Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck123 View Post
    What staggers me is that people buy the game without knowing beforehand what they will get.
    A good number of its current playerbase were in diapers when D2 came out.

Deleted
    Diablo is a game that traditionaly you play the content in 10 hours or less, then you want to play with friends with higher dificulty and rewards (or solo if you realy like solo play), and then when you "beat" the game up to a certain point that you are tired of killing mobs you still login from time to time to have some fun with your friends just releasing the day-to-day frustrations on a video-game.

Its pointless and mindless killing fun, with the sole reward of playing something that rewards slightly better gear and have some laughs with your friends.

Some more hard-core people have played this for years and years and still enjoy Diablo 1 / Diablo 2. Some people played it for 10 hours and left it alone.

Its not for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Fumu View Post
    A good number of its current playerbase were in diapers when D2 came out.
    Yes of course but in these times where you have ytube and all the other sites to look for how something will be, the age of a player relative to d3s predecessor is quite irrellevant isn't it ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    Kael'thas and Kil'Jaeden are actually quite similar. For one, both names start with the letter K, which is short for...kuhraaaaazy. Second, both had a hard-on for the color red and blood-elf girls. Third, they both were defeated at the Sunwell. Lastly, they both hate people who make threads comparing things that are as different as bananas and grape drink.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am going to say that I am a bit shocked at how empty the game feels. I haven't played the first two games, and I signed up for the annual pass for the mount and beta access, D3 for free was just an added bonus. I figured that since I had 0$ invested in the game, as long as I found it remotely enjoyable for a time that it would be a win-win.

As somebody who has never played any of the previous games, I was shocked when the game was cleared 6 hours after launch, with the harder modes dying the next day. I mean, I hit 85 within 20 hours of Cata launch, but I still had a whole game to play, it seems like in Diablo I just have the same thing over and over again on harder difficulties that appear to just be gear treadmills. With 10 years of development, and after having tied it to WoW, I expected more of a robust game experience. Surely they had to realized that 80% of all copies of D3 are free annual pass copies and that the majority of the players would be WoW players. Just a few end game zones would have been nice, the silly teddybear level is ok I guess, but with random dungeon generation it wouldn't have been very hard to whip up a few new bosses - even on higher difficulties they don't have any new moves, it's just kite and move out of the shit for the most part.

If I had spent a dollar on the game I'd probably be pissed, instead I'll just uninstall it after I finish hell mode. I just figured there would be a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Except it's really finish the story then rinse and repeat forever. At least when you finish the story and then do online play (for the sake of argument let's pretend it's the same way in diablo) there's not just 1 map/dungeon to play.
    While your right, all the maps and dungeons start running similar tile sets just reshuffled at least they were in teh beta. I'd bet the remainder of the game is similar.

Dungeons with a certain tile set look just scrambled around. Thats why you see the same rooms all the time. Just more repitition.

While open maps are a little different, there not much different.

Sure you could play forever but we all know thats not happening these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Fumu View Post
    Because a lot of people are intimidated by challenge Diablo brings into the modern era, or are thrown off by the old school arcade feel.

Personally I couldn't imagine Diablo without higher difficulties - Nightmare is when things just get started. At the same time though I do feel that content shouldn't be limited by difficulty. The newbie who paid 60 bucks deserves to see everything the hardcore Inferno in 3 days character did. But at the same time, the hardcore guy deserves the recognition the newbie doesn't via better loot and achievements. It's balanced in that regard.
    I'd be even more baffled than people buying the game expecting more compared to people who would be people buying the game and thinking higher difficulties are a different game they are missing. lol

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    What amazes me in this thread is the amount of vein popping about diablo3 being a MMO.
    Here is the deal. Players don't get to choose what the game is. If blizzard calls it a ARPG MMO, it's a ARPG MMO... If they call it a shooter MMO, it's a shooter MMO.

Now I don't even know if blizzards calls this a MMO or not but if they do it's a MMO......
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    It sounds like a lot of people are surprised by what type of game Diablo is, and that many of the people unhappy with the game got it with their Annual Pass, or bought the game because of "hype" without knowing anything about it.

Diablo is and has always been about RNG - RNG mobs, RNG loot and finding the most challenging and best of each.

