Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account

Your favorite Dungeon Crawler game?

To preface myself, I'm not much of a gamer. In the last 6 or so years I've probably bought less than a dozen games. D3 was my first dungeon crawler and I have to say I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Earlier today I picked up Torchlight (on sale for $4 from Gamefly) and I really enjoy that game as well...its neck-and-neck with D3 in my book as the game play is pretty fun and the cartoony art style seems to work pretty well for the game. I'm thinking I will be looking for another dungeon crawler once I've played through the two I'm working on right now....perhaps Titansquest?

I'm just wondering what some of the other favorites are in the MMO-C community?

Titan's Quest was my favorite. I did enjoy the first Dungeon Siege as well.

Deleted
    If you don't mind the drop in graphics, I'd recommend D1+exp and D2+exp. If you like D3 but just want a new story when done, D2 especially is one of favorite hack'n'slash-dungeon crawler games. If you want a bit more to manage in regards to skills, talents, quests etc, then I'd definetly recommend Baldurs Gate and/or Icewind Dale. Both contain a lot more rpg, and is in general a different playstyle (you can pause the game to set up optimal casting-sequences etc) - both are also fairly old, so graphics is far from what it is today, although I won't exactly call it bad.

Kinda hard to chose. ARPGs are my favorite genre of gaming. So there are many games I enjoy here...

Overall best: Diablo 2.
    Downside was D2 was rampant with botting and it was sorta needed for top level play. But as an entire package and general feel of gameplay, D2 is still the high water mark.

Best Mechanics: Path of Exile
    In essence a mish-mash of a lot of other mechanical elements from older games. However, Grinding Gear Games [devs] really, really understand the math crunch addiction of an ARPG. The degree of mechanical development is actually impressive. It also has the v. interesting enemies to fight- whereas many ARPGs throw dumb hordes at you to make you feel awesome.

Path of Exile is very much a "veteran's game" of the genre. Not many things are explained, the supporting systems are obtuse and upper game difficulty make it punishing to newcomers. The game allows players to make mistakes early on that will cripple them in subtle ways later on with no safety net or protection from your own ignorance.

POE is sort of game you won't necessarily "get" without having played this type of game extensively or someone explaining the specifics.

Personal Favorite: CHAMPIONS OF NORRATH!!!
    Kinda can't talk about this game without losing my mind. It's awesome, fast, beautiful and just amazing... zomg... sequel please...

Spacehulk, Torchlight, Titan's Quest, Nox and D1, Final Fantasy Legend, Deadly Towers, Fate, and Fatal Labyrinth were all exceedingly awesome/amazing. I enjoy.

Dark Alliance was okay. But.... Champions of Norrath, ohnomnomnom...

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Kinda hard to chose. ARPGs are my favorite genre of gaming. So there are many games I enjoy here...

Overall best: Diablo 2.
    Downside was D2 was rampant with botting and it was sorta needed for top level play. But as an entire package and general feel of gameplay, D2 is still the high water mark.

In essence a mish-mash of a lot of other mechanical elements from older games. However, Grinding Gear Games [devs] really, really understand the math crunch addiction of an ARPG. The degree of mechanical development is actually impressive. It also has the v. interesting enemies to fight- whereas many ARPGs throw dumb hordes at you to make you feel awesome.

Path of Exile is very much a "veteran's game" of the genre. Not many things are explained, the supporting systems are obtuse and upper game difficulty make it punishing to newcomers. The game allows players to make mistakes early on that will cripple them in subtle ways later on with no safety net or protection from your own ignorance.

POE is sort of game you won't necessarily "get" without having played this type of game extensively or someone explaining the specifics.

Personal Favorite: CHAMPIONS OF NORRATH!!!
    Kinda can't talk about this game without losing my mind. It's awesome, fast, beautiful and just amazing... zomg... sequel please...

