Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    Too bad you would be super bottlenecked by your isp's lines to ever get near the potential of that. (or do countries without shitty monopolized internet have much greater speeds than 4megabits/sec [~500kb/s])

And even then you'd need an ssd to be able to write and the speeds the data would be coming in.
    True, although think about streaming 1080p from your computer to your TV or transferring your high-def videos between machines. ISP's will be a bottleneck for the foreseeable future.

15+ Year Old Account
    Is fiber still rare in the US, most get adsl via the same cables their cabletv uses or is it even via the phone line?
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

This has health issues written all over it. Yeah it's a nice concept.......not practical at all however.

"Despite the name, the band informally makes use of frequencies from about 300 gigahertz (300GHz or about 60 times higher than the current highest wi-fi standard) to about 3THz, 10 times higher again.

It is used principally for imaging in research contexts, as terahertz waves penetrate many materials as effectively as X-rays but deposit far less energy and therefore cause less damage."

Ramp up the energy for more range......ramp up the damage caused by the waves penetrating flesh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    According to this article Japanese researchers have successfully developed and tested a Wi-Fi device operating in the terahertz range and boasting transfer rates of up to 1.5Gb/s or around 375MB/s.

The technology does have a short range however, averaging only around 10m.

Thought it was interesting. Here's the link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18072618
    How did you reach the 375MB/s number?.

The article doesn't really say if they've invented some new über technique or not, but considering all 802.11 versions of wi-fi are half duplex I'm gonna guess this technique is that as well, that effectively means cutting the speed in half aka 750Mb/s. 750/8 (to convert to megabytes) = 93,75MB/s. Still very fast ofc, in fact faster than my harddrives can shuffle around data :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    How did you reach the 375MB/s number?.

The article doesn't really say if they've invented some new über technique or not, but considering all 802.11 versions of wi-fi are half duplex I'm gonna guess this technique is that as well, that effectively means cutting the speed in half aka 750Mb/s. 750/8 (to convert to megabytes) = 93,75MB/s. Still very fast ofc, in fact faster than my harddrives can shuffle around data :P
    Yeah I'm getting 1.5 gbit/s as 192 MB/s now that you mention it.