10+ Year Old Account

Just got in a car accident.

I was driving on the highway this morning going to meet some friends. I was in the left lane, and I went to shift into the right lane, and for whatever reason I didnt see that there was a small car beside me, I guess it was in my blind spot. Our cars didnt collide, I swerved to the left into the grass and have no injuries on me or my truck, but the car swerved right, and right into the guard rail goin 70+ miles an hour. I got out of my car and ran to see if they were okay, and god bless they were fine, just a little shaken up.

Im 17 years old, and this was my first accident, and to make matters worse, the women in the car was 30 weeks pregnant. She is fine but I can help being upset with myself and sick to my stomach at what could have happened to her and the baby.

I know I fucked up, and I apologized at least a hundred times even though I know it probably doesnt mean much, but now I cant help feeling apprehensive and even a little scared driving.Not scared driving, but that I could potentially hurt someone else.

My question is if you guys have ever been in an accident where it was your fault and you knew you fucked up, and how or if you got over the shitty feeling of what could have happened or did happen? I feel like complete shit right now, but I thank god for him not letting the women or baby get injured, as I couldnt live with myself had I injured them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mixed up a prescription and almost gave someone a medication that would have likely resulted in his death. Luckily the pharmacist caught the mistake, but it was pretty scary and I've triple checked every medication since then. What you need to remind yourself is that no one was seriously harmed, and carry that knowledge with you into the future to avoid any more accidents. You did a lot, lot more than what a lot of other people would have done in that situation by going back to help the other driver.

Hopefully it made you respect driving more and to take extra care...most of the time when some jerk on the road causes an accident they walk away with just a bruise or 2 yet end up killing a family in the other car...seems to be the case for those twats that drink and drive.
    Not calling you a jerk btw i was referring to the young teens 'boyracers'/drinkers that have no respect on the roads/think its a fun game to go screaching about acting all cool.

Only accident i had was not stopping in time and i hit a car in front, luckilly i had almost stopped so it did no damage to his car whatsoever but mearly dented the plastic grill on my front end. Ive been in a crash or 2 that wasnt my fault nor was i the driver...bad ones.

This makes me want to inflate my tires fully again, because I've neglected that for a few months so that I slip in every corner, driving on the edge of accidents.

Ah well.. my chair is too comfy.

Just be more careful and learn from your mistakes.

I rear ended a car a few years ago. No one was hurt, but my younger sister was in the car with me. I felt really shitty for a long time because I was just shaken about what could have happened to her. She isn't little, 21 now to my 25, but still, it was a bad feeling. Only thing is some good does come out of accidents. I, like I'm sure you will from now on, be a lot more careful while driving and look around more and be aware. I start to stop 100yrds behind cars and drive at least 50+ feet behind them now, just so I know I always have enough time to stop. Important thing is no one was hurt, and it won't go away right away, but you did learn from your mistake.

15+ Year Old Account
    Drop all those "what if.." and you will be fine.

Deleted
    My only accident too. Went too fast on a road i did not know very well. dark + shitloads of snow and a 3-way junction. the car did not brake so i tried to steer out of it but i was going around 60mph at the time i went of the road so nothing much to do there. The most annoying part was to go look for all the tools lost in the snow on the field i ended on. That of course happened because the side door to the storage room was not really mounted to the car i had just picked up from the paint shop. thankfully it was not mine and my boss did not get furious with me or anything. stupid vw transporter t5.

EDIT: no this never made me scared of driving. if you never push it over the limit you never know where the limit is.

Deleted
    Expect the feeling of apprehension to last at least a couple of months when you are out driving, it will probably start to fade away after that and you'll forget it happened. Accidents happen so don't feel too bad as long as you learn from it.

Advice from experience on both sides of an accident claim procedure:

Get the insurance stuff/repairs sorted out quickly as even with the best of intentions these things can drag on and any misunderstandings between the parties can be blown out of all proportion and leave you footing a pretty big bill. Deal only with your insurance company - you pay them to be intermediaries in cases like this so make sure they do their bit. Don't contact the other party at all, even to say you are sorry or send flowers or whatever, it's not worth making yourself more vulnerable to spurious claims. Your insurance premium will increase but shopping around when your current policy expires will still usually net you a better deal, even with an accident in your recent history.

If you're like me you'll be a better driver from now on, we all make mistakes and this one worked out for you so don't feel too bad about it.

Good luck.

Deleted
    It happens mate, for reasons similiar some of my friends and family won't drive.

Well, quite a few years ago my mum had come into my room with my little bro to wake me up, I jolted up and headbutted in the face him rather hard, needless to say I felt sick.

10+ Year Old Account
    I totaled my car when I was 17 in a really bad accident which was completely my fault.

The shitty feeling will go away, you're just still rushing from it. The fear of driving however may not unless you get a hold of it. My accident was in the dark and I was in the hospital for days, so every time afterwards I saw headlights I panicked. Instead of sucking it up and making myself drive I just let myself be afraid and have other people drive me around. It took me years to get over it. In a week or so when you feel better make yourself drive again.

Most of the time we get in wrecks because we get too comfortable and over confident. Now you aren't, pay attention when you drive and you'll be fine.

Deleted
    Aww, that's terrible!

Sorry Myrrar. <3

Deleted
    I was driving my motorcycle inside the city 2 years ago, in a road that the speed limit was 30km/h, me rushing to go to work i was speeding over 120. A kid popped up in the middle of the road chasing a ball, and i freaked out not being sure if i had enough time to brake, so i instead turned and crashed into a parked vehicle.
    I was relatively okay, was lucky not to break any bones, but the fear of killing a child made me obey the speed limits in residential areas for the rest of my life.

Deleted
    Accidents happen mate. Don't beat yourself up over it. Also the person that said "forget the what ifs" is right.

I've nearly killed myself in accidents twice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bgknoccout View Post
    EDIT: no this never made me scared of driving. if you never push it over the limit you never know where the limit is.
    Most of the limits for driving are generally on big signs scattered all over the place.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!