Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

How do I lose my "gamer bulge"?

By any standard I'm a fairly healthy individual. With a BMI around 26 I could probably drop a few pounds, but that's no my priority right now.

However there is one thing that annoys me about my build and that's what I've come to call the "gamer bulge". It's something that I see a lot in gamers as it's probably connected with excessive "sitting down".

This bulge is best described as an overly-pronounced top-tummy muscle compared to the rest of your body. Where excess fat normally accumulates around the waist-line the "gamer bulge" grows between your chest and your stomach. Yet the bulge isn't fat. It's just a muscle (don't know the exact term) growing in the wrong direction or becoming very pronounced for other reasons.

Do you have any practical tips on how to "normalize" it?
    Last edited by mmoc433ceb40ad; 2012-05-23 at 06:54 AM.

I'm not really sure what your talking about but maybe try and turn it into abs of some sort. If the picture that i have in my head is correct then i think any ab workouts will do just fine. That is only considering you go to the gym or workout often. It's obviously not something thats going to go away in a day but if you work at it, the "gamer bulge" will go away and turn into something better looking. Anyway moral of the story is workout your abs more. Still not completely sure but maybe this will help. Sorry if this isn't at all what "gamer bulge" is, just trying to help :P

Deleted
    Stand up while playing computer??

On a serious note. The problem would be that it most likely does contain some fat - and the only way to get rid of that, is to loose weight. As far as Im aware its still not possible to focus redution of fat to a particular area(even though TV-shop/twins say so for most of their ab-workouts).

You can tighten up the area through workout. But that doesnt mean you'll necessarily "loose" the bulge.

Otherwise I would advise talking to your local gym.

It's adipose tissue, aka fat. It's not some muscle you've developed by sitting for prolonged periods of time. The area you're referencing is most likely the upper portion of your rectus abdominus. Your gamer bulge is a gamer gut, I'm afraid.

Men develop fat stores on their abdomen first. It's why you can see older guys with a very pronounced gut but disproportionately skinny arms and legs.

You fix it through exercise and diet changes. Balance your macros in favor of protein and healthy fats. Don't snack on chips and soda during raid night.

"But Projali, how do I figure out my daily calories so I can flatten this gamer bulge out?"

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...od-for-thought...

"How do I get my muscles conditioned so my hobby and desk job don't keep wrecking my posture and core/leg health?"

http://www.stronglifts.com

Remove the chair, sit on an exercise ball. Of course it won't do you much good without exercise, but the subtle isometric strengthens your core.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Not sure who you've been talking to, but that's not some random mysterious muscle, it's fat, or Muffintop, if you will.

Diet and exercise is the only way to remove it.
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?

It's off topic but it seriously annoys me seeing it used several times in this thread. Lose and loose are two different words, you want to lose your gamer fat! GRAMMAR NAZI OUT!
    Hunter POV Streaming PVE/Arena/RBGS/LFR.
    www.twitch.tv/poorplay
    http://www.own3d.tv/Poorplay
    @obvioustrollz

Eat less, move more, lift weights twice a week, repeat forever.

http://www.fitocracy.com/home/ fitness for gamers

Deleted
    i'd say run run run Forest, every morning

Gamer bulge?

Sorry you're just overweight, no such thing as gamer bulge.

What the OP is talking about actually does have some factual basis. Excessive sitting does cause upper abdominal hypertrophy, at the expense of the strength of your Iliopsoas muscle group.

Generally-speaking going down this road can lead to serious postural health problems that are difficult to diagnose and resolve. What I would recommend for dealing with the possible long-term muscle strength disparity is making a habit of doing some sets of at least bodyweight squats. If you are not doing this as part of a proper structured resistance training regimen, then it is perfectly safe to do some bodyweight squats everyday, but doing some overall compound exercises with freeweights or at least dumbbells is preferable.

Again, this is not necessarily an issue of fat accumulation, there are definite postural issues stemming from discrepancies in relative muscle strengths that arise from excessive sitting.

That's actually an extremely developed set of muscles only the most avid of gamers can develop and learn to control. With enough practice, you can start to use your "gamer bulge" as a third arm, allowing you to spam space bar while pvping even more aggressively, which obviously makes you do more damage and healing.

Quote Originally Posted by underdogba View Post
    What the OP is talking about actually does have some factual basis. Excessive sitting does cause upper abdominal hypertrophy, at the expense of the strength of your Iliopsoas muscle group.

Generally-speaking going down this road can lead to serious postural health problems that are difficult to diagnose and resolve. What I would recommend for dealing with the possible long-term muscle strength disparity is making a habit of doing some sets of at least bodyweight squats. If you are not doing this as part of a proper structured resistance training regimen, then it is perfectly safe to do some bodyweight squats everyday, but doing some overall compound exercises with freeweights or at least dumbbells is preferable.

Again, this is not necessarily an issue of fat accumulation, there are definite postural issues stemming from discrepancies in relative muscle strengths that arise from excessive sitting.
    It's called being overweight, stop trying to find excuses for it. It is what it is...eating too much, not enough exercise...dont try blaming the fact you have to sit down to play games.
    Last edited by Cheersbrah; 2012-06-10 at 12:29 PM.

I thought this was called a beer belly?

Solution is to exercise.

Untie it. That will make it loose.

However if you want to Lose it, then work out a bit more, maybe stop gorging on junk food and sitting in front of a monitor/tv for hours on end.

10+ Year Old Account
    BMI isn't the greatest tool, but it can be used as a general guideline. Having a BMI of 26+ isn't a bad thing if say you can run a 4.6 40 yard sprint and can bench press 300 lbs... I'm going to presume you can't though, and your BMI of 26 is valid and you just need to drop 20 lbs.

Drop 20 lbs and your "gamer bulge" will vanish.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Deleted
    You obviously cant lose just the belly fat.
    You HAVE to lose fat ALL OVER YOUR BODY.
    And "Gamer Bulge"? Bull.
    No exercise and no fruit / no vegetables / lots of junk food and soda = FAT.
    Dont blame games.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harzaka View Post
    You obviously cant lose just the belly fat.
    You HAVE to lose fat ALL OVER YOUR BODY.
    And "Gamer Bulge"? Bull.
    No exercise and no fruit / no vegetables / lots of junk food and soda = FAT.
    Dont blame games.
    You didn't read the OP at all did you?

Please stick to what the OP is actually discussing and not drop in your opinions based on the title. Thank you.