Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Are Diablo 1 and 2 worth playing?

So, with all the hype surrounding Diablo 3 I really am interested in playing it, but before I do I kinda wanna play the previous 2 for the backstory and everything. I also realize that both of these games are 10+ years old, so are they too dated to play nowadays, or are they still pretty fun?

Quote Originally Posted by Shootandkill View Post
    So, with all the hype surrounding Diablo 3 I really am interested in playing it, but before I do I kinda wanna play the previous 2 for the backstory and everything. I also realize that both of these games are 10+ years old, so are they too dated to play nowadays, or are they still pretty fun?
    If you have to ask whether or not the first two Diablo's are worth playing, then you truly don't understand how great they are/were. lol. There's not much to get. If you grew up with these games, D3 is amazing. If you didn't, a lot of people think D3 is terrible. You either love hack and slash type games or you don't. It's repetitive and a grind and that's how it's always been. If you hate it, it's just not the game for you.

I forgot to say, I think D3 came out too late. Kids nowadays are very negative gamers and most didn't grow up with these type of amazing games.

Diablo 1 moves slow as molasses and the technical problems are many on a non-XP computer or high resolutions, but if you have a modicum of patience, it's pretty good and relatively short on normal. Good from a historical perspective.

Diablo 2 is worth playing at least once, for any gamer, without question.

Both are widely considered to be exemplary of the ARPG/Rogue-like genre. D1/2 also happen to be two of the finest and well made games ever. D2 is played till this very day.

Not sure if story is worth it though. Kinda threadbare compared to modern games. The whole point of playing the Diablo games is to grind for gear endlessly... or until an expansion/sequel. Which we got after 10+ years. Think on that for a moment. People were grinding gear for all those years in Diablo 2.

Sorta missed out on the good stuff if you made it to 2012 without playing a Diablo game.

so are they too dated to play nowadays, or are they still pretty fun?
    A good game is never too dated to play and enjoy. That said you may not get the same effect from them now as you would have when they were originally released but I'd still consider them worth playing still.

Diablo 1 definately is worth one playthrough at the very least. Graphics have aged quite well due to the art style (if you can pass the low resolution) and the basic gameplay is still the same. What makes it awesome game in my opinion is that instead of being sort of thousands of mobs ganking on you all the time type of thing, there are thousands of mobs but the narrow hallways and doorways makes it more "tactical", where you have to preplan the actual gameplay more (instead of spec, which is quite straightforward, one of the things Diablo 2 did better even if I think it to be lesser game overall :P).

And why does it make it more tactical? Because you die, even on normal very easily if you let enemies gank on you in masses and you have to use the terrain to deal with them. Expesially if there are ranged mobs about, because they are bitches and can shoot over walls. Have to be careful with placement and watching there aren't that many other ways around or atleast so close they'd get to you fast.

All in all, Diablo 1 is game I enjoy a lot while other hack'n'slash games have never been much of my cup of things. (And bla bla nostalgy rose glass people, I only played Diablo 1 first time a year ago, while tried tons of other games of the genre before it and they never caught me as well as D1)

It shows it roguelike roots in places though, like running speed as someone mentioned. One of the things they didn't fix when they ported it from turn based roguelike game to real time (which it originally was before Blizzard bought the studio making it and renaming it to Blizzard North).

Still, excellent chocie to start the serie. It's also good because it doesn't force feed the story to you (as there is barely any) but you can discover the entire setting own your own pace as you go and it is fairly intriguing world.

Can't really speak much for Diablo 2 though, the six time I've tried to pick it for honest playthough, it has always bored me to death at one-two hour mark and I've just dropped it. <.<
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Playing D2 and D1 again after D3 would probably drive me mad. You don't notice just how many subtle improvements they've made to the gameplay until you're knocked back to the stone age :P
    This is my signature. You will now remember me.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    Diablo 1 moves slow as molasses and the technical problems are many on a non-XP computer or high resolutions, but if you have a modicum of patience, it's pretty good and relatively short on normal. Good from a historical perspective.

