High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Help making a resumé

So I need to start looking for my first job and I have never made a resume before. I found this website and was wondering if this was okay to make myself one. Do you guys have any tips on what to put on and what not to put on? I honestly don't have a ton of things to put down so im having trouble with coming up with things to add. Do you add your hobbies or interests to your resume? I really am lost

Here is the site I was referring to http://www.nycareerzone.org/cz/resou...ker/resume.jsp
    Last edited by Sharp15; 2012-05-21 at 06:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just look at the jobs you are applying for and try to match as many keywords as you can in your resume

10+ Year Old Account
    Attempt to distinguish yourself as an individual. Put in your qualifications, of course, but attempt to separate yourself from everyone else applying for the job. If a boss sees that every single person is qualified, than he or she is gonna care more about those who have other skills that are beneficial to the job like communication skills or leadership experience than someone who got .2 higher on their high school or college GPA

Try typing with a cockney accent.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Try typing with a cockney accent.
    I'd hire anyone with the dedication to do that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd put down hobbies if they are relevant to your job and show any certain qualifications. For example, if you like to do 3D modeling as a hobby and you're applying for a 3D graphics job you might want to put that down (I'd probably list it as a skill) even if you have no formal training in 3D modeling (though it would be optimal in this case to have formal training.)

Now if your hobby is basketweaving, well they might not care about that, unless you're applying for a job to make baskets
    Putin khuliyo

As far as I know, people put their hobbies on the cv/résumé, if the hobbies can be qualified as "normal hobbies." (Things like computer games, role playing etc. that are stereotypically practiced by weirdos are in general a big no-no.) I'm definitely not any sort of HR professional, but listing hobbies other than just 3d modelling or basket weaving gives some hint that the applicant is a sane and a stable person with other things in his/her life than just the job, and hence the risks of having an upcoming burnout or just a plain wacko are lower than with a person who's entire life circles around one thing only.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    When writing your resume, write it like you would a book, rough draft and all. Try not to be too verbose when mentioning things that you see as inconsequential. I hired a younger gentleman the other day because he actually took the time to make his resume appealing. He didn't have the best qualifications, but he showed dedication.

Off-topic: Is writing a resume not a part of the high school or college curriculum. I still have text books that go into detail about different resume formats, guidelines, no-nos etc. and I graduated in 1996.

Mod Note: For some reason, this thread and several others today have shown a topic of 'null' on the front page. I'm sure you know the cause .