10+ Year Old Account

[Music] House: The origin.

Do you remember your first electronica fix? Perhaps you got hung up on some Pendulum, or even more common: Dead Mau5. Let's take it a step further and put you in the era of our most recent bastard...SKRILLEX.

All three of those performers are of different genres, of course. However, they all share the same root: HOUSE. Even deeper: Disco. But let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Let's start from the beginning.

People, get educated. It's about time you house, French House filter, electro-house, trance, progressive trance, ambient trance, techno, happy-core, trance-core, dubstep, rocka-electro, acid, acid-drop, and more...come from...

Behold your roots:

Also bow to your king: Daft Punk.
    Last edited by Cuchulainn; 2012-05-23 at 08:51 AM.

Deleted
    house was still just one step on the ladder, it didnt come from nowhere. Funk and soul in the 60s/70s, and garage & disco of course from the 70's played a huge part in the emerging club / dance music scenes.

I never really liked house music as a sound, the 4/4 beats, cheesy vocals etc never did anything for me. As a teenager growing up in london in the early 90s, I was much more interested in the emerging jungle and hip hop scenes myself. Seemed that the weed crowd would be at the raves, and the drinking crowd would go to house clubs.

Yello put down a lot of the basics for what would become modern electronic dance music, in my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    These guys too.

---------- Post added 2012-05-24 at 01:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by harkonen View Post
    house was still just one step on the ladder, it didnt come from nowhere. Funk and soul in the 60s/70s, and garage & disco of course from the 70's played a huge part in the emerging club / dance music scenes.

I never really liked house music as a sound, the 4/4 beats, cheesy vocals etc never did anything for me. As a teenager growing up in london in the early 90s, I was much more interested in the emerging jungle and hip hop scenes myself. Seemed that the weed crowd would be at the raves, and the drinking crowd would go to house clubs.
    My post is more about the origin of popular electronic dance music. Mostly of the pure electronic variety. House was a stepping stone, yes. However, it's still very popular today, which can be seen in artists like Dead Mau5.

Most electronic genres today can indeed be traced back to House. Techno was people in Detroit trying to create House, but it ended up too depressing. Drum N Bass/Breakbeat/Dubstep came from British R&B producers speeding up their music to House tempos. Trance got rid of the soul and funk roots behind House.

House more or less is Disco. It never "died" in the late 70's as the myth suggests, it merely evolved as synthesizers and drum machines reached consumer level prices, making it cheaper to use those rather than hiring fancy string quartets for their productions. This occured at the same time independently in America and Europe. In America it got labeled House, in Europe it got labeled Italo Disco/Synthpop.

Love that documentary.

I really like the documentary about Detroit Techno as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    These guys too.

---------- Post added 2012-05-24 at 01:18 PM ----------

My post is more about the origin of popular electronic dance music. Mostly of the pure electronic variety. House was a stepping stone, yes. However, it's still very popular today, which can be seen in artists like Dead Mau5.
    yeah I have some friends that are crazy for house, its like a religion to them

this was also an important record, from 1983. (its been ages since I saw that documentary and the detroit techno one, so not what year house 'started' will have to rewatch it sometime soon.

and planet rock of course hip hop would also have a claim to first really popularising electronic dance music, but I guess actually seeing an origin is hard, with synths being commonplace since the 60s, and people always trying new things. Some pink floyd tracks could even be seen as very early signs of dance music. Kraftwerk were personally my first experience of it I think, I got the tape because it had a song 'I am a robot' and I liked transformers at the time Wierd that you should link that video

Last edited by mmoc47607dc526; 2012-05-25 at 02:33 AM.