Adding friends without battletag/realid in D3?

I have a real life friend who wants to play Diablo with me. We're not super close (a 'friend of a friend' situation), and I don't really want to give out my battletag or realid, because I want to keep some D3-only friends separate from WoW and SC2.

It's probably a silly question with an obvious answer that I've somehow missed, but how would I go about adding him, just for D3?

I know that you can friend people who are in your party, but is there any way I can just tell him "add Daetur" or whatever (like, what information/name do I need to give, as if I were giving my battletag)?

Is this even possible to do without having to be in a party?

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I've seen it is not possible...though I may be wrong. I would also like to be able to keep my WoW/D3 worlds separate, but I'm pretty sure this isn't happening.
    "Brevity is...wit"

Yea I want this as well

It's all done at the account-level which means BattleTag or RealID. There's no friending option for characters only.

That's... kind of a pity, really. Oh well.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's this way due to naming in D3. In D3, you can name your character the same as others (since you never really encounter each other), and even have duplicates. All of my characters in D3 are called Darsithis.

Imagine trying to add Darsithis to your friend's list. Which one?

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    It's this way due to naming in D3. In D3, you can name your character the same as others (since you never really encounter each other), and even have duplicates. All of my characters in D3 are called Darsithis.

Wait, you can have multiple characters named the same thing? O.o

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    Wait, you can have multiple characters named the same thing? O.o
    Yep, they can all be the exact same name. My friend named 4 of her characters Mira.

Have the mutual friend invite you both to a game. You will be added to each others "Recently Played" list and you can communicate through it.

I don't know how often you play together, or how often the list refreshes, but if you play consistently I imagine he would continue to pop up at the top.
    Your face when the Scoundrel is Gallagher.

10+ Year Old Account

Yes and no. They could have created a Diablo 3 only Battletag, but they chose to link Battletags across all Battlenet games. Naming issues could have been worked around without involving wow and sc2. I wish they had gone that route but am not surprised they didn't.
    "Brevity is...wit"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shokter View Post
    Yes and no. They could have created a Diablo 3 only Battletag, but they chose to link Battletags across all Battlenet games. Naming issues could have been worked around without involving wow and sc2. I wish they had gone that route but am not surprised they didn't.
    Personally, I wish they'd made it separate. I don't like that most of my guild-mates and my GM can see that I'm online now. If I don't wanna be bothered, now I can't avoid them by using another server or a toon not in the guild.

Deleted
    Personally, I wish they'd made it separate. I don't like that most of my guild-mates and my GM can see that I'm online now. If I don't wanna be bothered, now I can't avoid them by using another server or a toon not in the guild.
    Why share your BattleTag in the firstplace then? Plus why not read that its the same as realid just without your realname/email?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    Why share your BattleTag in the firstplace then? Plus why not read that its the same as realid just without your realname/email?
    Because we play D3 together sometimes.

No, and it's because of Blizzards philosophy with Battle.net.

They want it to be like a sort of social network, and they've explained it as such a few times.

what the battle tag need is appear offline option