I was never really into Diablo 1 & 2...just not my cup of tea. I got D3 with my Annual Pass and played it through normal with my boyfriend (who LOVES the Diablo franchise) and have been playing it on and off in my spare time. It's fun, but it's not FUN... It's just not my kind of game. Does that mean I'm going to complain that it's a bad game? No. It's just not my optimal game.

D3 is not an "MMO". It isn't a free, open world where you can interact with hundreds of thousands of other players at a time. Think of its grouping system as more like Halo 3... You find a public game or group up with a few friends and then tackle the game content that way...OR, you play single player, never interacting with other "real people". Your choice.

There is no "end game".

You aren't going to join a guild and "raid" bosses for set gear drops every week.

If you don't like grinding or repeating content over and over for the thrill of "RNG treasure seeking", then you won't like the game. Believe it or not, there are millions of people out there that do like this kind of game.

The game's story is respectable, but the re-play value has nothing to do with the storyline.

If you find it boring, then find another game that you enjoy and play it. Not every game that Blizzard makes will be tailor-made to your preferences. Just because others enjoy this kind of game and you don't doesn't make it "gay" or "lame" or "bad".

And no, Blizzard isn't going to change the game, make it more "fun", "easier" or "different" because you don't like it. Diablo is not WOW and will never be WOW.
    Last edited by Lalicat; 2012-05-21 at 04:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    What amazes me in this thread is the amount of vein popping about diablo3 being a MMO.
    Here is the deal. Players don't get to choose what the game is. If blizzard calls it a ARPG MMO, it's a ARPG MMO... If they call it a shooter MMO, it's a shooter MMO.

Now I don't even know if blizzards calls this a MMO or not but if they do it's a MMO......
    Sorry, but words have meaning and those meanings dont change at Blizzards will.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Shaemus View Post
    I am going to say that I am a bit shocked at how empty the game feels. I haven't played the first two games, and I signed up for the annual pass for the mount and beta access, D3 for free was just an added bonus. I figured that since I had 0$ invested in the game, as long as I found it remotely enjoyable for a time that it would be a win-win.

As somebody who has never played any of the previous games, I was shocked when the game was cleared 6 hours after launch, with the harder modes dying the next day. I mean, I hit 85 within 20 hours of Cata launch, but I still had a whole game to play, it seems like in Diablo I just have the same thing over and over again on harder difficulties that appear to just be gear treadmills. With 10 years of development, and after having tied it to WoW, I expected more of a robust game experience. Surely they had to realized that 80% of all copies of D3 are free annual pass copies and that the majority of the players would be WoW players. Just a few end game zones would have been nice, the silly teddybear level is ok I guess, but with random dungeon generation it wouldn't have been very hard to whip up a few new bosses - even on higher difficulties they don't have any new moves, it's just kite and move out of the shit for the most part.

If I had spent a dollar on the game I'd probably be pissed, instead I'll just uninstall it after I finish hell mode. I just figured there would be a bit more.

I get you are a WoW player and not a Diablo player, but why complain about it then. You haven't even completed hell yet and when you do you are going to quit. That's like saying you dinged 85, ran a few normal dungeons and then decided you didn't like the game. Hell is very hard and Inferno is just ridiculous, unles you skip all the champion packs like the people who beat the game did.

Bosses in Inferno aren't even as hard as the champion packs. You can spend hours trying to beat them if you get a bad setup.

Also, Blizz never "tied it to wow". The AP was a bonus for being a loyal subscriber, it wasn't a way to tie D3 to WoW.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Sorry, but words have meaning and those meanings dont change at Blizzards will.
    MMO = massivly multiplayer online.
    Is diablo is online? Yes.
    Is diablo a multiplayer game? Yes.
    Is there a lot of people playing diablo? Yes.

So what is the problem?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    MMO = massivly multiplayer online.
    Is diablo is online? Yes.
    Is diablo a multiplayer game? Yes.
    Is there a lot of people playing diablo? Yes.

So what is the problem?
    The term tends to refere to playing with massive amounts of people in the same environment, not limited to three other optional players. Your definition could fit just about any multiplayer game.

And the point I was making is not that Diablo III is not an MMO, but that Blizzard saying it is an MMO does not make it one anymore then them saying its a BLT makes it my lunch.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    We have had way too many threads about this. Yes, this is what Diablo is. Research is always a must when spending money, even on videogames. =]