Deleted

New computer slowish

Just built my first pc and its running games fine. Been playing skyrim with hd textures on full setting no problem and dc universe has been great.
    Only thing is stuff takes a while to load up, when i click on firefox it takes like 5 seconds sometimes, same with stuff like asus suite and catalyst control center?

CPU: Intel i5 3450
    Graphics Card: AMD Sapphire 6870
    Mobo: P8H61-MX USB3
    RAM: Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B 8GB 1600Mhz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory Module Kit
    PSU: Corsair CMPSU-600CXV2UK Builder Series 600W
    Hard Drive: Seagate 500GB 3.5 inch 7200rpm 16MB Cache SATA 3 6MB/S Hard Drive

Any ideas?

10+ Year Old Account
    get a SSD, your HDD is what is leading to the slow load times

a SSD is by far the best performance upgrade you can by atm, and they are coming down in price

Beware of anyone that says to throw cash at software problems. Start with the free stuff first. Run a virus scan after downloading its file updates. run msconfig and go to the startup tab and make sure too much stuff is not loading at startup. Things like adobe etc, are not necessary, but don't change it unless you have tons of entries. Check your antivirus settings as well and make sure they are not overly strict and causing undue delays.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lokii View Post
    Beware of anyone that says to throw cash at software problems. Start with the free stuff first. Run a virus scan after downloading its file updates. run msconfig and go to the startup tab and make sure too much stuff is not loading at startup. Things like adobe etc, are not necessary, but don't change it unless you have tons of entries. Check your antivirus settings as well and make sure they are not overly strict and causing undue delays.
    or, we can realize that those are pretty normal load times coming off of a non cached HDD, and the only way around it is to add in a SSD as a primary drive, or as a caching drive

if you need to check on your other programs, use ninite.com to create an essentials installer/updater

include all versions of adobe flash, java, shockwave, and .NET and these need to be kept up to date at all times

As Cyanotical pointed get an ssd. OCZ vertex 4 (or any other good sata 3 6.0Gbps ssd with comparable specs (mushkin?)). No need to run scans since we'll assume you installed a fresh copy of windows and it's clean.
    I'm 100% sure u just need an ssd and then u can keep that seagate as a backup drive.

You'll definitely see the speed increase in loading.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    get a SSD, your HDD is what is leading to the slow load times

a SSD is by far the best performance upgrade you can by atm, and they are coming down in price
    This. I picked up an OCZ Vertex 3 120GB for $49.99 a few weeks ago. Best upgrade for the money ever.

Quote Originally Posted by c0rnel View Post
    As Cyanotical pointed get an ssd. OCZ vertex 4 (or any other good sata 3 6.0Gbps ssd with comparable specs (mushkin?)). No need to run scans since we'll assume you installed a fresh copy of windows and it's clean.
    I'm 100% sure u just need an ssd and then u can keep that seagate as a backup drive.

You'll definitely see the speed increase in loading.
    This. After installing said SSD, my computer boots in ~25 seconds and automatically launches all applications of the SSD (because it can) within 1 second of being in windows.