Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

I don't understand house parties.

So I was just watching an episode of one of those cheesy American family sitcoms where the teenage kids throw a house party while the parents are away. And I really did not understand it.

Why on Earth would you want a bunch of rowdy, drunk, problematic teenagers in your house? Random fuckers shitting/pissing in your bathroom, throwing up, breaking stuff, stealing stuff, messing up your bed, eating your food, annoying the neighbours, having fights, fucking on your furniture, and possibly even wrecking your house?

I think parties are great and they definitely are fun, but they are only fun when they are far (see: very far) away from my own house. So can somebody please explain to me what's so great about throwing massive house parties?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's nothing great about them - some people are just foolish and are spoiled, thus I think they don't care about stuff being broken/stolen, hell they aren't even thinking of that - they're thinking of the omg fun time!!! woooo!!!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    From what i've seen house parties start off as the host inviting a few select friends, but everyone has that one friend who is a talker. That friend then tells everyone they meet when and where the party is and the rumor of the party is spread. Then when the party starts the host has people they've never even seen before turning up and because there are so many people they are pretty much powerless to stop all of the people who came for a good time. The hosts options are, deny people entry and get everything trashed. Or let people in and have the opportunity to have a good time...whilst everything gets trashed.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crisjg93 View Post
    From what i've seen house parties start off as the host inviting a few select friends, but everyone has that one friend who is a talker. That friend then tells everyone they meet when and where the party is and the rumor of the party is spread. Then when the party starts the host has people they've never even seen before turning up and because there are so many people they are pretty much powerless to stop all of the people who came for a good time. The hosts options are, deny people entry and get everything trashed. Or let people in and have the opportunity to have a good time...whilst everything gets trashed.
    Doesn't help when all someone needs to say is booze, and you'll have a hundred underage kids show up out of no where.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Most parties at someone's house don't turn out like the ones in movies. Most of those parties take place in comedies and part of the "funny" party is how the place gets thrashed, just something to keep in mind.

Deleted
    It's because many people are idiots. Some people do parties to get friends/reputation, but in the end cops will come and people in the party will exit the house. Here in Finland I've been in small house parties with 10-30 people where everyone knew each other and no1 stole anything. You just have to trust the people to not break or steal anything. And in America these parties are like for +50 peeps like in movies, and everything gets smashed, people get laid on someones parents' bed etc. Not worth a try!

Most people go to them and throw them just to get friends and hook up with girls. It's pretty stupid if you ask me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mludd View Post
    Most parties at someone's house don't turn out like the ones in movies. Most of those parties take place in comedies and part of the "funny" party is how the place gets thrashed, just something to keep in mind.
    So you don't mind leaving people you've never met unsupervised in rooms of your house while you're not there?

A house party at my house would consist of me running around and telling people not to go in there and not to touch that.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    I used to throw some crazy house parties, but it was at my own place. Cops were called a few times but nothing came of it. It was mostly because there was some noise late.

If you have to worry about stuff getting stolen, you have to worry more about who is coming to your house parties.

That being said, I wouldn't do it anymore (I have passed that phase where it seems like a good idea) but I would surely have some people over for drinks/stupid party type games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

Mostly because house parties or even life is general is rarely as depitched in silly american dramas. The ones I have been to are usually friends just getting together and having a few too many drinks, they are fun when you're 18, that's about it.

I've been to a few house parties, mostly while I was at University. Was pretty fun. That said, my group of friends are generally a respectful bunch, so anything that gets wrecked would be purely by accident (and people would be aware of these things so would try to avoid it happening accidentally as well). So they work out ok.

Movies are a greatly exaggerated representation of the typical house party. I'm sure some get that crazy, but most won't.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gruyaka View Post
    So you don't mind leaving people you've never met unsupervised in rooms of your house while you're not there?

A house party at my house would consist of me running around and telling people not to go in there and not to touch that.
    I rarely host parties these days but back when I did it really came down to how trustworthy people seemed weighed against the value of anything in my home that could be carried off.

Also, never had anything stolen (that I noticed anyway). In fact, it seemed to be more likely that I'd wind up with more stuff than I had before (of course, the stuff I got was rarely useful, examples include several meters of plastic fence, several road construction signs and ski poles (in the middle of summer)).

High Overlord Ultraviolet Harmonies's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I much prefer house parties over say - going clubbing. I used to throw them occasionally, invite only a few select friends, who could bring one or two other people. We usually ended up being 20-25 people in a controlled environment. Most of my friends do not share my musical tastes, but they have quite the eclectic tastes themselves. Just do some drugs, listen to some quality music, meet some new people kind of deal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Wounds View Post
    Most people go to them and throw them just to get friends and hook up with girls. It's pretty stupid if you ask me.
    You're right, friends are totally overrated!

Deleted
    I've been tons of house parties. I've never hosted one though. That to me, would be horrible. But going to someone elses house party? Some of the ebst nights out of my life...

But then ofcourse there are some that are just dreadful...

10+ Year Old Account
    House parties are good. Not like a club where its too loud to talk to girls or a big party in a hall or something thats again loud music and alot more people.
    War requires the sledge hammer, but will be decided by the scalpal
    Intel i5 2500k -Intel 330 180GB SSD - Saphire HD OC Edition 7870 - Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel Z77

House parties are a good excuse to socialize with acquaintances and meet friends of friends and play drinking games. They're best when they're not out of control.

I've never hosted one myself, but I wouldn't mind hosting a tame one some day.

My roommates and I threw house parties in college. We also didn't fill our house to capacity with strangers or people we knew would "fsu" when drunk. We let people crash at our house (couch, sleeping bags, pillows etc) if they weren't fit to drive, from out of town, etc. We had a big dining room with hardwood floor that we could play pong in (and clean up spills because we're responsible tenants). We'd play music on the surround sound and/or play stuff like Fifa or Little Big Planet. It was usually louder by the dining room but living room was a more chill, hangout and talk place. We didn't let randoms hook up in our bedrooms and we never got shit stolen. The problems you run into are when you let random people come in.

House parties are always better than some high price club with $9 jack and cokes.

However, back in high school, THOSE house parties were pretty lame. I loved hanging with my friends but the whole, "My older brother bought us natty lights" or parents' rum in a water bottle vibe was dumb. Especially since the biggest one that got thrown in my high school was busted by multiple sets of parents (tight knit neighborhood), it just wasn't worth the drama.
    Last edited by Projali; 2012-05-20 at 03:09 PM.

Deleted
    parties i have

- booze, pizza, cake, snacks
    - 4 big ass tv's (won like 5 in an lan competition - cheap brands tho)
    - two PS3's and 2 WII's (for the girls mostly)
    - lots of sofa's
    - Ipod dock - stereo music system. People can dock their music if they want to.
    /enjoy.

At the end - everyone leaves sober/tipsy - unless they want to crash at my place - then I take responsibility and don't get drunk.

max people I invite is about 20-30. I don't accept complete strangers unless they are GF/BF from friends i hang out with.

I host awesome game parties and get sponsored by the local game shop (pizza's included)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishpaladin View Post
    House parties are good. Not like a club where its too loud to talk to girls or a big party in a hall or something thats again loud music and alot more people.
    Ever noticed the volume on your amplifier after a good house party? Too loud? Holy shit I've been in shock a few times the day after when I've turned on some music, without checking the volume. The more alcohol people down the higher the volume gets, it's only natural.

BOOOOOOOOM!!

House parties are great, I've never gotten anything stolen, I had a guy puke in the bathtub though, but thats as bad as it has been.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...