Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    As you said LFR is for noobs, and it attracts loads of lowlife motherfuckers whose only interrest in life is looking at recount and flaming anyone under them :P i understand your disapointment and anger, sadly though.... theres nothing to do about it.
    |Asus Sabertooth 990FX|AMD Phenom II 1090T 4.2Ghz x6|XFX R7970 Black Edition|Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz 8gb|Corsair H60 Liquid Cooling|

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Just tell him to stop skipping steps in the future, and he won't have any problem keeping his spot in a raid group.
    An experienced, reasonably skilled player in WoW can skip steps.

A new player cannot - big difference.

And very important to keep in mind when you introduce someone to WoW.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ayashi View Post
    Okay, first things first: bottom of the recount meter is indeed useless. He's under the tank(s) when that's should just never be possible even if it's his first time touching said character (which it's apparently not).
    Baseline:
    LFR is NOT a group of friend. It's NOT the better environment to learn playing the game (or his/hers class). That would be a GUILD.
    People in LFR are NOT there to carry you or even care for you. Basically LFR is a number of single players it is not a group activity. The other people in LFR are NOT there to do your work too.

If you care for you step-son "wow future", then tell him that like in every single other activity in the world he has to put a token amount of work towards it. Which means learn his class, read up the enconters beforehand and the like.
    Heck, you could even try HELPING HIM yourself. I know, i know, crazy idea, but you should try it someday...
    Did you read the whole post? or just the bottom line? It says he was helping him gear up. A few days doing heroics allows anyone to have an average grasp of their class.
    Btw, it's pretty easy that a fresh 372 will be bottom of the recount... have you never ran LFR with tanks that dish out 20k dps? fresh 372 is usually 14k dps, specially if it's their first class to 85. And 14k dps is pretty acceptable. And it will land you bottom place of the recount.
    Last edited by mmoca165b6ca3d; 2012-05-20 at 11:55 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jotabe View Post
    While that's true, you'll have to agree with me that it's an idiot's call to blame a wipe on the lowest dps members, when you don't have full raid group, missing 2 dps and 2 healers.
    It requires a particular kind of stupidity to pull without full group when you realize your total dps isn't all that high.
    Actually, I'd be much more worried about the shortage of healers (2/6 short) than the lack of dps (2/17 short) in that situation.

Deleted
    20k tanks are the exception. That happens wheneven a guild MT queues for ... whatever reason. Like once in a blue moon. Or when a blood DK forgets to switch into his tank gear lol

Anyway back to subject, running a few donjons to get i372 is vastly different from teaching him anything other than being carried.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikkr View Post
    my missus got kicked from LFR on her warlock the other day. she was roughly in the middle of the DPS but the responce when i asked wtf was she kicked for was "Shes useing the wrong type of spells she is a newb". shes not the best of wow players but she was above half the other dps in the meters. Wasnt shocked to see that the eliteist douche who kicked her was another warlock who was only slightly above her in dps useing what he considered to be the 'correct' spells. sadly i was unable to kick that one as the fight had started at that point
    i simply had to respond.. i bet 50 dollars she wasnt using "the wrong" spells.. since he was a warlock himself.. it sounds like he was trying to eliminate competition and copped out using that poor excuse. if she was doing average dps with average gear.. and he was only slightly higher then her.. yah pure jack-assery for kicking her.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ayashi View Post
    20k tanks are the exception. That happens wheneven a guild MT queues for ... whatever reason. Like once in a blue moon. Or when a blood DK forgets to switch into his tank gear lol

Anyway back to subject, running a few donjons to get i372 is vastly different from teaching him anything other than being carried.
    I'm a very casual tank (pally, not dk)... iirc my ilvl is around 380, and i deal 12k dps. Do you think that most tanks will not be able to break 14k? All the tanks i've run with in LFR have done more than 14k dps. ALL of them.
    For this, i would like to tell the OP to make sure the kid breaks 14k in the new heroics before joining LFR. If he was already over 14k, great.

Btw, it's stated that they spent a few days gearing up. Not that they ran a few ... donjons? whatever that is. A few days. It's really not that difficult getting down your rotation in a few days.

---------- Post added 2012-05-20 at 12:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Taiphon View Post
    Actually, I'd be much more worried about the shortage of healers (2/6 short) than the lack of dps (2/17 short) in that situation.
    Indeed. If you wipe with 4 healers, you know what the problem was. It's stupid to blame the dps for the wipe.
    Last edited by mmoca165b6ca3d; 2012-05-20 at 12:03 PM.

Deleted
    MMOs never have been a great place for children. Internet trolling should have been no suprise for you.

I sympathize with what happened to you and your son. However, things like LFR which are made for streamlining gameplay with large groups of players MUST have standards. Was your son's low dps necessarily the cause of the wipe? No. But that doesn't mean he belongs in LFR. Also, you can't realistically expect a group of 25 total strangers to listen to your story of how your son is learning the fights and trying his hardest. People can really only be kicked based on easy, quick information. LFR is not comprised of brilliant, organized people. It's comprised of random people from around the world, some of which don't speak English.

TLDR: Sorry for what happened, but LFR doesn't yet sound like the right place for your son.
    -Many thanks to Cocoacross for this amazing signature!-

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithrildar View Post
    MMOs never have been a great place for children. Internet trolling should have been no suprise for you.
    Internet is actually a loving and caring place compared to schools and high-schools. Trolls can't bruise you or steal from you.

