View Poll Results: Which date seems realistic for release?

Voters
2187. This poll is closed
  • August 28

260 11.89%
  • September 4

211 9.65%
  • September 11

213 9.74%
  • September 18

380 17.38%
  • September 25

449 20.53%
  • OCTOBER 2

674 30.82%
Page 41 of 81 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    .. Moderators are going to have fun with that one... I'm sure he's going get lots of reports. :P
    Fanboy (Fanboi):
    1. A term used towards someone when a person disagrees with the said someone on a subject, person, place, thing, company, or product line and they are not smart enough to debate their counterpoints or facts, so they resort to childish name calling in hopes of shaming others into silence and thus them winning through dominance.* 2. A term used as a taunt/peer pressure technique to shape popular opinion through shame and humiliation.

10+ Year Old Account
    2 weeks after the cinematic at least. soooooo...

Aug 16+ 14 = Thursday Aug 30

Round to nearest tuesday,

Tuesday Sept 4

Speculation, I don't believe it will drop on September 11th. It would be a very poor choice if it did. But I also believe it will drop before Brewfest so they can get the Panda brewers in on the holiday.

So If testing goes extremely smoothly and picks up the pace a little more I would guess, Sept 4th.

But more realistically Sept 18th.

Deleted
    Blizzard wont release it on the 18th or 25th of sept or the 2nd of oct, they want everyone to enjoy brewfest meaning they have to release it with enough time for most people to get to 90 so 4/11th of sept makes sense they have data mined the items and currently there set to 90 but they could change them pretty easily i mean with no release date this week we could be seeing a oct 9th release being more and more realistic which sucks :P

If you try to guesstimate the launch date and post on mmo-c... you are gonna have a bad time.

Quote Originally Posted by smegdawg View Post
    Speculation, I don't believe it will drop on September 11th. It would be a very poor choice if it did.
    Let's not forget that only US players care about that date, that those events were more than a decade ago, and that they released Cataclysm on December 7th, the memorial date of Pear Harbor.

There are also two other major releases coming out on September 11th-- the new Madden game, and a new Tekken game. I really, really would not count September 11th out as a release date.

Deleted
    MoP release date is 09.18.2012.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    Let's not forget that only US players care about that date, that those events were more than a decade ago, and that they released Cataclysm on December 7th, the memorial date of Pear Harbor.

There are also two other major releases coming out on September 11th-- the new Madden game, and a new Tekken game. I really, really would not count September 11th out as a release date.
    Few care in the US at this point though it won't stop certain networks for having 24 hour 9/11 marathons. Anyway, yeah there's a lot of things coming out on the 11th as there has been over the last decade..

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually Madden is coming Aug 28th... New EA Sports NHL 13 is coming Sept 11th... But the point still stands true Just wanted to let you know in a friendly way before a troll rips you a new one over that slip up :P

regardless.. EA and Namco are both releasing big titles on 9/11, so yea. not a big deal to release a game on 9/11.
    Fanboy (Fanboi):
    1. A term used towards someone when a person disagrees with the said someone on a subject, person, place, thing, company, or product line and they are not smart enough to debate their counterpoints or facts, so they resort to childish name calling in hopes of shaming others into silence and thus them winning through dominance.* 2. A term used as a taunt/peer pressure technique to shape popular opinion through shame and humiliation.

10+ Year Old Account

More than 90 countries lost citizens in the attacks on the World Trade Center. You're right is was more then a decade ago, by 1 whole year making for a total of 11 years.

The Date of Pearl Harbor was indeed Dec 7th, 1941. Cata launched on its Pearl Harbor's 69th aniversary. There comes a time when you can't not do something on a day because in the past something terrible happened on that same day.

Madden and Tekken are not the juggernauts that WoW is and will not be "harrassed" for releasing it on that day.

IMO Blizzard will not take the risk of releasing it that day, even if there is the slightest chance that it would create bad press.

"Hello, friend! You're some kind of gorgeous, aren't you? I bet you can't keep the men off of you! Join me! You and I are going to be good friends!"
    The stupid waves that this caused should be proof enough. I have no problem with it being released on Sept 11th(or with Ji-Firepaw's orgininal dialog), I just don't see Blizzard releasing it that day.

MOP should have been out about 2 months ago, most of the people from my guild have left the game due to lack of content, leaving me marooned on a dead server with a locked in subscription and no one to play with except randoms.

Here's hoping it comes out before the end of August, otherwise I'm not sure I will have any interest left in it.

Did they not just announce last week that very soon the PTR would be getting the system changes for testing?

Really, I could care less when the game releases. As far as I'm concerned, a patch that contains the new talents and glyphs is enough to keep me satisfied for a while.

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Direshadow View Post
    Really, I could care less when the game releases. As far as I'm concerned, a patch that contains the new talents and glyphs is enough to keep me satisfied for a while.
    Totally agree with this.

the memorial date of Pear Harbor.
    Mmm - Pear Harbor!

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheous View Post
    Because having a subscription fee makes games good. amirite?
    Because a game that is buy to play isn't competition for a game that has a subscription. As in not everyone is a GW2 fanboy and many people will play both GW2 and Wow at the same time.

