Diablo 3 accounts hacked, despite authenticator

Full article here.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...d-items-stolen

Now people can't even enjoy their online single player game because their accounts are getting stolen! Utterly and totally ridiculous and unacceptable on behalf of Activision.
    White Knights on mmo-champion.com forums: Able to troll with no repercussions!

10+ Year Old Account
    Another case of "OP didnt read the article"

No accounts with authenticators have been confirmed compromised. Move along. Nothing new to see here.

Donlan did not have the authenticator before the hack, but reports suggest accounts have been compromised even with this enabled.
    "Reports suggest" doesnt mean anything. That could just be "A lot of people got hacked, and some of them had authenticators, right?"

If eurogamer got a report from anyone saying "I have an authenticator and I got hacked" they would have said that.

Deleted
    quote from article -

Blizzard offers an Authenticator designed to provide extra security to your account. Donlan did not have the authenticator before the hack, but reports suggest accounts have been compromised even with this enabled.

no sauce for those reports suggests scaremongering

/thread

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems that the rumor going around - according to the article at least - is that the unscheduled maintenance was an SQL injection attack that managed allow logins with user details that bypass the authentication server, rendering the authenticator useless.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems that the rumor going around
    Notably, blizzard is also leveraging loot drops in Diablo 3 to specifically force you to use the AH. Fox News delivers.

Such cases have happened with WoW in the form of malware that would take your key and block the user from authenticating with the server. From the assumptions on the article it sounds like there might be an actual man in the middle attack which makes me go WTF. Im just glad that Blizzard is acting fast on the customer service side unlike they did with WoW and blamed the players until after a months worth of investigation.

10+ Year Old Account
    I read the article. Notably, it was lacking things like facts. Lots of speculation and rumors and suggestions. Few facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Senaelanna View Post
    Full article here.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...d-items-stolen

Now people can't even enjoy their online single player game because their accounts are getting stolen! Utterly and totally ridiculous and unacceptable on behalf of Activision.
    i dont know whats worse, the fact that the guy got hacked over diablo3.. or the fact that you think activision can stop hackers, especially when im pretty sure? that activision doesnt own d3

Can't say I'm surprised that people are being hacked. Even people who have played WoW for several years have no idea how to protect themselves. So I can imagine the influx of entirely new Bnet'ers being ripe for the picking.