Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    OP seems to suggest the failing(s) of D3 are somehow tied to it not being an MMO.

Imagine if it was, had huge open world and stuff. That would compete with WoW! So, the reason Diablo 3 sucks, is becouse of WoW. Blizzard didn't want to have another MMORPG-style game to compete with their WoW to begin with. At least that marks the conclusion of my analysis.
    ^ This is utter nonsense.

Diablo as a franchise is known for being the, "THE" defining game of the genre commercially and critically. The chances of Diablo 3 being an MMO are pretty low.

Also, Blizz are working on another MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Lol, say what? Fucking NOBODY who has ever seriously played Diablo 1 or Diablo 2 wanted D3 to be an MMORPG. If Blizz had done THAT, THAT really WOULD have ruined D3.

Seriously, saying D3 should have been an MMO is like saying the next Call of Duty should be a real time strategy game. Regardless of whether or not you LIKE RTS games or prefer them to FPS games, you don't release a CoD sequel as an RTS, just like you do not release a Diablo sequel as an MMO.
    The truth is: we already have proof this doesnt work in the real world. Final Fantasy 11 and 14 are both far under the other "modern" FF games 10, 10-2, 12, and 13. And 13 sucked. but still not as much as 14
    Originally Posted by Zarhym
    It does no one any good to make GhostCrawler the scapegoat for all design decisions you disapprove of. Not how reality works.
    https://twitter.com/CM_Zarhym/status/275712376840531968

10+ Year Old Account
    If you truly expected Diablo 3 to be an MMO then you are seriously misinformed. It has always been intended as a hack n slash, dungeon crawl game just as its predecessors. I do agree that WoW has had an impact on how Diablo 3 is being handled but it is still Diablo.

Deleted
    NO... just NO. Diablo 3 should never be an MMO...
    This is just wrong, I don't want everything I do on an MMO being fighting 8 bosses in 4 dungeons... or w/e the number of bosses is. Don't compare apples with oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistgard View Post
    Seems like some old time fans are genuienly upset about the current direction Diablo 3 is currently taking.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4210122845

Now I have to agree. Im not personally a fan of the game, haven't bought it, but it looks really as if this series has taken the step to wrong direction. I did some research and found out, that Diablo 3 was originally meant to me an MMORPG type of a game to begin with(!)

http://www.diablowiki.net/Diablo_III..._North_version

Imagine if it was, had huge open world and stuff. That would compete with WoW! So, the reason Diablo 3 sucks, is becouse of WoW. Blizzard didn't want to have another MMORPG-style game to compete with their WoW to begin with. At least that marks the conclusion of my analysis. Wich is really sad; Diablo 3 could've been a fun game with some MMORPG elements to it, wich could've inevitably drained the players away from WoW. Result would've been probably a better/funner game, but a direct competitor to WoW.
    This is a really dumb post. Honestly.

Blizzard didn't want to draw fans away from a Blizzard game, to play another Blizzard game.

That makes 0 sense. Blizzard wouldn't mind because either way, they would still be making money from that person. You either pay $15 for WOW, or pay $15 for D3.

Like they care.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenia View Post
    NO... just NO. Diablo 3 should never be an MMO...
    This is just wrong, I don't want everything I do on an MMO being fighting 8 bosses in 4 dungeons... or w/e the number of bosses is. Don't compare apples with oranges.
    They can make an MMO with the Diablo setting and not have the mechanics or structure of Diablo the ARPG.

In fact, I think the most successful MMO did just that. Guess who did it and what game it came from.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Opinions are opinions.
    The vast majority likes it = it's good.

old time conservative hardcores would never accept anything but an exact D2 clone with more polygons.
    Conservatives != the future
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Quote Originally Posted by CrisuKomie View Post
    This is a really dumb post. Honestly.

Blizzard didn't want to draw fans away from a Blizzard game, to play another Blizzard game.

That makes 0 sense. Blizzard wouldn't mind because either way, they would still be making money from that person. You either pay $15 for WOW, or pay $15 for D3.

Like they care.
    Diablo is one time off. WoW is expacs+monthly fees. Go figure.

I'm just going to leave this right here, don't mind me...

"While the proud child remembers his father that died, the cycle continues with vengeance alive in his eyes." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRLl2...feature=relmfu Immortal Technique Ft. Ill Bill - War Is My Destiny

Read the link that OP mentioned, some things I agree with others not (to a point). For someone who mentioned that "the link" was making no sense of the elites. He is right, I am afraid. Some elites abilities combination are easy while others basically "here you die". Being a barbarian I know what he means by melee thing, maybe you should play a melee class to understand a little bit.Crafting is useless, its the new gamble system. Just because you dont see it or dont want to see it doesnt mean that the game didnt have things wrong.

Diablo 3 is a good game dont get me wrong, but he might be right about it being "play for a while" then go play other games. If you like gambling then Diablo 3 would please you with the "items" system, thats all.

As it being an MMO, well who knows. It failed being a single player game (with always online thing), and it failed with being close to MMO's. So we got something in between...they aimed to make money and they made money out of us!

As for the rest, read the link he posted before commenting. It saves time explaining things that has been explained.

15+ Year Old Account
    I even replied to that thread which the OP posted, there were three points which I have addressed, first I dismissed his graphics-related concern because for all I know people used graphics as their heavyweight argument when arguing why D1 is still better than D2 back then it is just that people have forgotten it and are blinded by nostalgia. The 2nd point were some unfair monster (yes, it is monster, *not* mob) properties to which they will certainly find a way to balance it without trivializing things - but tbh I would leave it as is, the sense of masochism you had to develop in order to kill hard 'unfair' packs was basically what people actually liked in D2. The 3rd point was class balance, I remember when D2 came out there was a heavy class imbalance.

Either way I don't see how this is related to WoW and how WoW has ruined D3. You can't expect a developer house not to have some sort of inhouse collaboration and knowledge transfer going on especially if it's going for the better. In my opinion the people who want D3 to actually follow the design rules of WoW in the long term are far worse.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Deleted
    Coca Cola ruined Ice tea! Because Ice tea was meant to be refreshing! And coca cola didn't have any refreshing drink to compete with in the first place!

Edit: Oh and not to mention fruit drinks, damn those fruit drinks ruined ice tea also! darnit!

Deleted
    Your wrong. It's the wow fans who complain to much about D3 because they except a wow game with 2012 graphics. Everyone i know who played D2 loves D3 insane.

Deleted
    I'm closing this, it's just going to start a wow vs diablo argument.