---------- Post added 2012-07-11 at 05:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MrSerious View Post
    and how long have WoW players been playing with the current content? 8 months now at $15 a month ($120), and when the next expansion comes out you have to pay for that as well ($40). I found most expansions in WoW during cata have been pretty subpar, rehashed content.

So I don't mind paying for extra content, just sick of paying for weak content.
    The only thing rehashed about Cata is this moronic complaint.

---------- Post added 2012-07-11 at 05:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dr-pills View Post
    i think they are trying to launch it asap since GW2 coming and it's going to be huge fight for players between MoP and GW2, so i hope it's released in august
    The only fight will be on GW2's end. Wow will keep going as usual like it has been for the past seven years whether you like it or not.

---------- Post added 2012-07-11 at 05:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by smegdawg View Post
    2 weeks after the cinematic at least. soooooo...

Aug 16+ 14 = Thursday Aug 30

Round to nearest tuesday,

Tuesday Sept 4

Speculation, I don't believe it will drop on September 11th. It would be a very poor choice if it did. But I also believe it will drop before Brewfest so they can get the Panda brewers in on the holiday.

So If testing goes extremely smoothly and picks up the pace a little more I would guess, Sept 4th.

But more realistically Sept 18th.
    Even the people who were directly affected by 9/11 (as in losing a loved one or nearly dying themselves) have moved on. Movies, games and music have been released on this date ever since without fail because life goes on.
    Last edited by xanzul; 2012-07-12 at 12:57 AM.

Blackwing Heroine BlackwingHecate's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    I just laid out my assumptions and the reasons for using that data in the way I did. I also described the limitations of using that sample. If you have any real criticisms of it, I'd like to hear them. So far, you've just given generic rebuttals. You never directly addressed how the Xfire sample is not representative of the general population in the way I described.
    You said that it was representivite of the 'game-savvy crowd'. One, that's not the general population. 2, its NOT representitive of the 'game savvy' crowd, it's representitive of the 'game savvy crowd who use Xfire', which is even less important that the general 'game savvy crowd'. Savvy?
    Nostalgia is the hollow remnants of memories long gone.

-Kaito Kumon (Kamen Rider Baron)

My Birthday is on October 2nd. As awesome as that would be to get MoP as a birthday present, I really hope its sooner lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Urufu View Post
    You said that it was representivite of the 'game-savvy crowd'. One, that's not the general population. 2, its NOT representitive of the 'game savvy' crowd, it's representitive of the 'game savvy crowd who use Xfire', which is even less important that the general 'game savvy crowd'. Savvy?
    I know it's not a representative sample. My assertion is that they are a game savvy group and as such, they would likely be playing more hours per day than the general population. They would also be more likely to continue playing at max level through the inferno grind or leveling other classes; activities that prolong the lifetime of the game. Casual players generally weren't grinding lvl 99 in D2. The graph should then be higher than the equivalent graph for the general population.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    MOP should have been out about 2 months ago, most of the people from my guild have left the game due to lack of content, leaving me marooned on a dead server with a locked in subscription and no one to play with except randoms.

Here's hoping it comes out before the end of August, otherwise I'm not sure I will have any interest left in it.
    Yet some minority grps actually think cata is the best xpac, in BC sub numbers never dipped and kept climbing well over 11mil before WOTLK hit.
    BC was entertaining until WOTLK came out, well for me anyways, My sub ran out in december when I saw what garbage patch 4.3 was, if I knew it was going to be that bad I would of quit long before.

People are mainly subbed out of habit and for the social aspect I doubt anyone is subbed because the game is better then what it was in the past.

Blackwing Heroine BlackwingHecate's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    I know it's not a representative sample. My assertion is that they are a game savvy group and as such, they would likely be playing more hours per day than the general population. They would also be more likely to continue playing at max level through the inferno grind or leveling other classes; activities that prolong the lifetime of the game. Casual players generally weren't grinding lvl 99 in D2. The graph should then be higher than the equivalent graph for the general population.
    There's one problem with that second to last sentance. Casual players make up the majority of the WoW player base. They are the one's that shoulder the bulk of the burden, and Diablo has exactly nothing to do with this conversation. We're talking about the release date of MoP, a conversation that the player base of Diablo has jack all to do with.
    Nostalgia is the hollow remnants of memories long gone.

-Kaito Kumon (Kamen Rider Baron)

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Because a game that is buy to play isn't competition for a game that has a subscription. As in not everyone is a GW2 fanboy and many people will play both GW2 and Wow at the same time.[COLOR="red"]
    Oh, but it is. Any game which causes someone to abandon another is competition is in a sense. GW2 is one of those games that can make people say "I'm having so much fun with this. I'm not playing WoW. Why should I keep paying Blizzard money?"

And it's already been pointed out in this thread that pay2play mmos have a difficult time getting subscribers back. Letting GW2 come out before MoP will put portions of their subscriber base at risk. Now if MoP isn't done it isn't done. But we shouldn't pretend that GW2 won't affect WoW.