10+ Year Old Account

Damage of Dual Wield

How does Blizzard calculate the Damge for Dual Wield ?

If i wear a 630 DPS 2H Weapon with 0.95 attacks per second my Charinfo says 8000 Damage, if i wear dual wield, what i normaly do because the dodge monk works the best for me up to inferno skel king now, with 2 weapons with around 500 damage each and 1.4 attacks per second it only says 5000 damage, how can this be ?

just a guess but look at the actual damage numbers on the weapons not the DPS?

From what i understand you dont get the damage from the offhand only stats and the 15% weapon speed for dualwielding. I am tank specced and im doing the same damage with one hander as dualwielding.

I had a 150 2hander, and found a 155 1hander, when i equipped it my DPS went up from around 1200 to 1500. Now that I had a 1hander, i needed an off hand, so i put in a 90-something offhand. My dps went back down to 1200. Now, why would my DPS go down from adding an offhand? When i finally found a second 150 1hander my dps shot up to 2000. I'm not really sure how this works.

10+ Year Old Account
    My first thought was that it works like in WoW but it seems to be a complete other mechanic.....

i heard that both wepaons gets aggregated then divided with two + 15% speed bonus, readed this a second ago from soemone other on the official forums, but i dont see a point because even if i wear a two hanbd wepon wich dps is lower then my one hand it gives higher damage in the info.

Deleted
    In a nuttshell
    Only speed and other more complex variables get affected
    Dmg does not, if you equip a legendary on your off-hand and a used dirk on main-hand, it will be the exact same dmg as the other way around

Deleted
    Dual wield displays the average DPS of both weapons.
    Mainhand weapon only matters for talents like a certain barb passive, otherwise it doesn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshitsuna View Post
    Dual wield displays the average DPS of both weapons.
    Mainhand weapon only matters for talents like a certain barb passive, otherwise it doesn't.
    This is correct. (Well it also gives a passive 15% attack speed) However it has to be said that if you are using a vastly inferior offhand weapon than you are basically nerfing your damage, and you might as well use 1 weapon.

15+ Year Old Account
    Dual-wield is only good if the weapons you are using are equal. Me for example I am using a 180dps and a 168dps weapon or something like that, however if I were to take off my 168dps weapon I only lose 300damage. The weapons themselves will alternate during attacks, which is why two equal weapons are better otherwise each second hit will be lower. As pointed out you gain 15% weapon speed while dual-wielding to make up for those hardhitting two-handers.

Also here is a good answer with pure math on how the damage is calculated. Sadly it seems to be calculating with one weapon and not dual-wield.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by furcouch514 View Post
    I had a 150 2hander, and found a 155 1hander, when i equipped it my DPS went up from around 1200 to 1500. Now that I had a 1hander, i needed an off hand, so i put in a 90-something offhand. My dps went back down to 1200. Now, why would my DPS go down from adding an offhand? When i finally found a second 150 1hander my dps shot up to 2000. I'm not really sure how this works.
    The thing is that the off hand had way to little dps and set you back even if you get the 15% AS buff but the fact that the 150 weapon alone is better than 1 good weapon and 1 lousy weapon. If that happends then get a shield and you would be able to have the good dps from your current weapon aswell as survivability with your shield if you don't find any weapon up to par with your current one!

Aside from milking Life-on-hit, I find it sad that DW is so far behind a 2h in damage.

Also it's quite silly how you actually have to switch to a shield to deal higher damage if one of your weapons is vastly stronger than the other. A more reasonable path would have been to make 1 handers have a base dps and stats 50% lower than 2 handers.
    Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calamari View Post
    Aside from milking Life-on-hit, I find it sad that DW is so far behind a 2h in damage.

Also it's quite silly how you actually have to switch to a shield to deal higher damage if one of your weapons is vastly stronger than the other. A more reasonable path would have been to make 1 handers have a base dps and stats 50% lower than 2 handers.
    You don't gain damage from using a shield if your offhand is bad, you get high survivability which would outway the low damage from the offhand especially in the later difficulties.

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    You don't gain damage from using a shield if your offhand is bad, you get high survivability which would outway the low damage from the offhand especially in the later difficulties.
    Actually, you are mistaken. Because of the way they determine damage, it's possible to do more damage with just weapon X + shield than weapon X + weapon Y. Just equip one good weapon and one mediocre one and you'll see. Your DPS visibly drops by a large amount by USING the second inferior weapon. Add a shield instead, and you're going off just your primary weapon, and your DPS will increase. It seems irrational, but that's how it works.