Thread: Hot Dog Cart

Hot Dog Cart

Alright, so. I'm 17 and I've been looking for a job for quite a while now, a few months actually. And it's becoming increasingly annoying to not have one, I live in the UK(Wales) and I've come up with a great idea, why not become self employed? great idea, but I have absolutely no experience with being self employed I just know I have the drive and confidence to try. I just have a few questions, well a lot of questions.

Tax/NationalInsurance

How does that work, I know I have to pay it or I'll end up getting into a lot of trouble and if I'm self employed I'm responsible for paying my own, but how do I go about doing that, and can it be done monthly/weekly straight out of my bank account. I've read up a little about it and It said I'd need to pay yearly, but I only had a quick read and I'd much prefer being able to pay weekly/monthly.

Funding
    I don't actually have any money to get started up, so would my best bet be to wait until I find a job, save up and go from there, or maybe try and get a bank loan? I have no idea how much I'd need but I can research all that and get some rough estimates. If I were to try for a bank loan how do I go about doing that? I think I'd have to make a business plan or something right? D: I have no idea, but what could I do to sway it in my favour of them giving me one?

I want this cart, but it's from an American company and I have absolutely no idea if they ship across the UK I've emailed them, just waiting for a response. but I can't find any good carts that are sold in the UK, they are all terrible really =/

Profit

Now I'm guessing theirs a few of you on here who may have done something similar at some point in your life, how much profit were you making? I know it depends on location and how dedicated you are, but I live in Cardiff which is a really big city, theirs a lot of people in the city centre on a daily basis. also was it worth it? and how much did it cost for you to start up?

I'm sorry for the long read but thanks for your time guys, and I appreciate if anyone could answer even just one of my many questions.

Deleted
    I'll give you the shit side of advice, it's a dumb idea for the UK. Hot Dogs are not very popular, especially not in the manner which they are in say NYC.

In the UK it's extremely rare to see a cart, only place I ever saw one was London. Most carts travel the fair circuit, so unless you want to join a fair then you're out of luck gathering a customer base.

Being self employed is a great idea, if you have an effective business model. And quite frankly a hot dog stand in Wales is not what I'd call a good business model. But if you must, start off doing some surveys of your planned business operating area. Gauge what type of people are likely to buy from a cart and where they're more likely to buy it.

---------- Post added 2012-05-21 at 10:29 AM ----------

Oh and I'll just also leave the obligatory "You should just get a part time job and get a professional qualification so that later in life you're financially secure."

Deleted
    I agree with Uncle Silas. Hot Dogs are popular at the Beach or Seaside, or maybe in parts of London but the income wont be impressive or any good. The cost of buying the cart, the supplies and then rotating the stock and selling on to make a profit will mean it'll require a lot of work. Most people who want something to eat quickly would rather go to somewhere established & clean, then from a random 17 year old on the street.

The job market is a tough place, but there are actually tons of jobs that don't need qualifications, it is just most people don't want to do them. Clean toilets, fluff pillows, dig holes, doesn't matter. It all shows your someone who actually wants to earn money, and move on rather then someone who wants to sit on Job Seekers.

As someone who is running a business, I wouldn't bother with this. I personally wouldn't buy from a 17 year old selling hot dogs on the street, and I am sure many more wouldn't either. Sorry.

No the input is great, be as painfully honest as you can, I just need to get a few opinions on this, I'd still like to try it though even if it does have a high chance to be a flop

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RawrRainbow View Post
    No the input is great, be as painfully honest as you can, I just need to get a few opinions on this, I'd still like to try it though even if it does have a high chance to be a flop
    Sorry mate but that's a dumb idea. The thing costs $3,000 excluding shipping, which will cost around 500 if it has to come by freight. Then you've got the cost of propane, materials, insurance etc. If it flops you're landed with at the absolute least a 5k loan with no means of paying it back, so you're going to have to get a minimum wage paying job anyway.

If your parents are putting up the money for it don't waste their money, or even yours for that matter. You're better off interning for a large firm for experience, then getting a temp job either there or somewhere else. Then applying for a permanent position or training program.

Deleted
    Exactly.

Don't bother with something you know will fail. You said yourself you plan to get a job to fund this, you'd be much better keeping the job. There are also many other self-employment chances, why limit yourself to such a low chance of success?

Honestly. My business advice would be not to bother. I can't see a profit, let alone breaking even. Your age is a huge factor, it does suck I know, but honestly I would never buy my food from a 17 year old on the street, who probably has no idea what he is doing. I'd much rather pop in and grab a sandwich or something nicer then a Hot Dog from a Supermarket.

