Are melees really that gimped?

All I hear from people doing Inferno is melees are gimped. They cant solo, they cant avoid mob mechanics, cant do the damage of ranged. If these people are already in Inferno obviously they arent bads so are melee really that bad off? Even in Hell when I party I watch WDs run around and kill stuff after my Monk dies within seconds and they either win or at least escape. I have tried like 12 different builds on my Monk and no matter how hard I try mobs with shields, fire, cutters just own me. This game seems like a reverse glass cannon system for DPS. Instead of ranged being glass cannons melees are except they are just glass and ranged are like Guns of Navarone.
    Last edited by Alilei32; 2012-05-19 at 12:05 PM.

Melee classes are often slightly harder to play for most ppl. In all games they are forced to deal with issues that ranged rarely experience. Sure the game is only a few days old but you can still be a pretty poor player and be in inferno. With groups some poor players can easily slip past things they would never beat on their own.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

15+ Year Old Account
    This is pretty much what I experience on my monk. I know it will get better the more skilled I become at the class. It just has gotten boring already watching the range easily kite while DPSing, being able to solo pretty much anything I've seen so far. So far I've been kiting too, which works out ok, it's just a little depressing that using the same skill level tactic, it takes me roughly 2-3x longer to do those things. IT wouldn't be quite so bothersome if I had some sort of advantage elsewhere, but every class has so many survival/utility spells that there are very few advantages to being a melee that I've seen so far. Oh well, rant. Once I play the game more I will hopefully see some more diversity in tactics, what works and what doesn't.

Deleted
    Yeah they are kinda weak.

You are forced to stack much def as you can.and you will deal no dmg.

Problem is, you have to go to melee range to kill them, and melee on inferno is oneshot.

Also: Inb4 some guize are telting you they tank 30 blue mobs with no problems.

I wouldn't say gimped, but at quite a disadvantage. I don't need to explain why...I'm sure you know, and your post shows you get the gist of it. I've got the same issues on my monk, and I REFUSE to give up my dmg for a shield build. Daibo ALL THE WAY.

10+ Year Old Account
    I play a monk and find it completely possible to solo inferno, you just need to be smart about how you deal with the packs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I play a monk and so far have solo'd act 1 of inferno, for elite packs its basically kiting till your heals are up then fight for 10 seconds then kite till heals are up again. Have yet to step into act 2, I am trying to farm a bit of gear in act 1 first.
    Last edited by Shruikah; 2012-05-19 at 12:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    what he said ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Shruikah View Post
    I play a monk and so far have solo'd act 1 of inferno, for elite packs its basically kiting till your heals are up then fight for 10 seconds then kite till heals are up again. Have yet to step into act 2, I am trying to farm a bit of gear in act 1 first.
    But since when are melee classes the ones kiting hasnt that always been ranged? But I guess its true in this game. I one shot skeleton king and butcher on Hell mode through kiting. Damn I hated kiting in other games thats why I rolled a melee because I wanted to be in a mob's face. Guess I will have to reroll after all because I didnt make a melee to kite. I wanna tank mobs in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Alilei32 View Post
    All I hear from people doing Inferno is melees are gimped. They cant solo, they cant avoid mob mechanics, cant do the damage of ranged. If these people are already in Inferno obviously they arent bads so are melee really that bad off? Even in Hell when I party I watch WDs run around and kill stuff after my Monk dies within seconds and they either win or at least escape. I have tried like 12 different builds on my Monk and no matter how hard I try mobs with shields, fire, cutters just own me. This game seems like a reverse glass cannon system for DPS. Instead of ranged being glass cannons melees are except they are just glass and ranged are like Guns of Navarone.
    Cant speak for monk who has cheat death, tons of dodge, single target ability being aoe as a bonus, 3 sec immortality or whatnot but barb is fucked...
    I killed SK on first try(inferno ofc) but i simply cant get past the chapel defense shit when 3 big dudes get summoned. I have over 45k hp, 7.5k dps or so(tough thats not an issue and i can get it way over 10k if needed) over 60% dmg reduction +shield and about 25% dodge and they 3 shot me with their normal attacks.
    I will get past it eventually but still it doesnt change the fact that whole barb survival is based on 1 rng proc that goes of from being hit.... When i fight elites i actually want to gather as much trash as i can so i can heal myself up...
    blizz should have designed barb so he can carry one nest producing flying crap with them... Whoever was working on barbarian survival should be fired for incompetence tbh. If i played DH, by now i would probably have belial down or be close to it cause the ammount of time i waste on farming gear/money for barb gear is just retarded.

Damn I hated kiting in other games thats why I rolled a melee because I wanted to be in a mob's face. Guess I will have to reroll after all because I didnt make a melee to kite. I wanna tank mobs in the face.
    This... tough i like kiting, jsut not with melee. I rolled barb cause i asusmed that after d2 failure of melee barb who ended up buff bot they will design barb properly so he can actualyl survive. Wanted to jsut go WW inside army and survive... pity that WW is useless piece of crap and barb survival is just as bad (if not worse) than it was in d2...
    Last edited by Dexiefy; 2012-05-19 at 02:11 PM.