Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    Deleted

The future of obesity

How do you think the obesity 'epidemic' will look like in the future? Do you think it will be stopped, or will it continue to get worse? Will future generations have a shorter lifespan than their parents?

I am quite worried about what the future holds, and I hope societies/individuals will start investing in healthy lifestyles. I've also wondered if "thin" will be the new "fat" in the future. Meaning (for example), that thin kids will be singled out and bullied the same way as overweight children are today.

What are your thoughts?

There will always be lots of people who want to be fit. Sports help of course and they are going nowhere.

I think it'll stay on the trend it is now for at least the next few generations. Before, fat people were looked highly upon because it meant they had wealth and could live comfortably. But now medical research shows it to be unhealthy which basically means it won't be looked highly upon for awhile, if ever. Honestly, it'll only get better. My generation (I'm 21) will probably be screwed as far as life expectancy averages. I'm in great shape, not super roid ripped but I am athletically built. I personally look down at obese people which is one driving force to change people's weight I think.

People can say they don't care what others think but they tend to care enough to defend themselves, which means it does effect them. So hopefully, it'll change how people view themselves. I used to be fat but I changed it and I'd never go back. It's not hard to control your eating habits and get some exercise. People are just lazy and sooner or later, I think most people will get past that and fix thing for themselves.

Deleted
    We had a thread about a fat women not being able to dance on a stage in a club not too long ago. We had plenty of people white knighting her saying it is wrong to discriminate based on weight. I foresee this being the norm, fattism is the new racism, mark my words.

Thin already is the new fat. Back in the day, being fat meant you had plenty of money/resources/power to eat a lot.

Obesity is going to be a problem as long as horribly bad yet tasty food is dirt cheap and the healthy stuff is several times more expensive. I would love to eat super fresh totally organic etc etc but it just isn't cost effective for me at this time. Forget it if you are a single parent with a few kids.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    We had a thread about a fat women not being able to dance on a stage in a club not too long ago. We had plenty of people white knighting her saying it is wrong to discriminate based on weight. I foresee this being the norm, fattism is the new racism, mark my words.
    being fat is 100% a choice, I am the most liberal lefty white knight of immigrants, of minorities, of gays whatever, But If those arguments start being used to say that fat people are being discriminated against, I will have lost all faith in humanity, All fat people need is a kick up the arse,

15+ Year Old Account
    I think the gap between the healthy and unhealthy is going to widen and get heated as it becomes politically, socially, and economically linked. Being thin and in shape will be a greater status symbol, and being overweight will be a greater sign of poverty and gluttony. Though it already is sort of like that with some, but I think it will get worse. Especially when the obese people start taking away large amounts of healthcare money at younger and younger ages from healthy people that 'deserve' the health care more.

Quote Originally Posted by undercovergnome View Post
    being fat is 100% a choice, I am the most liberal lefty white knight of immigrants, of minorities, of gays whatever, But If those arguments start being used to say that fat people are being discriminated against, I will have lost all faith in humanity, All fat people need is a kick up the arse,
    In some countries homosexuality is a choice, but obesity is genetic

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Some people need to learn what exercise means. Ain't hard, don't be a lazy fuck.

Hopefully it will go the way of Japan and just make being fat illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Prothean View Post
    Some people need to learn what exercise means. Ain't hard, don't be a lazy fuck.
    Well exercise IS hard... Hence why its exercise...

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm fit, and so are the people I care about, so I don't really care.

As things are right now, I think obesity won't stop, and we will see more and more obese people...

I know some people have a genetic predisposition to get overweight, but with a little exercise it can be "stopped" at that, little overweigth a not obesity :/

Recent statistics show that the American population is considerably less obese than it was a few years ago. Went from like the 4th fattest country to the 13th or so. Childhood obesity is a growing problem, but more and more people are taking the initiative to lose weight and get in shape than ever before.

Oh, but don't tell the media that.
    Last edited by Veyne; 2012-05-18 at 07:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

More for the zombies to eat when the zombie apocalypse comes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    More for the zombies to eat when the zombie apocalypse comes.
    you don't have to outrun the zombies just the fatest person :S

Overall people will get fatter in the near future, especially in other countries besides the Unites States, once upon a time the US had a huge lead, but other countries are catching up as they start to eat more fatty foods. I also think because Americans has the stereotype of being fat, they are doing more to lose weight than a lot of countries, especially in Europe that think they don't have a fat problem.

Far future people will be skinnier because of tech getting rid of fat.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFyre View Post
    How do you think the obesity 'epidemic' will look like in the future? Do you think it will be stopped, or will it continue to get worse? Will future generations have a shorter lifespan than their parents?
    There's a huge medical revolution just around the corner, due to advances in biotech, DNA sequencing and nanotechnology. In the next few decades, things like obesity will not be a problem.

Well... at least not for those that can afford the medicins, which will be limited at the start and then spread across the demograhy like everything else, unless the current trend in the West (US especially) continues, with increasing gap between the wealthy class and the poor. In that case the poor will remain obese and the wealthy, and increasingly the middle-class, will have a healthy weight.

I am quite worried about what the future holds, and I hope societies/individuals will start investing in healthy lifestyles. I've also wondered if "thin" will be the new "fat" in the future. Meaning (for example), that thin kids will be singled out and bullied the same way as overweight children are today.
    What are your thoughts?
    Not. Ever. Going. To. Happen.

Thin is already a huge socia-economic marker, meaning everyone knows fit = successful (or, for kids, successful parents, meaning the kid will be successful too). Everyone knows obese = belonging to trash class.

If anything, thin will become even more high status.

Deleted
    Evolution is already working on it, not sure what they were called or how it works, but something is working on keeping people fitter, thus making the lives of fat kids easier, in about a few centuries i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Drekker17 View Post
    Overall people will get fatter in the near future, especially in other countries besides the Unites States, once upon a time the US had a huge lead, but other countries are catching up as they start to eat more fatty foods. I also think because Americans has the stereotype of being fat, they are doing more to lose weight than a lot of countries, especially in Europe that think they don't have a fat problem.

Far future people will be skinnier because of tech getting rid of fat.
    Current Reasearch being done at Arizona State University actually shows that obesity rate is no longer increasing in the united states. It is reamaining relatively stable. I highly recommend reading some of Dr. Gaesser work in the field of obesity. He was also recently on the Dr. OZ show in December presenting this information.
    Last edited by Judgement27; 2012-05-18 at 08:54 PM.