Spacehulk, Torchlight, Titan's Quest, Nox and D1, Final Fantasy Legend, Deadly Towers, Fate, and Fatal Labyrinth were all exceedingly awesome/amazing. I enjoy.

Dark Alliance was okay. But.... Champions of Norrath, ohnomnomnom...
    By sequel you mean this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champions:_Return_to_Arms

Its been out for years...

But yes Fencers post is pretty much spot on, although they missed Titans Quest which I found extremely fun.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    By sequel you mean this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champions:_Return_to_Arms

Its been out for years...
    Yea, I played both CoNs. A third game is what I wish for- a sequel.

Yea, I played both CoNs. A third game is what I wish for- a sequel.
    You didn't say that! Yes, there should be a new CoN game. AND a new SW: Battlefront game (which might be happening).

I dream for a new Dungeon Keeper game as well, and maybe another Myth game if I'm being ambitious :P

Myth was terrific! 3rd game was terrible though.

Myth was terrific! 3rd game was terrible though.
    It does not exist. Its when Bungie was bought out by Activision and they had a different studio do the third game

Deleted
    by space hulk do you mean this game fencers?

loved this spacehulk was my first games workshop tabletop game, so I always had a soft spot for it

Titan Quest, still playing it frequently. Lots of build/gear combinations, and the mods (mostly for new skills and items) for it are great. If interested - check www.titanquest.net/ and it's forums.

Dungeon Siege 1&2 were really good too. I really liked throwing weapons in DS2, especially with expansion that let you combine ranged+combat magic.
    Last edited by Against the Modern World; 2012-05-21 at 08:16 AM.

Deleted
    I think my favourite dungeon crawler was Stonekeep. I loved that game so much. Legend of Grimrock is close enough to keep me happy though. Dungeon Keeper 1 & 2 were awesome as well, I've heard runours of a Dungeon Keeper online but whether that's true or if we'll ever see it I don't know.

Diablo 2 favourite.. then Dungeon Siege 2.. and then Ultima 8.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    The true measure of a person is how they act when they know they won't get caught.

Diablo 2 is my personal favorite by far. I've tried the rest and while many are decent, I don't feel they measure up to D2. I have yet to bot in D2 and I still play it. There is still an active community for trading and even "junk" white items can be traded for some of the best gear.

Diablo 3 is decent, but it won't measure up to some of these other games until the next expansion for it comes out. Currently playing on inferno and it's just lacking certain elements that would make it great.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines....

Deleted
    Gauntlet, omg I used to be so addicted

Is this still in beta/unreleased?

moria!

<.< >.>

(wait, is that shifty eyes, or staircases with a lighted space between them?)
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

diablo 3 is the most fun ive had in ages

Deleted
    Played Gauntlet many years ago, but there was one level that was broken, and couldn't be passed, so that was where my game always ended. If it weren't for that I imagine I could have played it forever.

I played Titan Quest, but there was nothing about it that really stood out for me.

Most recently (in the last 2 weeks) since TL2 is getting closer to completion, I've pre-ordered it and got TL1 for free. My Alchemist is quite good fun (lvl 40 so far) and the mods available are good, though some I feel are very game breaking (mobs only drop unique items 100% chance, enchanting is risk free) that I would hope can be somewhat controlled in an online game. I found that the saved game editor made borderlands a little broken when I played it online with randoms, as they could one-shot crawmerax with fake weapons.

The temptation to cheat in a game with mods is very high, and unless you've already played the game to death 'honestly' before you do it, it will ruin your experience.

I'm waiting for a Diablo 3 sale to come along (or the equivalent to the Starcraft 2 trial) because I don't think a dungeon crawler should be 60euro. I loved the previous Diablo games, but 60euro is a bit steep w/o the ability to try the game beforehand (and no, open beta is not the same as trying the finished product).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    Is this still in beta/unreleased?
    yes. I played the stress test and its really fun. I dont usually play these sort of games, but playing on hardcore league in POE was really fun. Scary but fun.