Diablo 2 is worth playing at least once, for any gamer, without question.
    This. Even if you hack your toon just to see the content, you owe it to yourself to play some D2. Shockadins and feral druids are *awesome*. And by awesome I mean ridiculously OP. But whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Throrion View Post
    Playing D2 and D1 again after D3 would probably drive me mad. You don't notice just how many subtle improvements they've made to the gameplay until you're knocked back to the stone age :P
    There is a bit of this as well. Haven't touched D1 in a good 6+ years, but did a replay of D2 after I got the D3 beta and before launch, as I was jonesing bad. And just having to click on gold almost made me stop playing. Gah. Gold pickup and constant item inventory size are worth the entire new game imo.

Skelington doesn't think so anymore.
    Diablo 1 has really slow gameplay and shows its age at this point. Going back to it is a drudgery.
    Diablo 2's highlight was Battle.net, but these past few years it's just been getting runs to end game and grinding the last boss for levels with a bot that makes games. The excitement(and challenge) is pretty much gone.

playing diablo games for the story? lol

unless you're going online with diablo 2 it's not really worth your time
    d3 is like d2 with better graphics, but d2 had better features

conclusion: no dont waste your time

Unfortunately, not anymore. I'm afraid if you didn't get to play it when they were current it's just going to feel weak compared to current dungeon crawlers. D2 was an absolute blast though.

Its a subjective topic, if you think you would enjoy it, I would suggest checking it out.

personally, I would say no. If you want the story, I would find recaps online, or just brush up on Wiki. Why? I just can't really handle playing an older version of the game, the graphics and to some extent gameplay are just far inferior. Not to say D1 and D2 are bad, nay, they are AMAZING games, but I just don't find going back worth it, and like someone else said, even less so in a game that is built less for story and more for leaderboards and competitive play.

I have the same issue with the Elder Scrolls series, I LOVED the older games, but every time a new one comes out, its gut-wrenching to me to even think about going back to play the older heaps of 90's graphics.
    Your face when the Scoundrel is Gallagher.

D1 - not so much, but don't get me wrong it was an amazing game in it's day and I spent lots of time playing it but there is very little story and compared to D2 the gameplay is not as in depth or as fun.

D2 - yes but kinda has issues playing on newer machines. Great game and good story.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Knowing how to Google "4.3 Shadow spec" doesn't automatically make you a better player.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good luck on finding D2 games u might be better off playing single player with 8 people setting, battlenet USEast might be still popular but USWest is almost dead
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

Diablo 1 was decent as long as you don't try to play the caster but don't go in expecting it to be your new favorite game. Diablo 2 is STILL good, I would say every class in 2 is pretty solid, but the small inventory size can drive you a bit nuts, and the newer patches make the final difficulty almost impossible to solo the last couple acts.
    Having to click gold only really lasts for the first couple acts because after that you get so much more from certain items that picking up the gold lying on the ground becomes pretty worthless.

Diablo 1 is darker and creeper, but its also quite a bit older. It's a very good game, but the slow walk speed and difficulty seeing loot (it is quite dark and creepy) are annoying. But the atmosphere is quite awesome.

Diablo 2 is more open and faster game play. Obviously more refined and has more diverse classes, skills, gearing options, etc. Very good game. I still play it when I can't get online.

Diablo 3. No offline play. Won't buy it.

10+ Year Old Account
    If your doing it just for the story, don't bother. I've never played D1 and D2, though I've always wanted to play at least D2. I absolutely love D3, and most of the story from the older games can be found in D3 if you look in the right places (or they straight up tell you for plot advancement). Also, it's all easily found online, which I have found myself doing to eat up some of the lore not in any of the games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just read story on wiki. D1 is realy hard and will consume too much of your time. D2 is realy boring when you arrive in Act III, and (depends on class) you will have hard time with gear.
    And resolution. It makes my eyes bleed
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoyed them both, D2 in particular.

The idea of playing through D1 (and the horrible expansion) make me want to stuff my 4506 in my head and pull the trigger. It was great at the time, not so great now.

I think whatever you need to know can be found via YouTube captures of the storylines. That being said, D2 remains a lot of fun if you're willing to put up with older game mechanics. If you're not good with playing older games (which is understandable) I'd just jump into D3.