses without that 1 glyph....
    Umm, its knowing something that shouldnt be right ie, brining 10 druids to nef to have an advantage= exploit
    This is an exploit and dont feel bad for someone to know something that shouldnt be there and not report it. He was even laughing in the video.. haha he needs to learn to play normally and not find ways to play games to give an advantage which is exactly what he does for all games.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by re1gn1te View Post
    Uhm... did you not read the tooltip ? That's EXACTLY what the spell is intended to do.
    But not indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Zabuko View Post
    It is NOT an exploit. It is an extremly clever use of game mechanics. But it is fair that they nerfed it, because it was obviously OP.
    "Clever use of game mechanics" in a way that wasn't intended by developers IS a definition of exploit.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Quote Originally Posted by ironik View Post
    Doesn't sound like a nerf to me. Rather, they just fixed an exploit that was being used. Nerfing is when they make something easier.
    Technically, it IS a nerf, to the specific skill + glyph combination they used. From a duration of 2 seconds, they NERFED it to 0.5 seconds. If they changed Berserk in WoW to last 5 seconds instead of 10 seconds, you could say Berserk got nerfed. Hence why he used the term "Nerfed", because it applies to the skill in question.

Moreover, I think it's unfair for blizz to hotfix this. As he said, they probably spent countless of hours min-maxing and theorycrafting and performing to the best of their abilities in order to keep the rotation flawless. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a mindless Athene fanboy - but what they did this time was indeed "Clever use of game mechanics".

What they did in...WOTLK, eg, where they dropped group mid-instance so 1 person could get ALL the XP and then re-invited him before he got ported out, and proceeded to do that countless times may have been indeed an exploit..but then again, the player who DID get world first LV80 practically did the same thing..received out-of-group help when he was outdoor farming, his assistant/assistants got nothing, he got all the XP.

Anyways. Back to the point at hand. If they were REALLY so stoked about the over-lapping of these skills, they could've at least let them finish their "project" and then gone through with the change.

Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    Athene? Exploiting? He's an attention-seeking buffoon who gets no more respect from me for doing charitable events and world firsts than the next asshole trying to make himself look good. Anyone remember when he exploited his way to Lvl 85 and a GM put him right back to 80 for it? Hilarious times.
    Yeah I do, He would tag mobs and drop group to get more xp and Blizzard just put him back to 80 and he did the same thing he is doing now. He crys like a baby when he gets called out for doing things that aren't ment to be done.

Deleted
    Blizzard is scared, their promise that inferno would not be cleared very fast was/is about to be proven wrong. Don't be suprised if we see a temp ban on Method/Team NL for skipping mobs on inferno and rushing straight to some bosses.

well atm monks are stupidly op.. stacking 4 monks that can continously self heal and take no dmg will easily destroy a boss... monks were even more op than blood dks at killing bosses and im laughing at how they quit when things dont go their way.

Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    Let's not get too carried away here. He's a gaming personality, like all streamers. You think people watch Towiliee or whatever because he's some phenomenal player? Hell no, they guy's pretty run of the mill skill-wise, but he has a unique personality and it attracts viewers.

Athene is like a french Howard Stern. The ass everyone loves to hate, always pushing buttons and sometimes getting reprimanded for it.