10+ Year Old Account

Need hell tips for Wizard.

Hi everyone.

Just asking for a few tips for hell, playing as a Wizard.

I am currently in the middle of Act 2 (Vault of the Assassin), and i am lvl 57. I have tremendous difficulty against mobs in general, and more specifically every rare and elite mob(s).

My setup is left clik magic missile with charged blast, right click arcan orb with oblitaration. 1 is diamond skin with crystal shell, 2 is teleport with wormhole, three is frost nova with cold snap, and 4 is hydra with venom. My passives are Glass canon, astral presence and temporal flux. I also have the templar speced full heal/stun with me.

I cannot manage to to packs without dying. To be more specific, i have to use every cd on every little mob arriving, and cannot do rares or elites without dying at least once (exept when the sufixes aren't total bullshit, then i have to kite them around the map with the slow from temporal flux and hydras).

I am fairly well geared, 22k hp, 8k dps, gems are all flawless square. Random mobs hit me for 4 to 8k, so 3 to 5 hits and i'm gone, and suffixes like fast, grenadier, shield, vortex, teleport kill me in one go. I use ice nova, teleport, diamond skin and runic health potion on cd, but when they are down it's over.

Could someone that managed hell till Diablo as a SOLO wizard help me out? I'm sick and tired of dying repeatedly throught deongons to rares and elites, and sometimes bullshit frogs/spiders that go 50 times faster than i can kite.

Thanks in advance for your imput and help, have a great day.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used the Ray of Frost -Black Ice as single-target and Disintegrate as DMG spells throught all of Hell, together with AP Generating Skills.
    Had no real trouble clearing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Could you elaborate your setup ? Having both left and right click AP consuming spells seems hard to keep up. And how did you manage fast/teleporting/vortex elites?

Quote Originally Posted by Torian kel View Post
    Could you elaborate your setup ? Having both left and right click AP consuming spells seems hard to keep up. And how did you manage fast/teleporting/vortex elites?
    I am too a wizard in act 2 hell and I have not much difficulties, sure it can happen that I die 2 times on a yellow rare mob with a nasty combination, but thats not really such a bad thing, is it?
    I am level 55, I have about 22k life and 6k+ damage
    this is my setup
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...QSR!ZYU!aZaYZa

I use it for singleplayer and multiplayer, but I made the experience that singleplay is much easier, especially against rare mobs/elites.
    in singplayer I can usually nuke pretty much everything away in a short time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the answer, I can always try, still better than dying every time a rare catches up with me

with a hydra out and diamond skin and teleport, you should be able to pretty much kite everything to death. we have a very smiliar setup. I really like the venom hydra, too. it does loads of damage against non moving targets. but dont forget the arcane hydra snares mobs (with temporal flux, which we both have), so I changed it to arcane, that does also loads of damage.

apart from that, I really adore disintegrate, pretty much every wizard I see in a multi games uses is, its really ovepowered at the moment, the AE damage is massive, and with chaoes nexus it does even more aoe damage but actually even decent single target damage, I even replaced ray of frost after I got the chaos necus rune, its pretty much the same damage, you just have to get to middle range.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem i have with desintagrate is when ennemys come in melee range (especially rares and elites), i can just hit one, sometimes two, and do average damage, but with arcan orb, with oblitaration, i'm sure i'tll hit in a 10 yard zone, and do 12 to 25k damage, plus i can shift launch it while kiting, hiting ennemys outside of screen. But i'll have to try with chaos nexus, when i tried it it didn't seem to do anything, and prefered volatility over it, kill one mob, the rest is history.

Thanks for the hydra tip tho, gonna change it asap

Edit : Ok tryed it out, desintagrate with chaos rune is nice you where right, now I just don't know what to use as signature spell : d
    Last edited by Torian kel; 2012-05-20 at 12:28 PM.

The problem i have with desintagrate is when ennemys come in melee range (especially rares and elites), i can just hit one, sometimes two, and do average damage, but with arcan orb, with oblitaration, i'm sure i'tll hit in a 10 yard zone, and do 12 to 25k damage, plus i can shift launch it while kiting, hiting ennemys outside of screen. But i'll have to try with chaos nexus, when i tried it it didn't seem to do anything, and prefered volatility over it, kill one mob, the rest is history.

Thanks for the hydra tip tho, gonna change it asap

Edit : Ok tryed it out, desintagrate with chaos rune is nice you where right, now I just don't know what to use as signature spell : d
    the signature spells are pretty weak, and in solo play you wont use it much since you wont go out of mana because you'll kite a lot. in multiplayer electrocute is a decent choice, it will do some damage when you're OoM.

but I think about replacing it with something for solo play. slow time would surely be not bad.