Isn't the UK all about Kabobs instead of hot dogs?

15+ Year Old Account
    Keep this in mind, it doesn't have to be hotdogs you are selling. Some of the best and most profitable food cart/truck vendors serve something you wouldn't expect. Also, location and time of operation is key. There are food vendors here in the states that set up outside the bar/club district and mke a killing selling to the party crowd looking for the late night munchies. It is possible to make it work, but don't expect to make a killing right off the bat. Also, I would recommend finding another job to start supplementing some funds toyou new business.

You're brave, and assuming you have a good head on your shoulders you will be much richer than the negative posters discouraging you. Go for it!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    You're brave, and assuming you have a good head on your shoulders you will be much richer than the negative posters discouraging you. Go for it!
    Lots of these types of the forums lately.

Ignore this guy, he's just messing with you.

---------- Post added 2012-05-21 at 10:50 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Evián View Post
    Keep this in mind, it doesn't have to be hotdogs you are selling. Some of the best and most profitable food cart/truck vendors serve something you wouldn't expect. Also, location and time of operation is key. There are food vendors here in the states that set up outside the bar/club district and mke a killing selling to the party crowd looking for the late night munchies. It is possible to make it work, but don't expect to make a killing right off the bat. Also, I would recommend finding another job to start supplementing some funds toyou new business.
    Here in Ireland and the UK carts are not a common occurrence at all. If you tried to set one up outside a club? Well good luck buying a new cart.

Well hotdogs is just an example, And theirs always a party crowd here in Cardiff, especially when it's a Rugby weekend or something

@Monk Bewslee, But say for instance you were late for work, and you're rushing would you really want to pop into a shop to get a sandwich instead of grabbing a quick something from a stall on your way to work in the time of need? especially if I'm directly in your path of your office or something, instead of going out of your way to find the store and also picking something out of the different varieties they have? Just wondering D:

Deleted
    A hot dog cart in the UK is just a bad idea, especially in Wales.

Is it really such a bad idea? D: I am blinded by the prospects of success, well It seems I better go back to the drawing board on this |: Sounds like a good idea though Howlsrunner thanks.

Have any of you guys actually been to Cardiff though? It's got lots of tourists, and If you're thinking of Wales like I think you are, It's nothing like Cardiff D:

Deleted
    Well hotdogs is just an example, And theirs always a party crowd here in Cardiff, especially when it's a Rugby weekend or something

@Monk Bewslee, But say for instance you were late for work, and you're rushing would you really want to pop into a shop to get a sandwich instead of grabbing a quick something from a stall on your way to work in the time of need? especially if I'm directly in your path of your office or something, instead of going out of your way to find the store and also picking something out of the different varieties they have? Just wondering D:
    So you are marketing to people that are late to work? Fast food vendors would be better off marketing to drunks, but then i would fear for the cart.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Please, ignore this person.

I'm advising you as a Businessman here, I don't run a small shop in the middle of no-where, but nor do I plan to spill my business life here. All I can tell you is the money needed to start this would be to high, for such a little return on something that wont provide you with longterm stability.

Don't buy the cart, find another job

Dont know what the driving ages is over there, but if you can get a food truck and run around to a few construction sites, you'll make an assload of money (If the food is decent....)
    I dont see why it wont work with a cart, but yeah, food van + work sites = good money, the one on our site is taking in like 7k.
    http://tcgloot.freeforums.org/
    TCG Trading forum, seeing as blizzard took our old one away...

Deleted

No. I still would rather go hungry then risk getting food poisoning from some kid with a cart. You could easily be mugged, have your cart stolen or destroyed. It isn't as easy as it looks or sounds, and most people don't like to eat Hot Dogs served by someone from a cart in the middle of no-where.

---------- Post added 2012-05-21 at 11:15 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded5542 View Post
    Dont know what the driving ages is over there, but if you can get a food truck and run around to a few construction sites, you'll make an assload of money (If the food is decent....)
    I dont see why it wont work with a cart, but yeah, food van + work sites = good money, the one on our site is taking in like 7k.
    This is a better choice, but costs more money to set up. A cart at your age just wont work. Sorry.

I wouldn't do it if it's too much of a risk, I just wanted to get some opinions or even see if people have done this before, I'm just trying to find something that can work because I'm sick of not having a job, I've applied to hundreds and out of those I've had about 5 interviews, so I was thinking maybe going self employed would be a better idea, so a hot dog stand was the first idea, I'll just have to think up something else, so thanks for all the advice guys.