Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkkitehti View Post
    If you were repeating events at level 7 (Without actually wanting to repeat them) you were doing something wrong. Also not sure why you put the random in there. Nobody ever said they would be random.
    I was under the impression they were supposed to be dynamic. Dunno, I made a Charr Guardian and ran out of things to do by level 5. Wasn't high enough for another zone, so I just ground enemies for an hour.

Poorly designed game, but I guess you get what you pay for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Resies View Post
    I was under the impression they were supposed to be dynamic. Dunno, I made a Charr Guardian and ran out of things to do by level 5. Wasn't high enough for another zone, so I just ground enemies for an hour.

Poorly designed game, but I guess you get what you pay for.
    Actually, they've said that the leveling scaling was off because of adjustments they'd recently made to various things (experience earned, mob difficulty, etc etc). You weren't supposed to ever run out of stuff to do. Next BWE should show a marked improvement in this area.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Maybe he just wants a bit more direction in his play. That's ok, it's not for everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Actually, they've said that the leveling scaling was off because of adjustments they'd recently made to various things (experience earned, mob difficulty, etc etc). You weren't supposed to ever run out of stuff to do. Next BWE should show a marked improvement in this area.
    Hopefully.

Well i agree that level scaling was off, but i never found myself grinding to lvl up. If i was stuck on a lvl i would just explore and get exp for the next level, but dont forget that playing beta isnt the final version and they probably will fix level scaling as it seems like a lot of ppl had the same problem, give it a try on release if you have pre-purchased.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Resies View Post
    Hopefully.
    I believe u know , that the <<grey hearts>> on the map , are not the real dynamic events
    Just normal repetable quests , with 2-3 <<parts>>

Well it also depends on what you were doing. If all you were doing was chasing the Renown Hearts (which quite a few people did) then yeah, you aren't going to get enough experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Demithio View Post
    Title says it all, I haven't been following GW2 real closely so I'm wondering if it is just another ease of use combat-centric MMO such as WoW, or does it have good combat with a healthy amount of meaningful RPG elements. In short, time sinks other than constant combat. Stop and smell the roses type of stuff.
    Far less than WoW actually.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Well it also depends on what you were doing. If all you were doing was chasing the Renown Hearts (which quite a few people did) then yeah, you aren't going to get enough experience.
    Definitely true, but as I said, ANet wants you to be able to do that and never run out of shit to do. I ran around chasing Renown Hearts, but I kept running into DEs to do as well, and when I felt like I had nothing to do, I ran off to do the personal story - thank god for waypoints. A couple of times I ran back to old areas specifically looking for DEs I'd already done, although once or twice I found shit I hadn't found before.

I didn't hit a snag til around level 22, since I couldn't jump to the personal story when I felt like I was too low leveled to do the Renown Hearts I ain't done yet. I'm very much hoping ANet tunes the experience gain and level requirements better!
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Title says it all, I haven't been following GW2 real closely so I'm wondering if it is just another ease of use combat-centric MMO such as WoW, or does it have good combat with a healthy amount of meaningful RPG elements. In short, time sinks other than constant combat. Stop and smell the roses type of stuff.

I'm looking for an MMO that puts me into a world environment, not just an "action packed" twitch fest like WoW or some others, where the environment simply serves as a platform for combat. I know that's a bit of an "old school" request.
    The majority of PVE gameplay is very Hack-n-Slash. Guild Wars as a franchise is closer in spirit to an ARPG [Diablo, Torchlight] than true MMORPG [Everquest, Ultima].

That said, there is a great deal of exploration and world impressiveness in Guild Wars 2 that is in stark contrast to what most MMOs these days offer. However, the combat here in GW2 is the most twitch based of current MMOs and the game is essentially a nonstop mob grind in PVE.

Combat is more action-y/juvenile than a proper MMORPG.

I really disliked GW2, It felt very boring, bland and dead to me. I think wow is a much better mmo.

Infracted for Trolling/Baiting
    Last edited by Jovanaar; 2012-05-22 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    Let's be honest: combat is a big part of pretty much ever game. It's gonna be a while before we see a dialogue based MMO.
    Starwars: ToR?

There is a lot of fighting in SWTOR. Conversations are what you do between murdering.

Need an mmo based on Zork.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    What this guy ^ said is correct...my god...x wasn't right in beta...fuck all pretense...the game is surely to fail because their first BWE didnt go so well...as such im going to choose to NOT follow up on the feedback they provided and assume they aren't fixing shit. This game won't be for everyone but its frustrating when the same people that give shit to others for NOT praising it try it and then give shit to those that do...and its all within the space of a few hours of play.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Need an mmo based on Zork.
    I would enjoy.

Actually, I tried to play a MUD again a few months back. There is kinda no going back once you have graphics in the medium of video games. Perhaps if the quality of writing was there... but nah.

I really enjoy LA Noire but hated the quick time/console fighting bullshit. Wish I could have the writing and sophistication of Grim Fandango w/o the game-y elements of forced action you see in LA Norie, Red Dead Redemption or Walking Dead.

Somebody snatch up Brian Fargo, Tim Schafer, Steve Meretzky, Takashi Tokita and the guys from the Chinese Room to make a game for me. Like just me. Forget anyone else, they don't deserve such potential awesome.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-05-22 at 06:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Actually, I tried to play a MUD again a few months back. There is kinda no going back once you have graphics in the medium of video games. Perhaps if the quality of writing was there... but nah.
    Fully agree with this. I played Grendel's Revenge some years ago (and as crazy as it sounds, that's actually the medium through which I met my girlfriend, who I've now known since... I think 2003 or 2004, if not longer), and I've tried various MUDs to get back into the groove, but can't seem to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Demithio View Post

I'm looking for an MMO that puts me into a world environment, not just an "action packed" twitch fest like WoW or some others, where the environment simply serves as a platform for combat. I know that's a bit of an "old school" request.
    I don't think this game is for you then. You might be better of with real life.

I'm not sure you guys know what hack&slash means... GW2 combat is nothing like a hack&slash and is very similar to WoW (with the option to move while casting).
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The majority of PVE gameplay is very Hack-n-Slash. Guild Wars as a franchise is closer in spirit to an ARPG [Diablo, Torchlight] than true MMORPG [Everquest, Ultima].
    Well, for me Everquest and Ultima described what MMO shouldn't be :P. Played a lot, enjoyed quite less...

I could compare that to Strategies genre. We started with turn based games and ended up with real time strategies. We had Everquest, WoW and now we have GW2, Tera etc.

I still play turn based strategies to this day (M.A.X. or HoMM), but it's just in melancholy "mode". If you ask today someone about strategy games he will answer with starcraft, warcraft or dawn of war and not HoMM :P. Same thing applies to MMOs the old model(everquest) it's still playable, but it's just getting too old.

Very soon, "true MMOs" term will apply to GW2 and other newer titles which actually push genre forward and things like Everquest, WoW or Rift will be long gone and just brought up occasionally on forums when people start reminisce the "old times".