This is the build I used in hell. http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...lOP!afd!baaZYY
    mirror mages will get aggro from the mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you. Will give it a try as well

Deleted
    I use a similar build to yours but don't use teleport at the moment, I'm using mirror images with the rune to make 5 of them. I find they distract mobs quite a lot which enables me to move away just as much as teleport would - and do damage as well, although they don't last long, it's usually long enough for me to move away, get a few arcane blasts off and for diamond skin to come off cooldown. I'm mostly doing dual play with a barb but I was soloing act 2 of Hell this morning without massive massive difficulties.

Deleted
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...YOj!YfU!bcaZYb - Very rarely die, if i do, it's to being vortexed in to molten.

It requires a lot of stutter step casting, but that's part of being a wizard. USE FORCE ARMOUR.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...XOm!aYf!bbaabZ
    this is what i use for multiplayer might change it for single player

i find teleport rather useless maybe it can be good with the decoy rune but i have more uses of other skills

Deleted
    Rares/champions will be a problem no matter what setup you are using.

eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#acYXRd!aUT!cacaaa

My ultimate kiting build. It has really weak offensive potential, but it works against the strongest combos including Vortex or Mortar, which tend to be on every other elite pack for me. I do not use Energy Armor because melee damage is either negligible or brutal, so you either bruteforce your way through it or kite anyway. I do not use Teleport because it is fairly weak in comparison to other abilities in the build.

My other builds tend to change extremely frequently, depending on current location. I switch to full offense vs weak elites and mostly trashy areas.
    Last edited by mmocb60a3b6b2e; 2012-05-20 at 04:57 PM.

I am fairly well geared, 22k hp
    I think this statement reveals some of your problem.

We focus quite a bit too much on the "build" - fact is no matter what build you use, you'll have survivability problems in hell and inferno. I think how we gear is a bigger contributor to this problem, since for the most part people haven't figured out which stats are important yet.

There's been a lot of debate about stacking vitality versus defensive stats. Basically, do I get a lot of health or a lot of defense? Thing is, point for point vitality gives you far more EH than any other stat. However, beyond a certain point adding more vit is useless because you can't actually ever self-heal a 25k health globe at level 57.

Where do you draw the line?

I'd say once you have enough health that drinking a potion is only worth 50% of the health globe, you should start investing in defensive stats other than health. Armor and resists only net you about half as much EH (per budget) compared to vit, but those armor and resists make your self healing and potions far more meaningful.

You don't have to go to the extreme and make a glass cannon build with force armor, I'm just suggesting that you might have too much health. Get some more armor, physi resist, health on hit...

10+ Year Old Account
    This is Mine http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...dXP!YXU!bZaaaZ

How it works for me is basically: Start ->cooldowns+NUKE ->Kite, Kite, Kite, Kite, Kite->cooldowns ready->nuke -> Kite, kite , kite, kite

Rinse and repeat.

By the way, I have discovered that popping Mirror Image breaks Jailer's jail. Can be pretty useful in a tight situation.

10+ Year Old Account
    a good way is to start and make sure you don't have the glass cannon passive skill the 3 i roll with are blur illusionist and galvanizing ward,abilities are spectral blades(deep cuts) disintegrate(volatility) diamond skin(enduring skin) energy armor(energy tap) mirror image(mocking demise) and venom hydra this thing owns everything.

I think your issue is damage or rather lack there of.

I have 9,080 damage right now at 57. I use magic weapon (force) and familiar (sparkflint) and it leaps to 12,892. That's a pretty large increase. I have less than 18k health but that's enough to breeze through the part of act II, which I did last night. I've 1288 Int and 412 weapon damage on my 2hander.

I use archon (with time slow) to cut down elite packs with ease. Sometimes I have to scramble for position if there's bad stuff on the ground, but when they reach me, I hit the aoe attack with it and move back. I use the diamond skin (crystal shell) right before I go into archon. I have been trying out arcane orb (with the celestial orb) though I'll admit obliterate might be better. I am truthfully unsure on which to use, but I like the ability to move and kite if need be. I use lightening hydra in my last slot but also will switch in energy armor if need be (for the awesome choice there that reduces your health loss to a limit--bizarre interaction with diamond shield and replenish life...the less life you have the better?)

I've been running glass cannon, temporal flux, and blur, though I don't know if I need blur or not.

If you sub out two spells you don't need for passive buffs you have to refresh every 5 minutes your dps will soar! That's the biggest easiest thing to help you solo better. It really has become a breeze with so much damage admittedly I haven't finished act 2 on hell yet.

Edit, I don't like the sig spells too much since I usually am running away for my life while my arcane power comes back. I've been using the enchanter lately but liked the templar in the past. Not sure which one is better.
    Last edited by Hanyuu; 2012-05-20 at 09:35 PM.