Thread: Holy vs Disc

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Holy vs Disc

I really enjoyed playing Disc this expansion, especially since there are many different ways to play a disc priest.
    My Disc priest was my Alt, while my Holy Pally was my main... Ever since they changed the way of Holy Pally healing, i've sort of stopped playing it.

Now i've noticed in Heroic 25 man dragon soul, the Holy Priests are significantly out healing the disc priests. Mostly due to the fact that can Divine Hymn every 3 minutes (and being Holy it's healing is increased). I switched back to holy and actually liked it better than disc... Have holy priests taken their spot back as being a better healer than Disc priests, or does it really depend on the fight??

It sort of depends on the fight but it seems like holy priests are just more powerful healers. Disc priests are great to have because of all the damage they prevent but when it comes to straight up healing the holy priest will probably win.

Disc is more versatile, barrier is godsend on progress and smiting can help beat those tight enrage timers. Holy shines more in 25man with clear healing assignments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy in a 25man is just crazy compared to Disc, so much more AoE heals, which results in significant more healing than discs. On the other side, discs bring a unique healer design of absorb spells (let's pretend holydin mastery doesn't count). If you think about it, dmg absorb is just like bonus HP... which helps alot in fights since you can see when the boss is doing which ability...

It's really fight dependent... holy shines for stacked fights, while disc shines on predictable damage fights like Morchok, Hagara and Warmaster Blackhorn.

Sanctuary is very OP for Madness, Spine, Zon'ozz and Ultraxion. Yor'sajh is really rng, so it can go both ways.

My priest is holy/atonement disc. I use holy for raids and honestly I prefer it to disc (any type), but sometimes I use atonement disc for 5 mans. I also use that to solo. I know it is not as fast as shadow, but I fine it enjoyable and fits my image of what the character is like (not on a RP server, but an old time fan of table top RP, so I make back stories for my toons).

Deleted
    I played most of the progress in DS as a disc priest (10). Only Hagara i preferred holy (divine hymn at lightning phase is n1). Yesterday I cleared DS as holy (I also changed gems) and in my eyes all bosses, except of Zonozz (I lost about 10k hps in comparison to my disci performance, but our shadow played disci and he shielded everything .....) are nice to play as holy. Especially Spine is very relaxing as I don't have to play around with rapture, what is really exhausting at spine. I only missed PW:S for spine as the holy version is not that strong. I guess in 25men holy is even stronger but never the less there was not a big difference in the end in my eyes between both speccs if I only have a look at hps.

Deleted
    As a main spec shadow priest I find it easier to run with a holy offspec (I have a seperate gear set so not talking about sharing gear). Holy has the ability to be stacked into a raid and still be useful. Disc priests... don't stack so well. I'd consider 1 disc priest almost mandatory for 25man progression, but 2 just doesn't work so well. Fighting for raptures or having your throughput massively gimped on specific targets due to weakened soul just isn't fun. However the mitigation makes a big difference when first progressing a boss.

15+ Year Old Account
    My guild is currently 6/8 heroic modes, and I have both holy and discipline as my specs (MT disc, though my gear doesn't necessarily support it). I go disc for Mor'chok, Zon'ozz, Warmaster, Spine. I go holy for Ultrax, Hagara, and Yor'sahj. It really does just depend on your role in the raid and the encounter itself.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Holy is in good shape right now indeed. Discipline is a bit lower in terms of hps but this is because of very big raid-damage absorbtion from Barrier I guess. So they both will do the job perfectly just go with what you like the most (for me it always has been Holy for example).

Disc is better by far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't expect to get any information out of a thread like this. There is no answer both are very strong so play what you like or are more required to play.

I would say disc for 10 mans holy for 25 mans.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't say either spec is better/worse for 10s/25s, both specs can shine on certain fights. It also depends on what other classes you are healing with.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by steveyboy View Post
    Disc is better by far.
    holy is better by far.

Problem? (lol)

Seriously, both disc and holy are even right now. Differences are irrelevant with the -15%, so you could say that the best spec is the one you like the most.

PD: /agree Rfx
    Last edited by mmoc3d05ee6dd7; 2012-04-06 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethas View Post
    Holy is in good shape right now indeed. Discipline is a bit lower in terms of hps but this is because of very big raid-damage absorbtion from Barrier I guess. So they both will do the job perfectly just go with what you like the most (for me it always has been Holy for example).
    I would have to agree with this. Holy looks better on the meters because barrier won't show up, while DH does; but in reality they are equally viable.

Quote Originally Posted by scandore8472 View Post
    I would have to agree with this. Holy looks better on the meters because barrier won't show up, while DH does; but in reality they are equally viable.
    +1 this. Holy brings raw HPS while Disc brings lifesaving Shields and Barrier. I would think most people agree PS is a better oshit button than GS most of the time too.

They both have use in DS, as other people have said.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsplodey View Post
    +1 this. Holy brings raw HPS while Disc brings lifesaving Shields and Barrier. I would think most people agree PS is a better oshit button than GS most of the time too.

They both have use in DS, as other people have said.
    The only time PS is better is when GS simply doesn't work due to the mechanics of the ability (for example, Impale on heroic madness. When we started progression a while back, GS would not save a tank from impale, same as ardent defender would not. PS, then, was superior).

PS, however, doesn't actively save lives. It mitigates damage, sure, but if used at 10% hp some attacks will mean deathblows regardless. GS can be used at 10% with a fair amount of certainty that if the tank takes another hit before a heal, he will not only survive but be brouht back to a respectable hp level.

It's hard to say no to Yoo-Hoo chocolate drinks...the name literally beckons.
    Tactical Disaster - Stormrage-US
    16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

PS also reduces several devastating blows if they come in back to back streaks (hello Blackhorn). The bonus healing from GS counters that somewhat but relies on additional input, whereas PS is an almost guaranteed increase in TTL (barring the 10% situations you mentioned) for the duration.

imo Disc shines more in a 10man where the dps requirements are alot tighter. Holy, however, is still a brilliant spec and can pump out big numbers whereever it goes.