Deleted
    Indeed. If you wipe with 4 healers, you know what the problem was. It's stupid to blame the dps for the wipe.
    But it's not stupid to say that someone at the bottom of the meters is a problem you don't want. The OP never says that they blamed him for the wipe, they said they called him useless for being at the bottom of meters, and that's entirely accurate. If your tank doesn't keep aggro or your healer doesn't keep the tank alive, you'd replace them, just like if the dps can't dps you'd replace them.

As stupidly easy as LFR is, you should still do your job - if you're not capable of doing that, spend the day or two of spamming heroics that it would take to gear up and the minutes it would take to learn the basics of your rotation, since I refuse to believe gear is responsible for numbers that low.

Deleted
    Btw, it's stated that they spent a few days gearing up. Not that they ran a few ... donjons? whatever that is. A few days. It's really not that difficult getting down your rotation in a few days.
    That's what I referred to previously:

An experienced, reasonably skilled player can get ready for LFR in 1-2 days, and for normal raids in a week after dinging: Buy all the BoE's, get the 378 quest rewards from dungeons, and spend a few VP and some JP to get the rest. If you don't know the tactics because you've been on a break, research them - you know where to look.

But a new player needs practice and experience, much more than gear. That takes time.

The problem is that in LFR after a wipe people check recount instead of think what happend , dont worry you cant change that :/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh View Post
    But it's not stupid to say that someone at the bottom of the meters is a problem you don't want. The OP never says that they blamed him for the wipe, they said they called him useless for being at the bottom of meters, and that's entirely accurate. If your tank doesn't keep aggro or your healer doesn't keep the tank alive, you'd replace them, just like if the dps can't dps you'd replace them.
    That means that you think a dps job is not to be bottom of the meters. Hmmm and here i thought a dps job was to deal damage. Now, get ready for a news flash: there will always be someone at the bottom of the recount! So, according to your standards, there is always a useless dps in every group.
    Is this novel standard only for LFR? or can we use it too for 5mans?
    Should we also kick the healer who is lowest in the hps meter? And the tank that holds aggro less time?

As for not blaming him... they called him useless and kicked him. Do you also have new standards for what "being blamed" requires?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh View Post
    As stupidly easy as LFR is, you should still do your job - if you're not capable of doing that, spend the day or two of spamming heroics that it would take to gear up and the minutes it would take to learn the basics of your rotation, since I refuse to believe gear is responsible for numbers that low.
    Ah, you must be a psychic, because you know what was the dps he dealt, despite the OP never says how much it is. Also, the OP said they spent a few days gearing up, and gearing up to 372 includes spamming heroics, in my book. So why do you say they didn't do that?

He tried the cheat the system and he got caught out. It's that simple. He's lucky he didn't get kicked after the first boss.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's just an angry mob looking for someone to blame and thus feel better about themselves. I was never once vote-kicked during WotLK once the feature came out (and I ran LOTS of dungeons). First time I ever got a vote-kick was in the beginning of Cata, not for anything I did but because my DPS was on the low-side (I'd always been a healer and just screwing around as DPS for something different to do).

People are just idiots, sometimes I wish they'd remove Recount's numbers. Yeah, it does help you figure out who screwed up (looking at deaths) or who's not pulling their weight. For example, had I seen your step-son's DPS be 90% melee with no poisons on, then I would have clicked yes, and been glad to have Recount for that reason. If you're just looking at the number and not the breakdown.. You're abusing the tool, IMO. =/

Don't keep trying if you guys are just having fun, it's not likely to ever happen again unless he really is being a herper.

Edit: Also, I've cheesed my ilevel with every single 85 I've made after LFR came out and have NEVER gotten kicked or put out bad numbers. You can cheese it and still be middle of the pack if you're not in a coma, LFR isn't difficult.
    "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" - George Carlin

Deleted
    dude all kids is hated upon and usually because they suck. I started playing wow when i was like 10 years old and i was pure shit at the game, ppl hated on me and kicked me and called me a noob, at the time it wasn't that fun but now i realise after 6 years of playing wow that i actually was pure shit and iam lucky to even clear the normal dungeons... I guess your kid was rly bad at the game and barley did any dmg and it's not a surprise to see him kicked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Excellent View Post
    Isn't LFR made for noobs to get a look at some easymodes of Dragon Soul? Maybe get some gear upgrades to improve your dps? I would love to hear interested minds weigh in.
    It is, but seeing as quite an insane number of players leach their way through doing fuck all and taking everything they can (possibly only to vendor), I just think an equal number of players are feed up with this sort of retardedness and thought your kid was that type of player.

Best thing you could do would be to organise a 10man normal Ds with him and teach him the fights, cause he really don't learn anything in LFR other then ignoring mechanics, and the difficulty between LFR n' normal isn't that huge.

You absolutely can start raiding LFR as soon as you qualify, and successfully carrying your weight, if you're somewhat experienced. For a new player, it would probably be worthwhile to spend some extra time in heroics gearing up and practicing, but not strictly necessary.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    And just from my point of view: don't ever. join. LFR. in incomplete pve gear. Have patience to farm a few more hcs or something. Having pvp gear on does show that you don't know your class yet (people see he dung a few days ago and does not have enough items for pve). And after having sufficient pve gear, stay on dummy for a couple of minutes to test your rotation.
    I disagree. From my own experience, you can perform above the threshold (threshold being 15k+ dps on Ultrax) even with full pvp 377 gear. I did that myself on DK, lock and enh shammy the same day I dinged 85. It's just a matter of getting to know your class and rotation. Works only for DPS though.

To OP: people have already mentioned, find a casual, friendly guild and join them with your step-son. You could look for a guild with more mature players. For example, half of the people in my guild are 35 years of age and above, the other half are their children. Nice and relaxed atmosphere, and most importantly, no abuse or drama.