Deleted

Partition Magic + Win7 a no go...any alternatives?

Oke, as the title says, Partition Magic doesn't work for me on Windows 7. Tried several compatibility modes but it just wont start

What im trying to do here is to make my C partition 50gb larger. Always worked fine on older OS's with partition magic.
    Also tried the diskmanager thingie of Windows 7, also no success. The idea was to remove the 50gb from my D partition (C+D are on disk of course) and make the C one a bit bigger.

Any one got any good suggestions to solve this problem? Would be very thankfull

Deleted
    Eh use the disk management tools in Windows 7...

run "computer management" then select Disk Management.

EDIT: lol didnt see that there. Why does the built in thinng not work?
    Last edited by mmoc1d03ea7d9d; 2012-05-20 at 12:37 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by foil View Post
    Eh use the disk management tools in Windows 7...

run "computer management" then select Disk Management.

EDIT: lol didnt see that there. Why does the built in thinng not work?
    http://www.ivanverboom.nl/naamloos.jpg
    Link to the situation on diskmananger. cant post the picture in this thread for some reason.

i can make the D partition smaller, but for some reason i can't move that free space to the C partition. it ends up after the D partition. so can only put it back to D or create a new partition from it, what i dont want ofcourse :P

Partition magic always worked perfect, always solved this problem, but since its not working on win7 for me, i donnow how to solve this...
    Last edited by mmoce815deeade; 2012-05-20 at 02:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You usually cant change the C partition while ON it. You likely need to make a boot cd (or flash drive), boot off that, THEN change it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, you definitively need a boot disc to change your C: in this case. And a simple partitioning tool won't work either, because the data at the start of D: needs to be moved.
    My suggestion would be Acronis True Image. Costs about 25€ in the shop and comes with a boot cd.

(Hint: As you don't need to install Acronis, you could just "get a copy" of the disc)
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    You usually cant change the C partition while ON it. You likely need to make a boot cd (or flash drive), boot off that, THEN change it.
    Mhm, now you mention it, when i used partition magic idd always did it before going into windows (you choose what to change, then it rebooted and aplied the changes before windows).

Also gonna check out that minitool partition wizard. tnx

---------- Post added 2012-05-20 at 12:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dreamlore View Post
    I've been using MiniTool Partition Wizard - works like a charm.
    Downloaded that free version and YES!!! This is exactly what i ment with partition magic! Works awsome! tnx
    Last edited by mmoce815deeade; 2012-05-20 at 10:25 AM.

as we know the Norton purchase the Partition Magic from PowerQuest, then they did not upgrade it anymore, therefore it could not work on Win 7, however there are a lot of magic alternatives which is powerful than Partition Magic, such as Partition Assistant, Disk Director, GParted and etc. All of them could work well on Windows 7. You could find them from CNET.Hope it could help you and others