Poll: Would you rather have things or do things?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Would you rather have things or do things?

Simple question: Would you rather have things or do things? Would you rather travel the world or own a multi-million dollar apartment overlooking Central Park? Would you rather fly to space or have own a Ferrari? All these questions boil down to whether you would own things or do things.

Personally, I'd rather have things. While it is nice to have memories and experiences, those are all in the past-tence. They already happened and are no longer happening. Things, on the contrary, you own indefinitely. It would be nice to travel the world or leave the planet, but I'd much rather own the nicest apartment in New York and drive a 7-figure car.

I would rather do things. Being able to go out and experience this amazing world's nature and national monuments would be better then having an apartment/mansion with a view.
    Impossible is a word found only in the dictionary of fools

- Napoleon Bonaparte

Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Simple question: Would you rather travel the world or own a multi-million dollar apartment overlooking Central Park?
    Well, for one, if I was rich, I wouldn't be paying RENT. EW! An APARTMENT???

I would rather have things and spend the time at home or w/e with my wife and family.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Deleted
    The only point of wealth is to allow you to do more things. Or do the same things in a better way.

Without the doing, it would be pointless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post

I would rather have things and spend the time at home or w/e with my wife and family.
    If the prices for the apartments overlooking Central Park are anything like the absolute best locations in massive economic centers that I know, its probably 5-12 million to own it.

Do things. If I ever find myself at the point where I no longer desire to expand my knowledge and improve myself, find myself lacking that drive to push forward and better myself in life... life would no longer be worth living. It is what we do in life that defines us, not who we are

10+ Year Old Account
    I care a lot more about the experiences I've had than the things I've had. My journeys around the world have enriched my life in ways that the ownership of a Ferrari could never do.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    I'd rather do things. Big fancy house, fancy car, etc etc... just more shit to clean at the end of the day.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Much rather have things. I would much rather have a exotic like a Ferrari then take a trip to space for example.

---------- Post added 2012-05-23 at 07:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post

In large upscale communities in Cities you buy the really nice apartments for several million. You don't pay rent on them.

Deleted
    Depends on on what do you mean by 'have or do'. If I choose do, will I be able to do whatever I want?

For example walk into a restaurant and eat. I don't need to HAVE a restaurant if they give me food becasue I'm the one who can DO things.
    Can I walk into a cinema and watch a film? I don't need to own it if they will let me use it whenever I want.
    I don't need a plane if they will fly with me whenever and whereever I want to go.

IRL doing something usually means you have those things or at least you have that much money to rent them, but if I really can do whatever I want then I don't need to own.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Personally, I'd rather have things. While it is nice to have memories and experiences, those are all in the past-tence. They already happened and are no longer happening. Things, on the contrary, you own indefinitely.
    Hmm. Do things. Past-tense? No, if you consider you "own things all the time" then you have to give the other option the same treatment "do things all the time" and thus you'd always be doing something intense, exciting. Plus, you'd have good memories of the past and lots to look forward to.

Also, owning things you're very limited:
    You can have multiple 7-figure cars but you can only drive one.
    You can have a mansion in every city of the world but you can only be in one place at a time.
    You can have nice clothes but you only wear one set.
    You can have lots of paintings, art and music albums but you can only look/hear one at a time (properly anyways).

While doing things, you'd always be doing something you want without limitation and you would do what makes you happy right? Then you would always be happy throughout your whole life. On the other hand you could own stuff, not indefinitely like you said, but until you died... and that doesn't necessarily translate into happiness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Neither. I would rather have things to do.

I see no distinction between the two you mentioned.

Perhaps a better question would be if you preferred material possessions, or real life experiences?
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    My own personal feelings are that I would rather do things, but here's how I would approach this specific binary question:

I would have things.

And since the question is set up to assume infinite resources to support either choice, I would then sell some of the things I have, so that I could then go and do things. Win. #gamethesystem

Have things. I've always wanted to own a plane, then I can go do things in my plane.

Deleted
    Have things. But you cannot split it up like you did.
    Say you have things, the Ferrari, or a plane or whatever, you wouldn't actually be able to drive it, because you have to "do" something in order to drive it legally.

So your question should be, (seeing this question is an ultimatum) Would you rather have unlimited wealth, or would you work your way to wealth?
    Due to wealth being a important factor to act freely and then "have things".

As I said, I would rather have things (wealth). With more money than I could spend on a life time, I would get all the experiences I could in my life. Travel the world, own cool stuff (cars, boats, planes) And be able to drive and steer them. I would Like the ability to live my life free. If I should get bored, I could always apply for a flexjob or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well...isn't having things what allows you to do things?

But answering your own examples, i'd much rather travel the world and go to space.

Do things. I've been on so many adventures that now that I'm "settled down" there's like nothing in my house I don't have common uses for, there's nothing decorative at all.

I would rather have things and then be able to do things as i pleased

Deleted
    I'd rather have things. Going up to space might be cool, but I'd rather have a nice home to live in.

I'd like to have things so I could give things to other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Riot View Post
    I'd like to have things so I could give things to other people.
    I would rather have people earn what they own. It creates a greater value in the item for them.