Did they get rid of gambling?

Title says it all, just wondering if there is anywhere to gamble in D3 like they did in the previous games.
    Your face when the Scoundrel is Gallagher.

Well, blacksmithing has a faire amount of gamble.. as you don't know what stats will come out.
    Yellow items with the right stats on it are worth more then legendary/set items.

Gamble is still there, you still make items with random stats with BS.

True, I guess that is relatively the same thing.

I realized after a bit more research that they couldn't actually implement a legitimate "gamble" NPC like they had in the previous because soon in game currency can be bought with real money, therefore you could be theoretically gambling with real money, and then you have to deal with governments wanting their cut via taxes and all the other red tape that comes with gambling laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodenkrieg View Post
    I realized after a bit more research that they couldn't actually implement a legitimate "gamble" NPC like they had in the previous because soon in game currency can be bought with real money, therefore you could be theoretically gambling with real money, and then you have to deal with governments wanting their cut via taxes and all the other red tape that comes with gambling laws.
    Didn't even think of that.

True, I guess that is relatively the same thing.

IIRC - That is the reason the game was held up in some countries.

The charge to put things on the AH, the BS being so much like gambling in one version. IT was to close to online gambling for some counties to just accept right off the bat when there would be no regulations beyond whatever blizzard wanted them to be. It was unacceptable till blizzard made changes, now it's just questionable IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    IIRC - That is the reason the game was held up in some countries.

The charge to put things on the AH, the BS being so much like gambling in one version. IT was to close to online gambling for some counties to just accept right off the bat when there would be no regulations beyond whatever blizzard wanted them to be. It was unacceptable till blizzard made changes, now it's just questionable IMO.
    I had heard that the RMAH won't be released in South Korea. Not to offend but I literally thought that was because legal profit from a video game? they would kill themselves from lack of sleep. those guys don't play around when it comes to blizzard games. I'm looking at you Starcraft.

I had heard that the RMAH won't be released in South Korea. Not to offend but I literally thought that was because legal profit from a video game? they would kill themselves from lack of sleep. those guys don't play around when it comes to blizzard games. I'm looking at you Starcraft.
    I don't really see how the RMAH would stop a game from launching anywhere tbh. It's not gambling. It's not like you can stay up for 48 hours and make more money. It's all dependant on people buying your auction.

Shit, with the federal government in the US I'm surprised they allowed it to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    I don't really see how the RMAH would stop a game from launching anywhere tbh. It's not gambling. It's not like you can stay up for 48 hours and make more money. It's all dependant on people buying your auction.

Shit, with the federal government in the US I'm surprised they allowed it to happen.
    It depends on how auction income is determined as per the country. Techincally in the US, it is against the law to NOT report all income to the IRS come tax season. This would include any and all auctions on the RMAH or Ebay, it doesn't matter. However very few , if any, will report them as they will be such small amounts it won't really matter in the end.

However with the RMAH, there are other issues being that it is all virtual. No money is actually being generated by Blizzard, it is all "traded" by the players. Since it is not a physical good or service there might be different classifications to how it would be considered income and / or banned from certain countries.

I could however be wrong, thats just how I see it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Synche View Post
    It depends on how auction income is determined as per the country. Techincally in the US, it is against the law to NOT report all income to the IRS come tax season. This would include any and all auctions on the RMAH or Ebay, it doesn't matter. However very few , if any, will report them as they will be such small amounts it won't really matter in the end.

However with the RMAH, there are other issues being that it is all virtual. No money is actually being generated by Blizzard, it is all "traded" by the players. Since it is not a physical good or service there might be different classifications to how it would be considered income and / or banned from certain countries.

I could however be wrong, thats just how I see it.
    Blizzard does take a cut out of each transaction though. So they are making, real world money

Crafting is the new gambling, basically.