Athenes 600,00$ went to the wrong charity?

Was just poking around at some Save the Children stuff and it seems 82% of their gains go to "program" and a lot of past dodgy business practices. Former board member Michael Dorris said that Save has spent between $300-$500,000 a year of sponsorship funds pursuing a legal battle with Feed the Children, what do you think?

link to the article: http://michaelmaren.com/1996/12/save...f-child-abuse/

link to 2010 income statement,graph and spending overview: http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...ary&orgid=4438

10+ Year Old Account
    athene chose a charity to support, and he stuck with it, i dont see the problem

The issue is allot of the money people gave to the charity with the intention of it going to the children, is instead is being used for legal fees and 300,000$ CEO salaries.

Deleted
    All charities have done dubious stuff, and engage in lawsuits on a regular basis.

Deleted
    Sounds like nothing more than the average charity foundation.

Deleted
    'Dodgy' business or not, but Save the Children have done a lot of noticeable good in the world.

90% of ur donation goes to the field (Food,Shelter and Education), the 10% goes to people who work at Save the Children to pay for Travel costs etc
    Since DC entertainment doubles your donation, 180% of ur donation will actually go to the cause.
    It's been said multiple times on the stream, even if they do something that they aren't telling us about only time shall.
    Also, the thread u found about that is kinda...old, a lot of things changed by then.

Deleted
    meh, the only people who are interested in charitys are those who want to clean their conscience, as if anyone really gives a damn about those kids lol. look at kony for example, it vanished just as fast without anything happening as the tsunami stuff in japan or anything else on the world we pretend to care about that doesn´t affect us directly.
    we´re selfish and we know it

15+ Year Old Account
    That link is from 1996.

I'm not sure if their practices are the same, but that's some wildly outdated information.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebane View Post
    All charities have done dubious stuff, and engage in lawsuits on a regular basis.
    Careful when saying stupid things, people may mistake you for someone who knows what they're talking about.

There are charities who misappropriate funds, suggesting all of them are guilty of such things is just blatant ignorance.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mofi View Post
    meh, the only people who are interested in charitys are those who want to clean their conscience, as if anyone really gives a damn about those kids lol. look at kony for example, it vanished just as fast without anything happening as the tsunami stuff in japan or anything else on the world we pretend to care about that doesn´t affect us directly.
    we´re selfish and we know it
    Maybe stuff has happened and we have saved lives, and its not sensational enough to make the news. I care, but I got no funds for em sadly.

Deleted
    Athene is the charity.

Deleted
    I dont waste my money on charities. If you want to help Africa dont feed them. That way they produce more and more children who again ask for more and more food, it solves nothing. Only giving them education, learning them how to grow food, how to process it and how to build a proper agriculture and take care of themselves will really help them in the long term.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Siluz View Post
    Was just poking around at some Save the Children stuff and it seems 82% of their gains go to "program" ...

link to 2010 income statement,graph and spending overview: http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...ary&orgid=4438
    actually it's 90.7% on your link and "Program Expenses" are the charity work

Also on that site they get a 65.3 out of 70 and higher is better.. How is this making them bad guys?

---------- Post added 2012-05-19 at 07:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hatlatitla View Post
    I dont waste my money on charities. If you want to help Africa dont feed them. That way they produce more and more children who again ask for more and more food, it solves nothing. Only giving them education, learning them how to grow food, how to process it and how to build a proper agriculture and take care of themselves will really help them in the long term.
    Actually a lot of charity work is building schools and giving them farm animals and grains to plant and such

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatlatitla View Post
    I mostly agree with this. I'll certainly help via volunteerism but charities will never receive a dime from me. I figure the only way to make sure 100% of my efforts are used in a way I approve of is to be involved. I've been actively involved in various charity organizations for 16 years now, but if you are sending them money it is no different than dropping money in the hat of a bum on the street...you never know what your dollar is being used for. I'd rather spend (much) more time helping/teaching that person to be self-sufficient.

10+ Year Old Account
    That article wasn't about Athene, so there's no point in mentioning him outside causing a potential pro/anti Athene argument. And as one mentioned, it's extremely outdated.